For the 2 percenters

Harry

51 minutes ago, GMG_Dallas said:

Last post because I'm tired of this. South Alabama was below us in the pecking order despite finishing 6-6 because they have multiple wins against FCS schools and are only supposed to count one. They will be playing 9-3 Air Force in Arizona. They could have just as easily sent Air Force to Dallas to play us and Army to Arizona to play South Alabama.

If we could pick our own bowl...why not just pick the one being played in Tampa on Jan. 9th....that would be OK...right??

• Upvote 3

6 hours ago, trud1966 said:

Honestly, for those who say things like "I'm not spending money to see a team that we're playing for the next few years, and it's cheaper for me to just go to Apogee.., etc etc "   Shame on you...This board is NOTORIOUS for b*tching (myself included...) about what's wrong with our program, be it coaching, recruiting, the stadium, who starts at QB, or we need to "just win", etc etc. So many people seem to think they have THE answer on how to make this program successful, if only the AD would call one of us to get a personal consult...

If we haven't figured it out, the answer is, it's NUMEROUS things, literally dozens.  And here, we have an opportunity for US to do something, actually make a worthy contribution...

THIS IS NOT TYPICAL GAME....IT'S A BOWL GAME.  It helps recruiting....You remember recruiting ?  It's one of those DOZENS of things that helps make the program successful.

And yes, it's going to cost a little more than a typical game at Apogee:   True...But how often do we go to a Bowl Game? I'm not downplaying the important of money...If you have a lot of family, and would have to buy several tickets, after the holiday season, it's understandable.   But if you can in someway, attend, see what you can do...

So guys, the university and program, in a way, are both asking for our help...To make a contribution...  We don't have to do anything complicated.  

All we have to do is go to a game, and scream our lungs out for 2.5 hours. That's it...That alone could make some 3 star kid think "Man, I never really considered UNT before...Maybe I outta take a look..."

Also, keep in mind, that we're playing a service academy...They deserve our support and respect also...All of these football players when they graduate, are off to a minimum of 5 years of commitment, of standing in harms way.   This commitment allows you have the very freedom to do things we take for granted every single day....Things like, going to Bowl Games.  (See how I went "full circle" there?)  Also, keep in mind, because it's Army, in a bowl, they might very well have some type of Chopper Fly-over...

Hope to see you guys there.

Excellent post...but, for me, this game is going to cost me less than going to a game at Apogee.  Even if it didn't...it's a bowl game and, hopefully, the start of a positive trend for this program.  I am calling it the "All Academic HOD Bowl".  This team earned this game due to its work both on the field and in the classroom.  Anyone not going, well, fine, your choice. But, why spend so much time trying to justify to this crowd why you aren't going?  Why the need to tell everyone why? Don't want to go...great...just don't go.  No biggie and no one probably cares how you justify it to yourself.

• Upvote 6
  • Downvote 1

Can we just name names.  This whole thread is about "people" who are saying negative things about the bowl.  This whole thread is pre-emptive argument, but where are all these negative threads?    Can the Jr. Moderator from New York please publish the list of unpatriotic fans.

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 3

I personally am buying twice as many tickets to this HoD as I did to the last one.  (I'm taking my son with me.)  However, of the usual suspect friends, family, and alums that typically join me for games at Apogee, I haven't been able to coerce any of them to go to this game.  I don't think it's totally on the value proposition.

This game doesn't fall on a national holiday.  Most of us have a limited number of vacation days you can take and with this being toward the end of the year, vacation days may already be accounted for or used up.  Also, being so close to Christmas, many won't have returned from holiday travels yet.  

For those expecting a crowd as large as we had against UNLV, I hope you are right; I fear you'll be disappointed, unfortunately. 

• Upvote 4

Right, I'm more worried about the date of the game negatively impacting attendance than interest from the casual NT fan.  Just another instance of more bread moving to the P5's plate with the NY6...can't even get a game on a day our fans have off.  Anyway, take the day off or call in sick guys!!!!  

• Upvote 1

19 hours ago, trud1966 said:

Honestly, for those who say things like "I'm not spending money to see a team that we're playing for the next few years, and it's cheaper for me to just go to Apogee.., etc etc "   Shame on you...This board is NOTORIOUS for b*tching (myself included...) about what's wrong with our program, be it coaching, recruiting, the stadium, who starts at QB, or we need to "just win", etc etc. So many people seem to think they have THE answer on how to make this program successful, if only the AD would call one of us to get a personal consult...

