I may get obliterated on this question...

Tyler Maryak

He associated with both the Dodge and Mac regimes -- that doesn't set well with people.

He shamelessly campaigned for the job in 2010 -- that also didn't set well with people.

There is about a 80/20 split among the fanbase that his offense is horrendous, he can't recruit, and he can't coach up a QB vs. Mac suppressed him from succeeding at any of that.

The loudest voices wish to blow the whole thing up from RV down to the poor lady with a questionable driver's license and SS card scrubbing the Victory Hall bathroom floors, leaving no trace whatsoever of anything leading up to the events of 10/10/15.  Chico was part of that.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

I don't know really anything about the politics of college football, so I'm sure there are reasons why this is a bad idea, but I'm curious, so I'll ask.

If Canales does what he did in 2010 and wins 3 or 4 games for the rest of this season somehow, why shouldn't we offer him the HC job?  Maybe just one year for now, to see what he can do.  Let him bring in his own OC and see what happens.  It seems like we're going to have to start the recruiting battle basically fresh anyway, so could it really hurt that much?

Canales is impressing me with his press conference so far (particularly RE:  social media use).  Hearing the man speak, he's convincing me that he has the makings of a good leader.

Anyway, feel free to educate me...just please be gentle!

Thanks MGfam.

I would hope that if in the final 7 games, someone hires Canales as a HFBC somewhere if he turns in a winning record (4-3 or 5-2).

Irony would be we have to face him at some point in the future.

Edited by UNTFan23
  • Upvote 2

I don't see how you can recruit well if you are working on a 1 year contract.  I guess it is possible to publicly give a guy a 5 year contract, but privately only guarantee a shorter term, but I doubt any coach would go for that.  I would say that if anyone was in a position to take something like this it would be the interim guy. 

• Upvote 2

I agree with Tyler.  Maybe in 2010 we went looking for something that was right under our noses.  Canales was so popular after Dodge left, that MaC was all but forced to keep him and give him the silly "Co- Head Coach" title.  As far as campaigning for a job, don't we all at some time or another in some way or another campaign for a job (or a customer) ?  I appreciate his trying.  I'd rather him work hard to get noticed by the people doing the hiring than,  "Oh Mike...I didn't know you were interested in the head coach job.  I wish we'd known."   

I don't think Canales ever coached with Fry, never attended school/coached in Iowa, and doesn't have a "big ass ring."  Those points alone give him some credibility with me.

Welcome Coach Canales

GO MEAN GREEN

• Upvote 4

If Canales gets us some wins as an interim coach, 3-4, then this would be the easiest path for RV to take.  Otherwise, RV would actually have to work to find a new coach.  Unless he hires a consultant to do the job.  And we know how that worked for us in the past.

I'd like to add, do we know if Canales can recruit or not?  How much of Canales' hands were tied because of the McNulty/McCarney relationship? Both in recruiting and in play calling.

Edited by DeepGreen
  • Upvote 2

I don't see how you can recruit well if you are working on a 1 year contract.  I guess it is possible to publicly give a guy a 5 year contract, but privately only guarantee a shorter term, but I doubt any coach would go for that.  I would say that if anyone was in a position to take something like this it would be the interim guy. 

You can't. 

• Upvote 1

The only way I can be convinced of Canales staying, is that we can't find the right candidate to come along to replace Mac now. Not a knock on Canales but there is plenty of coaching talent out there. We need to act like the big boys and bring someone in.

I would also cite QB recruiting, but Canales will not sign another QB here if he doesn't think he is going to stay.

• Upvote 3

Only if Canales wins 3,4, or 5 of the remaining games (highly unlikely) do we offer him a three year contract with certain year to year goals?  Don't pay Canales some huge guaranteed. Maybe a $500,000 base.  Then you put some huge bonus amounts for winning the Western Div of CUSA($100K).  Then you put another huge bonus amount for getting UNT to a bowl($150K)

If RV is still around, and Canales performs well with some wins, I'd almost rather we keep Canales than send RV out to screw up the next hire for a major sport at UNT.  And that is just something sad to think about.

