Rick Villarreal termination watch thread

UNT90

Karen Aston was a solid hire. She took a program that went 5-25 and brought them to 15-16 in one season. That is impressive whether you hate RV or not. She likely would've had a winning season every year thereafter, if she had stayed. She was hired away by a VERY wealthy university and led them to the sweet 16 and 24 wins last year. Aston should not be lumped in with RV's failures because she was the best hire he has made outside of Johnny Jones.

thought I heard though that Aston came to RV and RV did not necessarily find her, so was a lucky grab for the one year, now Peterson is one RV went out to get, guess he could not stand one of his buddies fixing to get shit-canned at Wake Forest

• Downvote 1

thought I heard though that Aston came to RV and RV did not necessarily find her, so was a lucky grab for the one year, now Peterson is one RV went out to get, guess he could not stand one of his buddies fixing to get shit-canned at Wake Forest

We don't know if any of our coaches came to RV or he went out and found them. Did he post the job and see who applied or did he act as a headhunter and go find the guy he wanted? I sure don't know and most here probably don't know either.

Is there a reason to believe this is happening, or is this a thread of wishful thinking?

I am the ultimate outsider. No inside information at all. I'm actually shocked that no one has posted in disagreement. That says a lot. 

As for purpose, Fly says some of the 17 have read this and other threads and are perplexed at our unhappiness with them. At least they are getting an opinion outside the Hattiesburg Hustler's inner circle for a change. 

I hope it makes them mad. I hope they feel unappreciated. I hope they feel they are taken for granted. I hope they want these posts changed.

Because then they will know how us relatively (because it's a lot of money to me) small donors to this program feel. 

EVERY

SINGLE

DAY

• Upvote 6
  • Downvote 2

Perplexed?  Really?  Do they not see the state of affairs?  This sounds like a bigger problem.  

IMO...
They're pointing at all of the awesome buildings that they are funding (and they are awesome, and we should all be thankful for their contributions to these new/refurbished buildings)...  and they have bought into Rick's vision.   However, Rick's vision doesn't seem to include on-the-field/court results.

So the fact that many on here are calling for Rick's head does not compute to the big donors who look around at all of the buildings their dollars & Rick's vision have created, and see great things happening.  Instead, in their eyes, on-the-field results are not a part of Rick's vision, they are part of the shortcomings of the coaches.  Thus, the 'perplexity'.

• Upvote 2

Perplexed?  Really?  Do they not see the state of affairs?  This sounds like a bigger problem.  

You gotta realize that all they have gotten is a steady dose of the Hattiesburg Hustler's excuses. They have been told over and over again how things aren't his fault and how past presidents haven't allowed him to hire who he wanted to hire. They have a personal relationship with him. They believe him. 

Do you trust your close friends? Same thing here. 

The hope is they are perceptive enough to understand the importance of outside perception and start asking questions. Not of us, but of former players in their 30s and 40s. Talk to them about how they feel about RV. That will be eye opening. 

• Upvote 1

IMO...They're pointing at all of the awesome buildings that they are funding (and they are awesome, and we should all be thankful for their contributions to these new/refurbished buildings)...  and they have bought into Rick's vision.   However, Rick's vision doesn't seem to include on-the-field/court results.

So the fact that many on here are calling for Rick's head does not compute to the big donors who look around at all of the buildings their dollars & Rick's vision have created, and see great things happening.  Instead, in their eyes, on-the-field results are not a part of Rick's vision, they are part of the shortcomings of the coaches.  Thus, the 'perplexity'.

That makes sense.  Now if they can just kick some sense into RV to make some great hires ... we would all appreciate that. 

• Upvote 1

my greatest fear is that RV is going to be fired and there will be a contingent here that lauds themselves...and notably UNT90...for the act. 

That is your greatest fear? You need to get out more.

As to the rest...Lol.

I'm well aware of how unimportant I am in the grand scheme of everything UNT athletics.

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 1

Posted this in another thread, but just for emphasis:

.342 winning percentage

Just curious, why didn't you line up all the seasons to start the same?

I'd love for all of us to mass tweet the president with something like "Since 2008...AD's winning percentage in the big 3 is..." etc.

Edit: Or heck, even the win % of the big 3 in his whole tenure. Lighting up the @Cerebus-signal to see if he might have already collected that info.

Edited by Aldo
  • Upvote 3

What about reassignment to director of fundraising? 

You know, I think a title like "Associate Athletic Director of Facilities & Olympic sports" would be a fantastic title for Mr. Villareal, because he does a great job in those areas.  

But if he remains & a new guy/gal were here, then there is going to be a weird dynamic, so it would never happen.

• Upvote 3