Breaking: Tylor Perry enters transfer portal

29 minutes ago, tmjerm said:

I’m with you old timers about missing the good ole days…but these ain’t them and it’s one of those classic, don’t hate the player, hate the game situations.  If you want to be mad, be mad at the  NCAA or our fellow alumni who chose ignore reality or not to care.  Asking Tylor to forgo $30,000 minimum to a long term reality of millions for his own life future in exchange for being loyal to our silly egos is antiquated emoting now.  I totally get it.  I miss true commitment.  But this isn’t only pure capitalism now, it’s the wild Wild West and every man has to play his cards right to make the most of himself.  Don’t judge TP with the standards of yesteryear.  

All in all, I think all will wish only the very best for the great Tylor Perry!  Nothing but good memories. 
AF1758F6-C024-4A85-A327-60ABACF03415.jpeg.e12eccf21508c4bab9cf7efea2216eb4.jpegAD71F10B-36D6-44D6-A0A7-34FA61E9EF04.jpeg.b31575d303e5a05aae38575df755e55b.jpeg

• Upvote 3
  • Oh Boy! 1
  • Downvote 2

3 minutes ago, El Paso Eagle said:

Realize a bit of the subject, but were all of these transfers without sitting out? Still not clear how players are playing at 3 or 4 schools and staying eligible.

COVID years and NCAA getting weak on transfer rules and eligibility chaos.  Everything turned into eligibility dementia.  It really is just mania.  Which is why what we’ve been able to do the last few years is incredible and also why it’s hard to be too mad at TP.  The environment is insane and as a Program you  just have to embrace it and catch the waves.  The real solution is to stabilize eligibility and the portal and cut this chaos down and that means actual power from the governing body.  Til then, we need to be constantly recruiting and always anticipating Sissokos in place of Ousmanes. 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Travis said:

Oh good. This is fun for me too. Glad we see it the same way. 
the context is obvious but seems to escape you. So I will mansplain it to you since you need it so… he didn’t create the accolades he did for himself at Tulane. He scored 13 points on a bad Tulane team in his second year. Now, and stay with me here because I know this one is hard for you….  When you become ‘great’ like he did as a CUSA POY instead of using his last year to go elsewhere or just going pro, he stayed to push his program he was already at to a whole other level. Which is where the respect comes from. But so often, players at ‘lesser’ places will parlay that into another program that they think will give them more back. And regardless of if it does or not… I have more respect for those that stay true to the program that made them that way instead of leaving.
Context is a bitch but I know after laying out the blueprints to it all that I believe you can follow that enough. I believe in you. You got this champ. 

awesome! I love fun!

it's still hilarious that you're insisting on using a player who has transferred twice (and may well have not had another transfer option after last season?) as a pillar of loyalty...but sure, if that loyalty is only meant to begin after your junior season and a tier-two conference player of the year honor, I'll leave this here:

https://www.al.com/uab/2022/04/jordan-jelly-walker-declares-for-nba-draft-maintains-college-eligibility.html

so...he came back after getting little pub in the NBA waters and likely not having another free transfer available. 

I think everyone should be very honest about TP. he's not playing in the NBA and I can see a path that he doesn't have a ton of want to play in Europe. he has a 5-year-ish window to maximize his this incredibly rare opportunity. you can not like that his last year of bonus eligibility won't be spent here, but to begrudge him not returning is really just being petty AF.

• Upvote 4
  • RV 1
  • Oh Boy! 1
  • Downvote 4
  • Puking Eagle 1

1 hour ago, MeanGreenZen said:

Has a transfer-out ever made it into the UNT Hall of Fame? Should they?

In these days of NIL we must look at transferring for the final season the same way as we view foregoing the final year of eligibility to turn pro. Of course we want them to stay but players must do what's best for them and their families.

We lost Ryan Woolridge to Gonzaga and replaced him with Javion Hamlet, lost Hamlet to pro ball, and replaced him with Tylor Perry. Perry is now in the Transfer Portal. Due to outsting recruiting by our coaching staff we've been replacing star players with star players. Let's see who's next. That next superstar point guard may already be on the roster.

So, anyway, if their body of work while they played at North Texas is Hall of Fame worthy, they belong in our Hall of Fame.

