'15 ATH Kevin Dillman (Denton Guyer)

BillySee58

We've brought in other guys with similar resumes in the past that didn't pan out (Derius Terrell, Aaron Wallace, Brockland, Felt, Stradford and others) I not saying he should be behind the Commerce kid but McCarney will have him there.

I'm quite frankly tired of folks giving this coaching staff a pass on Defensive linemen. The Cowboys are out of the playoffs because they can't put a pass rush on a one legged quarterback. How is it that other programs can find them and we can't? I have no confidence in this coaching staff recruiting a solid class in areas of need. I'm on board signing this kid up but we need to run off 3-4 more quarterbacks to make room for more defensive linemen. Start with not signing any that don't have major college size. WE PAY McCarney alone 800k

And he has been here 4 years with nothing to show for his line.

I have a 6-4, 300 lb great nephew at Dallas Skyline. That is a beast at DT/OT . HE'S WAS THE ONLY fr coach Samples moved up to varsity during the playoffs' I will be coordinating his recruiting process. We've made an unofficial visit to Denton. I've got him thinking about being a big fish in a smaller pond. Still waiting to hear from UNT

and OG

• Upvote 2

Why did Nebraska pull their offer? Why is it down to UNT and Houston? SMU needs a QB as bad. Where are the Ponies? Where's all the other interests in this kid today. I would think that if he is special that he would have better suitors. The new coaching staff at Nebraska decided to keep their other commitments with the exception of this one. Nebraska is not exactly playing for the National Championship @ AT&T Stadium tomorrow. I'm not crazy about kids that move around so much. It also appears that we have a legit QB for the next 2 years in the Juco signee. I wish we could focus more effort on finding big time defensive lineman than adding to an already crowded stable of QB's. This coaching staff would have him 4th or 5th behind McNulty, Josh Grier, Chumley, Means and the kid from Commerce on the depth chart (assuming Dajon doesn't return)

I'd take him but this is not my priority

This kid has the size and athleticism to play multiple positions at the FBS level, including DE.

That is why I am glad we are recruiting him. See TCU for a reference.

We've brought in other guys with similar resumes in the past that didn't pan out (Derius Terrell, Aaron Wallace, Brockland, Felt, Stradford and others) I not saying he should be behind the Commerce kid but McCarney will have him there.

I'm quite frankly tired of folks giving this coaching staff a pass on Defensive linemen. The Cowboys are out of the playoffs because they can't put a pass rush on a one legged quarterback. How is it that other programs can find them and we can't? I have no confidence in this coaching staff recruiting a solid class in areas of need. I'm on board signing this kid up but we need to run off 3-4 more quarterbacks to make room for more defensive linemen. Start with not signing any that don't have major college size. WE PAY McCarney alone 800k

And he has been here 4 years with nothing to show for his line.

I have a 6-4, 300 lb great nephew at Dallas Skyline. That is a beast at DT/OT . HE'S WAS THE ONLY fr coach Samples moved up to varsity during the playoffs' I will be coordinating his recruiting process. We've made an unofficial visit to Denton. I've got him thinking about being a big fish in a smaller pond. Still waiting to hear from UNT

and OG

First of all, Dillman's offer list is much greater than any of those guys except Wallace. And can people stop using Stradford as an example? He was a reach for OU to begin with (they were his only P5 offer besides UCONN), as was Feldt at Arkansas. They didn't have great offer lists. Berglund's problem was not playing ability. And again, still wasn't the prospect Dillman was.

Dillman, unlike any of those guys, will be here straight out of high school and will have time to develop. You can't let the fact that other players with big school offers, who had already not panned out at another school, be a reason to deter you from recruiting this kid. He is not them.

No, Mccarney will not have him behind Wells. Walkons are not guaranteed reps, and they won't take reps from scholarship guys. That's how most coaches work, including Mccarney. If Wells were good enough to take reps from scholarship qbs then he'd be on scholarship by fall.

NO ONE is giving this staff a pass on d-linemen. Certainly not me. I'm just saying that we're not going to suddenly turn things around at d-line recruiting in the last few weeks of this signing class. We've been losing out to other schools on d-linemen all recruiting cycle. At this point getting a kid like this is better than anything else we could realistically land.

Edited by BillySee58
  • Upvote 2

First of all, Dillman's offer list is much greater than any of those guys except Wallace. And can people stop using Stradford as an example? He was a reach for OU to begin with (they were his only P5 offer besides UCONN), as was Feldt at Arkansas. They didn't have great offer lists. Berglund's problem was not playing ability. And again, still wasn't the prospect Dillman was.

