Sissoko>Abou?

Abou has just been in a slump recently. We all know he can do better, he just needs to snap out of it. Sissoko has improved tremendously, and we are all enjoying watching him do it, but he is not the scoring threat Ousmane has been for us in many games. What Sissoko has been getting lately is where he should be IMO, with minutes increasing as he continues to get better.  

• Upvote 6

On 3/16/2023 at 4:00 PM, Tom McKrackin said:

He was substituted for Abou early and did quite well making some good plays and playing good defense.  He has not played basketball for very long.  I think it is time for Mac to give him a chance in the starting lineup starting Sunday. 

Sissoko has potential (0 points today) but Abu is ready now. We missed him inside today. Thankfully the perimeter shooting was on fire!!!

• Upvote 6

16 minutes ago, Hookset said:

Sissoko has potential (0 points today) but Abu is ready now. We missed him inside today. Thankfully the perimeter shooting was on fire!!!

I didn't miss him.

...before y'all downvote me...

...rather, I spent some time thinking, "gosh we look different without him.  As in, seems like a different offensive gameplan."

Thankfully for today, it worked!  DISCLAIMER: I did not think, "gosh we could be winning by 50 if Abou was here."

• Upvote 7
  • Downvote 3

18 minutes ago, greenminer said:

I didn't miss him.

...before y'all downvote me...

...rather, I spent some time thinking, "gosh we look different without him.  As in, seems like a different offensive gameplan."

Thankfully for today, it worked!  DISCLAIMER: I did not think, "gosh we could be winning by 50 if Abou was here."

Against a weak opponent that wasn't athletic enough to cover our shooting, while shooting lights out. What happens when we aren't on fire and the other team is in your face on every shot? 

It was good to show a different look and adapt, but having more options is always better. There is nothing stopping us from running this system even if Ousmane is available (we did at the beginning of the year when Martinez was getting all of the backup minutes), however without him we are severely limited going down low for points in the paint. 

• Upvote 6
  • Thanks 1

Any and all doubts were answered by this game today.The first rebound came directly down to Sissoko and he lost the grip on it because he still lacks basketball instincts. He then missed layups which should have been high percentage dunks.

We desperately need another big for next year either way. Hopefully we can find something in the Transfer Portal.

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, ADLER said:

Any and all doubts were answered by this game today.The first rebound came directly down to Sissoko and he lost the grip on it because he still lacks basketball instincts. He then missed layups which should have been high percentage dunks.

We desperately need another big for next year either way. Hopefully we can find something in the Transfer Portal.

Abou does this stuff too. Especially when he was at the point in his career that Sissoko is at now. How many bunnies has Abou missed this season?

With that said, I see some glimpses of what could be a good big in Sissoko, he just needs experience. And I think, to your point, that's where we need an experienced big right now while he is learning.

• Upvote 4

2 hours ago, BigWillie said:

Abou does this stuff too. Especially when he was at the point in his career that Sissoko is at now. How many bunnies has Abou missed this season?

With that said, I see some glimpses of what could be a good big in Sissoko, he just needs experience. And I think, to your point, that's where we need an experienced big right now while he is learning.

I like Sissoko a lot and I am thrilled we have him. But at this point Moulaye needs a lot of training and experience.

To see what Moulaye could become, please look no further than this example, with both at 6-9" 240, the similarities are uncanny:

Michigan State roster

Very similar, though no relation that I know of.

• Upvote 1

FDU has the smallest team in D1 and that didn't stop them from beating Purdue and almost beating FAU. Maybe we don't absolutely need him to beat OSU.

I like Ousmane a lot but I worry he lacks the athleticism at his size to make much of a difference against an OSU. His best asset, from the outside looking in, is his basketball savvy. Often seems to be in the right place. Hopefully he's able to give us a good interior presence on Tuesday. We can't keep missing the easy opportunities near the basket like we have so often this season. He missed a dunk and 2 layups early in the UAB conference tournament game. Can't have that here.

• Upvote 1
  • Oh Boy! 1

Both Sissoko and Ousmane are very valuable pieces of NT's team.   Ousmane as inconsistent as he has been is able to dominance games.   Sisscoko may have improved more than anyone in the last year. 

Morgan is an unknown, but with McCasland's reluctance to play deep bench players; it is hard to determine how good he is. Being  that all three are underclassmen, it does not appear that recruiting a big is a high priority. 

Retaining Perry and Huntsberry has to be the major emphasis in recruiting. 

Eady, Martinez, and Browne are apparently out of eligibility, but who can tell these days.  

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, bstnsportsfan3 said:

If he was in New York last night for a family emergency, id say the likely hood he is back by Tuesday is pretty slim. I just hope everything is all right with his family!

Agree, and as much as I love UNT basketball what he is dealing with is more important. Hoping that he and his family are ok and it's nothing major. 

• Upvote 5
  • Haha 1

This has nothing to do with why Abou was missing. If he had a family emergency, then he had to go, and that is understandable. Family is important.

But concerning the Sissoko vs Abou debate on the field: In theory Abou is further along. he is technically better, knows where he oughta be and has that hook that can be really nice when it works and it may feel like the ceiling and floor should be higher than Sissokos. Except of late he failed to be decisive way to often, and performing much closer to his floor than his ceiling someqhat frequently. opponents sometimes almost dared UNT to go to him on a 1 on 1 alone at the hoop. Meanwhile Sissoko has been working on raising his ceiling, and performed like it fairly frequently.

Edited by outoftown
  • Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1