2016 UNT Football Non-conference slate is out

MeanGreenTexan

Ah.  Didn't read close enough.  Good catch.
So the FCS preference isn't just a McCarney preference as we were led to believe... unless the Bethune-Cookman deal was done before McCarney left (and even if it was, why appease an underachieving McCarney with a preferred schedule?).

We gave Mac Iowa, Iowa, Florida, and Wisconsin, so somehow I think he had some input into our schedule. Assuming he's not coaching elsewhere, it would be interesting to see what will be going on in Mac's head when he's watching us in Gainesville next fall. Hopefully not too much laughter.

We gave Mac Iowa, Iowa, Florida, and Wisconsin, so somehow I think he had some input into our schedule. Assuming he's not coaching elsewhere, it would be interesting to see what will be going on in Mac's head when he's watching us in Gainesville next fall. Hopefully not too much laughter.

Pretty sure the Iowa games were already scheduled before McCarney showed up.

• Upvote 1

Ah.  Didn't read close enough.  Good catch.
So the FCS preference isn't just a McCarney preference as we were led to believe... unless the Bethune-Cookman deal was done before McCarney left (and even if it was, why appease an underachieving McCarney with a preferred schedule?).

RV said on this podcast beginning of last month, around the 16:30 mark, that it was Liberty.

http://www.gomeangreen.com/forums/podcast/gmgpod146.mp3

Does that mean in the last month in a half this game has changed from Liberty to Lamar, now to Bethune-Cookman?

• Upvote 2

I'm for it.  Like the two home games to start the season.  Have said in years past we should begin the seasons with a home against an HBC and begin a tradition of doing so.  There are HBC alumni all over Dallas.   

Those HBC programs are often more cash-strapped than the FCS school and lower FBS schools.  It is a good thing to do.  Plus, scheduling weak helped build up the Texas Techs and Kansas States of the world.

We're a music school of renown...bring on the Marching Wildcats and 14K Gold Dancers:

Give me this over two beatings per year.  Bring on the Marching Wildcats and 14K Gold Dancers:

maxresdefault.jpg

Billboard it around Dallas and make it a thing for people to remember that we do every year.  See football, see a good,exuberant band show at halftime.

• Upvote 3

RV said on this podcast beginning of last month, around the 16:30 mark, that it was Liberty.

Does that mean in the last month in a half this game has changed from Liberty to Lamar, now to Bethune-Cookman?

I'm betting it was either 1. RV confusing the two and choosing the wrong one (Liberty/Lamar) or 2. Whoever writes these up did not double-check and didn't think anyone would really care.

• Upvote 2

I'm betting it was either 1. RV confusing the two and choosing the wrong one (Liberty/Lamar) or 2. Whoever writes these up did not double-check and didn't think anyone would really care.

The more I think about it, I think number 2 is the correct one. According to this article by Vito, Liberty had agreed to play us in 2016.

http://meangreenblog.dentonrc.com/2015/02/a-look-at-unts-future-football-opponents.html/

The little things like that really tick me off, at this point. The Lamar game wasn't removed, or moved. Just more laziness put out by this athletic department.

• Upvote 2

I'm putting all of you on the honor system here.  No fair googling or looking up stuff......

Where is Bethune-Cookman ?

Extra points if you can name their colors and mascot.  Again, no fair looking.

School is somewhere in Florida, I think. They have regularly been the FCS cupcake for FSU, Miami, Florida, the F_U twins, etc so that's what I'm basing this on. Could be way off..

School colors are Maroon and Yellow like the Fairfield Eagles. Mascot is the Tigers? maybe Bobcats (for alliteration)?

FBSchedules used to have us playing Liberty in 2016, Lamar 2017, Incarnate Word 2018, Abilene Christian 2019. I think Brett published that info in the early spring after we discussed the presence of the future schedules existence with Ryan Munthe on a thread here.

• Upvote 2

I'm putting all of you on the honor system here.  No fair googling or looking up stuff......

Where is Bethune-Cookman ?

Extra points if you can name their colors and mascot.  Again, no fair looking.

I have absolutely no idea.  How do you pronounce Bethune?  I'm assuming they're at least FCS, not D2, right?  Cuz, hey.  Nothing says North Texas like another Alabama Huntsville.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

I have absolutely no idea.  How do you pronounce Bethune?  I'm assuming they're at least FCS, not D2, right?  Cuz, hey.  Nothing says North Texas like another Alabama Huntsville.

Beth-youn at least that's how we pronounced it growing up in Florida, though they are most commonly called BCC. I bet they hate it though since there's at least one community college also know as BCC.

• Upvote 1

They are probably bidding down the payment with each other as they are all scrambling to get a road win at an FBS school. Looks like Bethune Cookman bid the lowest.

• Upvote 2

Now we should have home games against Southern Miss, Marshall, MUTS, & La Tech also. Right?? If so, that's 6 home games. Not a bad schedule!

We'll have home games against La Tech and Southern Miss since they are in our division of CUSA.

No guarantee of playing Marshall, MUTS, and/or WKU.  Depends on which teams from the other division we draw.  Hopefully it's Charlotte, F_U and Old Dominion.