• Upvote 7
  • Downvote 1
  • Puking Eagle 2

1 hour ago, tmjerm said:

I’m with you old timers about missing the good ole days…but these ain’t them and it’s one of those classic, don’t hate the player, hate the game situations.  If you want to be mad, be mad at the  NCAA or our fellow alumni who chose ignore reality or not to care.  Asking Tylor to forgo $30,000 minimum to a long term reality of millions for his own life future in exchange for being loyal to our silly egos is antiquated emoting now.  I totally get it.  I miss true commitment.  But this isn’t only pure capitalism now, it’s the wild Wild West and every man has to play his cards right to make the most of himself.  Don’t judge TP with the standards of yesteryear.  

Wisdom beyond his years: 

• Upvote 2

52 minutes ago, Side.Show.Joe said:

I think we all heard the story of Perry growing up wanting to play at UNT, just like his cousin Jeffrey Simpson. He got his wish, but I guess it wasn't enough. I guess I'm just old school when it comes to things like loyalty.

I am grateful for the time Perry played for UNT, and for the success we had while he wore our uniform. But, he doesn't bleed green. The guys that stay and wear our uniform until they earn their degrees or leave for a professional league, they bleed green. 

giphy.gif&f=1&nofb=1&ipt=b4191733a1fac6c

Well said. Thank you for pit stopping along the way and bye. I will not follow any player or coach that leaves. They are not us, they were simply masquerading as one of us. 

• Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 1

Mason Fine has a better chance of playing in the NFL than Perry playing in the NBA. Why the smoke screen? Enjoy your last year in Lubbock. Thanks for the memories. 

Guys there are a ton of guys in the portal looking for more money and/or the right situation. I thought one of the benefits of hiring Ross Hodge was the possibility of him retaining this roster. With Ousmane and now Perry hitting the portal after his announced hire, he’s going to have to really earn his pay.

Also, too bad the staff looked short term in recruiting last year with the signing of a few 1 year rental guys. LSU women won a national championship in Kim Mulkey’s second year with 9 portal girls. It can happen. 

In hind sight, would it have been better to bring in a coach that could have brought in 2-3 of their own players as part of a package deal? I’m sure it’s a resounding no. In Hodge we trust. 

• Upvote 4
  • Haha 1
  • Eye Roll 3
  • Downvote 3

6 hours ago, Cooley said:

Mason Fine has a better chance of playing in the NFL than Perry playing in the NBA. Why the smoke screen? Enjoy your last year in Lubbock. Thanks for the memories. 

Guys there are a ton of guys in the portal looking for more money and/or the right situation. I thought one of the benefits of hiring Ross Hodge was the possibility of him retaining this roster. With Ousmane and now Perry hitting the portal after his announced hire, he’s going to have to really earn his pay.

Also, too bad the staff looked short term in recruiting last year with the signing of a few 1 year rental guys. LSU women won a national championship in Kim Mulkey’s second year with 9 portal girls. It can happen. 

In hind sight, would it have been better to bring in a coach that could have brought in 2-3 of their own players as part of a package deal? I’m sure it’s a resounding no. In Hodge we trust. 

Who did you want as HC?

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, SUMG said:

Trying to be positive.....I'll say this:

Two years ago....none of us knew who Tylor Perry was.

A year ago....we didn't know Kai Huntsberry or Moulaye Sissoko.

So if we can keep our core intact (Rubo, Moulaye, A Scott, Matty, Moore)...along with Alex Cotton......and add some good pieces to it.....we'll be all right. Hope so anyway. 

Agreed but I also don’t think it is wrong for some of us to feel a sense of loss about losing some of the greatest coaches and players in the history of the program either.

2 hours ago, TheReal_jayD said:

Ousmane was gone no matter what. Perry going to highest bidder. Hodge was the right answer. He was the master mind of the defense that has put north Texas basketball on the map. Head coaching experience. Also per sources not at north Texas. From an actually college coach that has coached in multiple p5 conferences as well as cusa while hodge was there. Told me hodge would be a bigger loss than GMac for North Texas. Said very few peoples truly understand how much he actually coached the team. In Hodge we trust 

I agree with this.  I could tell by the adjustments at halftimes and Grant asking Ross for advice during timeouts that Ross was the guru of the team.   We're lucky to keep him!

• Upvote 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 1