Rick Villarreal termination watch thread

UNT90

How has Rick become UNT's longest-tenured AD in history!?

1. Because he is a people pleasure. Like the head football coach he hired.

2. He knows he can stay around as long as he likes.

3. Because the people managing and coordinating UNT athletics are okay with accepting mediocrity. (Hints: the fact that we have to argue with people still about how he is a good AD)

• Upvote 1

Because it needs to happen.

Because we need hope. 

Because he CANT hire another football coach.

Because he has been here 15 years and won very little of that time.

Because President Smatresk is the last hope to do the right thing.

Because the 17 value relationships over winning. 

Everyone please add your reasons and also one word to describe the athletic department currently. Mine is:

DYSFUNCTIONAL. 

He did get Johnny Jones and Karen Aston right. He just keeps whiffing on football. And MBB lately.

Oops. Thought she was even.

Stop fact checking me!!!!

The only coach Rick Villarreal has hired since Johnny Jones (hired on April 17th, 2001) to have even one winning season in our three major sports is Dan McCarney. 

Dodge, Shanice, Aston, Petersen, Benford, McCarney, and Jalie (no games played yet, but I think she could be the next Pat Summit and still not break .500 this year). All of them, combined, have only one season above .500 in all their years in all their sports. 

Dan McCarney, 2013. 

What you're seeing on the football field right now is the 2nd best hire Rick has made in a major sport. In terms of results... McCarney is the best major sports hire he's made in 14 years, 5 months, and 19 days. 

The only coach Rick Villarreal has hired since Johnny Jones (hired on April 17th, 2001) to have even one winning season in our three major sports is Dan McCarney. 

Dodge, Shanice, Aston, Petersen, Benford, McCarney, and Jalie (no games played yet, but I think she could be the next Pat Summit and still not break .500 this year). All of them, combined, have only one season above .500 in all their years in all their sports. 

Dan McCarney, 2013. 

What you're seeing on the football field right now is the 2nd best hire Rick has made in a major sport. In terms of results... McCarney is the best major sports hire he's made in 14 years, 5 months, and 19 days. 

in the words of Green P1...

:wow:

• Upvote 3

Dan McCarney, 2013. 

@flyonthewall really really needs to read this post and let that sink in.

• Upvote 4

Dan McCarney, 2013. 

Posted this in another thread, but just for emphasis:

here's where we stand with the hires we've made in the last decade in revenue sports:

WBB:

- 25-67, Stephens (2008-2011)

- 15-16, Aston (2011-2012)

- 28-61, Peterson (2012-2015)

68-144 total

MBB:

- 12-20, Benford (2012-2013)

- 16-16, Benford (2013-2014)

- 14-17, Benford (2014-2015)

42-53 total

Football:

- 6-37, Dodge (2007-2010)

- 22-27, Mccarney (2011-2014)

- 0-4 Mccarney (2015)

28-68 total

Total combined:

138-265

127 games under .500, and that includes FCS and non D1 victories.

1 winning season out of 18, and that doesn't include this season which we are not mathematically eliminated from a winning season yet.

.342 winning percentage

• Upvote 5

Posted this in another thread, but just for emphasis:

.342 winning percentage

Didn't mean to usurp your rhetorical point... Have a +1! Either way you look at it, though, he's not doing well with hiring. 

Overall win percentage, just the basic ability of a coach to win more than they lose in a single season on fluke luck... We are a failure by any and all measure. And across all major sports, and all hires. 

Didn't mean to usurp your rhetorical point... Have a +1! Either way you look at it, though, he's not doing well with hiring. 

Overall win percentage, just the basic ability of a coach to win more than they lose in a single season on fluke luck... We are a failure by any and all measure. And across all major sports, and all hires. 

Nah, I didn't take it that way. Just wanted to back it up with the numbers that I had readily available. If football, men's, and women's basketball all fail to post a winning season (pretty likely) you're looking at one winning season out of 21. Not only is that horrendous, but we absolutely have much more potential than that, in every sport.

Edited by BillySee58
  • Upvote 2

But he is just so darn likable. And he sure does cry a lot, so he must really love it here. We should let him stay forever. 

• Upvote 1

2 coaching changes in football over those 15 years. 4 winning seasons. 11 losing seasons. 2 coaching changes. If a guy wanted to right a ship, that sure is a funny way of showing it. See ya later Rick.

• Upvote 2

Has anyone heard back from Smatresk? Are we sending letters as well? We need to more than just e-mail and threads on this site about RV's removal. This is the time to do this, we can't afford another decade or two of this, we just cannot. 

Really hoping that he is keeping a low profile because it's homecoming week, and heads will roll starting Monday morning.

I hope.

• Upvote 1

With this being homecoming week and the 125th anniversary I believe the President is trying to avoid the bad press this week. I'm going to guess that we hear something in the next two weeks. If we dont then he is staying. 

So my guess is that next Monday UNT will hold a press conference saying that North Texas and RV are mutually parting ways. 

At least this is what I hope.

That would make for an interesting alumni reception with Smatresk in Plano the next day.  

• Upvote 1

Karen Aston was a solid hire. She took a program that went 5-25 and brought them to 15-16 in one season. That is impressive whether you hate RV or not. She likely would've had a winning season every year thereafter, if she had stayed. She was hired away by a VERY wealthy university and led them to the sweet 16 and 24 wins last year. Aston should not be lumped in with RV's failures because she was the best hire he has made outside of Johnny Jones.

Edited by Cr1028
  • Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1