If we haven't figured it out, the answer is, it's NUMEROUS things, literally dozens.  And here, we have an opportunity for US to do something, actually make a worthy contribution...

THIS IS NOT TYPICAL GAME....IT'S A BOWL GAME.  It helps recruiting....You remember recruiting ?  It's one of those DOZENS of things that helps make the program successful.

And yes, it's going to cost a little more than a typical game at Apogee:   True...But how often do we go to a Bowl Game? I'm not downplaying the important of money...If you have a lot of family, and would have to buy several tickets, after the holiday season, it's understandable.   But if you can in someway, attend, see what you can do...

So guys, the university and program, in a way, are both asking for our help...To make a contribution...  We don't have to do anything complicated.  

All we have to do is go to a game, and scream our lungs out for 2.5 hours. That's it...That alone could make some 3 star kid think "Man, I never really considered UNT before...Maybe I outta take a look..."

Also, keep in mind, that we're playing a service academy...They deserve our support and respect also...All of these football players when they graduate, are off to a minimum of 5 years of commitment, of standing in harms way.   This commitment allows you have the very freedom to do things we take for granted every single day....Things like, going to Bowl Games.  (See how I went "full circle" there?)  Also, keep in mind, because it's Army, in a bowl, they might very well have some type of Chopper Fly-over...

Hope to see you guys there.

If money is really the issue.  Go to stub hub, buy you some tickets in the upper deck (I prefer that view to be honest) I am sure the tickets are 10-12 bucks there in the coming days/weeks.  I don't care where you get the tickets from just get them and wear green and yell your butt off! These young men need us to show up as they did for us this year.  Would have been really easy to say ahh we were terrible last year it is a rebuilding year we can win next year.  They didn't do that they fought and scratched and clawed their way to bowl eligibility.  Time to show them we've got their backs.  Rematch, no rematch I don't care who we play where we play.  We are in a bowl game and it is within a 30-45 minute drive from anywhere in DFW (without the dreaded traffic) I hope some on the board realize that while they may not like the match up etc our kids need us to show up.  I can promise you Army will have their support there. 

3 hours ago, UNT 90 Grad said:

I personally am buying twice as many tickets to this HoD as I did to the last one.  (I'm taking my son with me.)  However, of the usual suspect friends, family, and alums that typically join me for games at Apogee, I haven't been able to coerce any of them to go to this game.  I don't think it's totally on the value proposition.

This game doesn't fall on a national holiday.  Most of us have a limited number of vacation days you can take and with this being toward the end of the year, vacation days may already be accounted for or used up.  Also, being so close to Christmas, many won't have returned from holiday travels yet.  

For those expecting a crowd as large as we had against UNLV, I hope you are right; I fear you'll be disappointed, unfortunately. 

I have had 10 different coaching friends text or call about the bowl game.  Asking if it was worth the price of admission.  I'll keep it clean for the board, but I replied with an emphatic Yes.  :) 

• Upvote 5

3 hours ago, UNT 90 Grad said:

Really solid post. The timing of this game related to holidays is really the only issue to concern yourselves with regarding how our attendance does.

• Upvote 1

The Nebraska following girl most likely has to work on the 27th, so I successfully navigated the delicate minefield of, "Since you're working, I'm going to buy myself a sideline reserved seat.  If you're not working that day, we'll buy an extra GA ticket at the gate and sit up in the upper deck together."

So far, if it's a trap, it hasn't gone off yet.  

I tread lightly and carefully. 

• Upvote 4

On 12/5/2016 at 9:36 AM, GMG_Dallas said:

Completely different. Chances are, a rematch will occur in a C-USA title game. Part of the goal of a bowl game is to match teams up with opponents they wouldn't normally play. You're going to see a rematch of a previous game at some point, that's inevitable, but you shouldn't see a rematch of a game that occurred earlier in the year barring national championship or conference championship implications. Now don't keep twisting words to satisfy your low expectations of what a UNT bowl game should look like.

