Cowherd: "Screw Middle Tennessee State."

He does make a valid point. As much as I want to play with the big boys, realistically, we will never bring in the cash of UT or A&M, and neither will UH or Boise despite what they think. There are too many FBS schools at this point. They are eventually going to have to separate the P5 and G5 schools. I won't love our program any less if we are in some I-AA type league between P5s and FCS. They should've shut the door at 100 or less FBS programs, now we have 128 which is just way too many. I find it ridiculous that Texas brings in over $30 million in ticket sales alone and the players don't get one red cent.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 3

1 minute ago, Cr1028 said:

He does make a valid point. As much as I want to play with the big boys, realistically, we will never bring in the cash of UT or A&M, and neither will UH or Boise despite what they think. There are too many FBS schools at this point. They are eventually going to have to separate the P5 and G5 schools. I won't love our program any less if we are in some I-AA type league between P5s and FCS. They should've shut the door at 100 or less FBS programs, now we have 128 which is just way too many. I find it ridiculous that Texas brings in over $30 million in ticket sales alone and the players don't get one red cent.

Agreed. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Let's forget for a moment the value, academically, professionally and socially, of a degree. What does the kid get for bringing in millions of dollars to a program? Well, that's a straw man. Nothing. People go to support the team and school not an individual.  Brass tacks: in exchange for marketing the team, you actually benefit from that marketing to showcase your craft to potential employers.  You also get room, board, specialized skill training, medical care, networking for future employment and training to prepare you mentally and physically to achieve your potential employment. If it's about money, go pro. If your not ready and don't like being "exploited", hire trainers to prepare you for your interview (combine).

Edited by UTSA Fan
  • Upvote 4

1 hour ago, UTSA Fan said:

Let's forget for a moment the value, academically, professionally and socially, of a degree. What does the kid get for bringing in millions of dollars to a program? Well, that's a straw man. Nothing. People go to support the team and school not an individual.  Brass tacks: in exchange for marketing the team, you actually benefit from that marketing to showcase your craft to potential employers.  You also get room, board, specialized skill training, medical care, networking for future employment and training to prepare you mentally and physically to achieve your potential employment. If it's about money, go pro. If your not ready and don't like being "exploited", hire trainers to prepare you for your interview (combine).

Or let's keep the value of a degree involved in the conversation. As well as 4 to 5 and some cases 6 years of free food. Not to even mention a free place to live. Also, apparel out the wazoo to the point of not having to buy clothes unless a player just wants to. Let's get some estimates what 4-6 years of all this is worth...

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

11 minutes ago, Ben Gooding said:

Or let's keep the value of a degree involved in the conversation. As well as 4 to 5 and some cases 6 years of free food. Not to even mention a free place to live. Also, apparel out the wazoo to the point of not having to buy clothes unless a player just wants to. Let's get some estimates what 4-6 years of all this is worth...

And the life time earnings potential of a B.S. or B.A. in a marketable field (not medieval husbandry).

4 hours ago, Cr1028 said:

I find it ridiculous that Texas brings in over $30 million in ticket sales alone and the players don't get one red cent.

No one's making them play.  Every athlete on every campus chooses to be a "student/athlete" instead of a "student."  Of course, the problem with that argument is that it's actually false because many of them couldn't get into college if it weren't for athletics.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

There are guys that play baseball at North Texas for a club team. They voluntarily play clubs from other schools and find their own money to do it. They do it with North Texas' name across their chest because they want to, not because they get schollys or paid. Just because they want to.

Edited by MeanMag
  • Upvote 5

Aside from the issue of monetary funds for athletes, this guy is a jackass. He's a typical loud mouthed wanna-be mic-joc. I happen to admire Middle Tennessee State athletes every bit as much as those who play for any college. He could have easily substituted the name of my university that I love and that gave me more in life than I will ever have words to describe. Who is he or who is anybody to tell a kid that no one cares about their unimaginable sacrifice to play sports for my school just because it's not thought of by people like him to be important. He's the one that's not important! There's too many schools playing football? There's too many bowl games? Says who?

• Upvote 4

Football is a different animal but I can honestly say I love all the other sports too.  These kids put in hard work, long hours and time to earn schollys at any university.  Some get the big daddy programs and others get secondary programs, but the same work goes into the challenge.  If the 30 monster programs want to become semi-pro go for it.  That still leaves 100 programs that simply want to develop athletes, field competitive sports and feed rivalries.  Not the worst thing in the world for us fans and for the thousands of athletes we cheer on.

GMG

• Upvote 1

I think college football was more fun in the past,the top teams now are semi pro.  The best thing for college football is to everyone have an equal amount to play with and that is it.  Level the field and the games become more exciting for everyone.  I know the fans can't enjoy dragging body bag games into their stadium.   I think there is a big difference between a good win and should win game.  

So we kill all teams except the top 50 programs boy that will be fun.   Of those 50 programs there will be 10 really good teams  and 40 teams that rotate around the top ten programs.  Even though we have had two really bad seasons I still enjoy going to the games to see the people around me, the band play, the dancers dance and occasionally a touchdown.  However, I do want to win!

• Upvote 4

Another interesting aspect of this is that he works for Fox and CUSA has a broadcast contract with them. I cannot imagine that the conference was pleased about this coming from their partner about one of their member schools. Not sure it will translate to anything on air, but I would guess that something has been said about it.

• Upvote 1

I can agree with most everyone here when it comes to paying college athletes, but I'm curious how some of yall fell about the rules barring student/athletes from being able to receive compensation for things like autographs or selling their own personal memorabilia. While I'm against schools paying the student/athletes themselves, I personally don't see a problem with them making money on their own autographs, or accepting sponsorships, being compensated for their likeness in video games, etc.

Haven't really heard any argument against that before, curious to see how yall feel about it.

First, I'm glad he used Middle Tennessee as an example instead of my school.  But I have to agree...If we, or any school need "body bag games"  (I hate that term) to pay the bills, maybe we can't afford to play at the level we want to play at.  Our students and our fans need to pay the bills along with whatever TV or advertising money we can get.  Our students pay  Student Use Fees and that ought to be enough.  But our fans are the most vocal and critical.  The fans need to step up and pay the freight. 

And by the way, demand a reasonable product for what we contribute to.

GO MEAN GREEN

I was listening to the College Sports Channel on SiriusXM the other day. It was a talk about college basketball--not college football--between Mark Packer and Tom Brennan, who was the former coach for many years at Vermont, obviously not a Power school in a power league. Almost immediately, as they talked about the greatness of March Madness, they both quickly began talking about the Power conferences pulling away soon--in everything. And they both agreed it should be done because of the unbelievable difference in revenue between the Power Conferences and the others. And that the NCAA Tournament, College World Series, and Frozen Four, as well as the current College Football Playoff will get condensed to their group.

They have the fanbases, the media clout, and the legislative clout, all while holding the NCAA by the short hairs, since that organization makes its money on the NCAA Tournament mostly.

All I want for us--we gave up any chance of being included in that game in 1982--is that we continue to field a football team. Don't UTA it and give up completely--Apogee probably keeps this from happening anytime soon. I still want to watch us play against teams we should be more on par with than when we went down to the Southland Conference, playing teams like SFA, SHSU, and McNeese State. As long as we are playing something competitively that is similar to who we play now in CUSA, I'll still follow the team.

Three points:

I disagree with the guy about paying college athletes.  College athletes are amateurs, not pros.  Paying them makes them pros.

I agree with what he said about Middle Tennessee State & found the remark about their Long-Haul Driving School hilarious.

The blonde was gorgeous.

• Upvote 1