Dillman, unlike any of those guys, will be here straight out of high school and will have time to develop. You can't let the fact that other players with big school offers, who had already not panned out at another school, be a reason to deter you from recruiting this kid. He is not them.

No, Mccarney will not have him behind Wells. Walkons are not guaranteed reps, and they won't take reps from scholarship guys. That's how most coaches work, including Mccarney. If Wells were good enough to take reps from scholarship qbs then he'd be on scholarship by fall.

NO ONE is giving this staff a pass on d-linemen. Certainly not me. I'm just saying that we're not going to suddenly turn things around at d-line recruiting in the last few weeks of this signing class. We've been losing out to other schools on d-linemen all recruiting cycle. At this point getting a kid like this is better than anything else we could realistically land.

I think years of cynicism are manifesting in questioning this guy.

I'm with you though Billy, this guy is one of those rare cases where circumstances beyond his control throw him squarely in UNT's lap. He's a special talent that has fallen off of many radars. I hope we can snag his commitment and hang onto him.

• Upvote 1

I think years of cynicism are manifesting in questioning this guy.

I'm with you though Billy, this guy is one of those rare cases where circumstances beyond his control throw him squarely in UNT's lap. He's a special talent that has fallen off of many radars. I hope we can snag his commitment and hang onto him.

Exactly on both statements. I can't foresee us ever getting a high school qb commit like this under normal circumstances. And it takes an incredibly wild circumstance for this to even be close to happening. I mean, the kid is a qb from Sweden for crying out loud.

Great analysis, Billy!

Thank you. This kid is a fascinating story. He would be the first Swedish-born player ever to start a D1 game at qb. Really hoping we get him. Edited by BillySee58

Cooley, you contradict yourself. In your first post you state that you are not crazy about kids that move around a lot, but in the following sentence you claim we appear to have a legit signee in the JUCO young man that will be here for the next two years. Funny, this young man also moved around a lot. You criticize this staff for taking chances on transfers with good offer sheets, yet our JUCO signee had a good looking offer sheet. Not sure where you stand here other than you would like to see a push for more defensive linemen.

• Upvote 1

Exactly on both statements. I can't foresee us ever getting a high school qb commit like this under normal circumstances. And it takes an incredibly wild circumstance for this to even be close to happening. I mean, the kid is a qb from Sweden for crying out loud.

Thank you. This kid is a fascinating story. He would be the first Swedish-born player ever to start a D1 game at qb. Really hoping we get him.

Mean Green Swedish Battle Flags coming soon!!!!!!

• Upvote 4

Dillman is a no-brainer. The timing is excellent. He has the potential to be our best quarterback ever if properly coached. Billy has pointed out all of the positives...arm, feet and head. Both the California coach and Walsh believe that he is something special. Upgrade the freaking quality! If, for some reason, he didn't work out we'd still have a good tight end candidate.

• Upvote 1

Thank you. This kid is a fascinating story. He would be the first Swedish-born player ever to start a D1 game at qb. Really hoping we get him.

Mean Green Swedish Battle Flags coming soon!!!!!!

...She they had a dream about the king of QB from Sweden...

Hi de hi de hi de hi!

http://meangreenblog.dentonrc.com/2015/01/unt-recruiting-a-quick-status-report.html/

In this article by Vito he mentions that he's starting to become convinced that we'll land Dillman. I sure hope so. I'm still under the impression that if you bring in a kid like this then you have to give him a shot at qb, because a qb talent like this is just such a rarity, especially coming here out of high school. Even with our current logjam of qbs on the roster.

That being said, I would be surprised but not entirely shocked if he does come in as a tight end. It just seems weird to me that we would take a chance on this kid just as a tight end, seeing as he really he has only played for one season and at the JV level at that position. He's a project whether he is a tight end or qb. The difference is he has a much higher ceiling at qb, it's more of a position of need, and most importantly the impact he could make for this program at qb is just so much higher than at tight end. And that's just a fact of the sport.

• Upvote 2

Great pickup. Regardless of where he ends up playing he seems like the kind who could be an impact guy

Edit: And sounds like he's already resigned to playing tight end...

"UNTs coaches conducted an in-home visit with Dillman on Friday night. Dillman, who is 6-4, 243, was sold on the fact he could quickly make an impact for UNT at tight end. The Mean Green have several players who are nearing the end of their careers at the position. Marcus Smith and Chris Loving will both be seniors this fall."

And

"They see me as an athlete and a tight end, Dillman said. I am looking forward to that. Football is football. I want to play. I dont have a specific position. Tight end in an awesome position. I am already in love with it."

Edited by emmitt01