Edited by DeepGreen
  • Upvote 2

Absolutely Not. Chico might be a great guy but I want him gone at the end of this year. Chico was the one that recruits the Metropolex and has done an abysmal job at it. Even if McCarney had the ultimate say, he didnt grab the numbers out of the recruiting hotbed of DFW like he should have.

We need a fresh start and we need it bad. I want a guy that can recruit like a mad man. Texas has too much talent for us not to be top of the CUSA every year. We miss on Texas kids every year and that needs to stop now.

• Upvote 6

Exactly what has Canales done? Not much. Look at our Quarterback situation. Look at our recruits. Look at our offensive production. Numbers don't lie. Canales' contract will not be renewed. If so, I will never go to a game until he he is out of there. Our offense is THE WORST!!!!  Defense sucks too, but not as bad as the offense. 

This will be a 0 win season or 1 win at most. Kiss this season good-by. I am so friggin' glad I did not buy ANY tickets this year. 

Some say that recruiting kids to our antiquated program was a big problem.  We cannot recruit kids while using a system from 1970.  That may have been one of the big problems.  Mac was very stubborn and it ultimately cost him his job.

IF he proves himself for the rest of the season (3+ wins) then I'm no opposed to us offering him a 2 year contract. He did well last time around as interim head coach and has poured a lot of blood and sweat into this school. Keep in mind guys, it's going to be hard to find somebody with previous success and arguably just as important, passion for the University of North Texas. 

The great part about taking the risk with Canales is that we can offer a 2 year contract and he would probably jump at the chance to take it. We don't have to give him a full 4 years because he already has had the opportunity to build his recruiting pipeline. We also have an able QB in Smith that can help make that transition easier for him. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Absolutely Not. Chico might be a great guy but I want him gone at the end of this year. Chico was the one that recruits the Metropolex and has done an abysmal job at it. Even if McCarney had the ultimate say, he didnt grab the numbers out of the recruiting hotbed of DFW like he should have.

We need a fresh start and we need it bad. I want a guy that can recruit like a mad man. Texas has too much talent for us not to be top of the CUSA every year. We miss on Texas kids every year and that needs to stop now.

This. That is all. I like chicos offense when he isn't hand cuffed, but this is my reason for not wanting him back.

• Upvote 3

If you want Canales to be the head coach then make sure it's because you think he's a better fit for the job then people out of house. If you're scope is limited outside of UNT football then you really shouldn't be campaigning for him. Speaking in general and not directed at any Canales supporters specifically. He has not done a good job recruiting, particularly with QB recruiting (possibly limited by Mccarney, but still a poor job).

Edited by BillySee58
  • Upvote 4

If he were to win 5 games the rest of this season... I wouldn't mind to give him a lower cost 2-3 year contract to see what he can do... if he loses quickly, we can get rid of him without much expense to us.  If he proves to win quickly, we give him a respectable bump to be more consistent with his peers.  

If he were to win 5 games, i would have no problem with that... and just keep the leash at a reasonable distance.

Edited by Travis
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

For those of you who are bashing our recruiting, please see the link below. I know Rivals isn't the end all on ranking recruits, but I think we should stop the "Our recruiting has sucked" excuse. Our coaches (I'm looking at Cosh & McCarney) have either not been able to develop the recruits we currently have or have made the wrong personnel decisions. I realize that we haven't been as good as we should've but we also haven't necessarily been the hot place to come play football. 

http://sports.yahoo.com/footballrecruiting/football/recruiting/teamrank/2015/CUSA/all

Edited by cdizzle86
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

If RV is still around, and Canales performs well with some wins, I'd almost rather we keep Canales than send RV out to screw up the next hire for a major sport at UNT.  And that is just something sad to think about.

This is really part of the situation I had in mind but didn't explicitly state.  If RV is still around, I'd almost rather give a guy who is passionate about UNT a shot over risking anything else.

Why dont we fire RV instead?

This would be most ideal.