Me "complaining" doesn't show that I would be unhappy no matter who the opponent was. You know, wrinkled $100 bill. It shows that most of this fan base is so deprived they would accept anything. Instead of showing bowl committees we will bring large amounts of fans to games, we are showing bowl committees that as long as we play our bowl game in DFW, we'll be happy regardless of the opponent and bring large amounts of fans. We aren't showing we travel well, we're showing we'll "travel" to Dallas where most of our fans live even though they won't "travel" 30 to 40 miles to Denton on Saturdays. We're showing you don't need to work hard to give UNT a meaningful opponent, just put us in Dallas and give us a lollipop so we can happily skip down to Fair Park and cheer on our team. 

Guilty as charged.  I will show up to watch MY alma mater no matter who they play...if I get a lollipop then that is a bonus (though I demand cherry).

• Upvote 7

4 minutes ago, emmitt01 said:

Guilty as charged.  I will show up to watch MY alma mater no matter who they play...if I get a lollipop then that is a bonus (though I demand cherry).

Good for you. You can get free tickets as a first responder and if you have the day off or can easily get it, why not go? I sent the information to get free tickets to my brother and hope that he'll share it with his co-workers. The more who go the better. I have one day paid vacation and no sick days left for the remainder of the year. Wouldn't make sense for me to go and a match-up against Army isn't what's going to make me change my mind. Now get over it.

• Downvote 9

Just because I am not buying this game as great positive. I don't see it as negative either.   (But if they show up like they did in El Paso that could be negative.)  The program's core problem is that people do not show up in Denton for games.  This game is not going to help in that area unless we get (what I believe) an unrealistic bump in recruiting by having this bowl game.  Recruits are young immature men with a lot to consider or their plates.   A commitment  to the Army is at a totally different level than a commitment to UNT or any other FBS school that requires military service upon graduation.  Those are the reasons that we don't really "recruit" against Army, Navy or Air Force in my opinion.  I don't want to rain on anyone's parade but people gushing an unrealistic hope for positive impact coming from this game are quite naive.  And attacking GMG_Dallas or me isn't going change those fact or get butts in Apogee seats in 2017.   And the explanation why this bowl game is so much better than playing a game during the State Fair in better weather, against an opponent we pick, that actually means something, and has the more potential to influence fans to come to Apogee in the following week were weak.  Of course we shouldn't not give away a home game every year.  But if is set up with the right opponent that we alternate being the "home" team in the game that would be great.  Attending this game does not define me as UNT Alumni or MGC.  And a direct financial donation to the MGC in an amount greater that these inflated ticket prices helps more than attending this game in my opinion.  My not attending is not going to change the pub and "soft" rewards you guys are touting about this game anyway.

Edited by Mike Jackson
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 4

12 hours ago, Mike Jackson said:

Just because I am not buying this game as great positive. I don't see it as negative either.   (But if they show up like they did in El Paso that could be negative.)  The program's core problem is that people do not show up in Denton for games.  This game is not going to help in that area unless we get (what I believe) an unrealistic bump in recruiting by having this bowl game.  Recruits are young immature men with a lot to consider or their plates.  

I would disagree with this, and the AD seems to get it this time. I would wager that if not the sole reason, one of the main reasons the AD is giving out so much swag to get you to buy tickets directly from the AD office, is so they can get peoples contact info so they can market to them in the future.

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, Mike Jackson said:

And a direct financial donation to the MGC in an amount greater that these inflated ticket prices helps more than attending this game in my opinion.  My not attending is not going to change the pub and "soft" rewards you guys are touting about this game anyway.

I disagree. Every ticket that UNT is shown to have sold to the bowl game makes us that much more desireable to future bowls. The reason we got placed in this one versus getting shipped to New Mexico (which UTSA is still complaining about) was because of our ticket sales and turnout in 2013.

Sometimes it is not just about the bottom line. Your $50 would go further if it went towards a ticket, versus a MGC check, even if it does not fit your narrative.

Edited by MeanGreenDan
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

A $75 HOD Bowl game ticket perspective:  That is tantamount to a half a month of Starbucks Grande (or medium) Caramel Machiottos.

A $50 HOD Bowl game ticket perspective:  The cost of one favorite bottle of wine that I like at Olive Garden.

A hundred more similar perspectives.  

Some who can't come to this HOD Bowl game have their reasons and we really shouldn't question them because its their business, but a few of them shouldn't throw cold water on this bowl game for whatever reason, either.  

We are all trying to encourage new fans, alums & friends from each of our eras as UNT students to buy tickets to support our team--not discourage the ones who read GMG.com.  

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 3