What conference is UNT in?

Harry

When Sheldon Dawson gave Memphis a commitment and then later backed away from it to sign with Georgia, his hometown school was a member of Conference USA.

The Bulldogs’ sophomore cornerback knows that the Tigers are now a member of the new American Athletic Conference, but he was stumped when asked what league Georgia’s Saturday opponent, North Texas, plays in now.

“I want to say the MAC, Mountain West or something,” Dawson said.

Actually, North Texas is in its first season in Conference USA after leaving the Sun Belt Conference. Of seven Georgia players quizzed this week, only two answered correctly on the Mean Green’s league affiliation.

In the age of conference expansion and realignment, it’s hard to keep up with all the changes.

Even for an athletic director.

“Maybe it’s sad to say but I couldn’t tell you who’s in the conference now,” Georgia’s Greg McGarity said of Conference USA. “It’s not to demean that conference. It changes. I have a hard time figuring out who’s in the ACC. …It’s all so fluid right now, it’s kind of hard to figure out who’s where.”

It’s confusing for the coaches, too.

Virginia Tech coach Frank Beamer said on a teleconference Monday, according to the Washington Post, that East Carolina, Marshall and UCF were the best teams in Conference USA.

Read more: http://dogbytesonline.com/college-football-realignment-leaves-players-coaches-ads-scratching-their-heads-75363/

And if you were to ask me where UGA is located I couldn't give them a solid answer. This kind of stuff floats both ways.

Agree with you...no biggie. They are from places other than Yexas...what do you expect?

I'm not surprised at all. Most of those who follow the "big 5" conferences pay no attention to the others. And, in fairness, there has been enough jumping around the past few years that it's hard for anybody who is not pretty hardcore (i.e., all of us here) to keep up with it.

Yeah but as mentioned above, if you're an AD, being hardcore about college sports is your business. You have a dozen teams that play schools in all kinds of conferences...you can't even keep up with the few OOC teams your biggest sport is playing?

• Upvote 1

If a fan does not know that, then this is totally ok.

If an AD does not know this, then he is simply not doing his job. I dare say that any AD not able to tell you about every FBS team what conference they are in is not worth their pay. Why? because you will every now and then be able to sway people to vote with you on NCAA stuff. For that kind of thing you need to know the landscape. Intimately. If you want to make an informed decisicion on whether your conference should invite a specific other program, you need to know what the landscape and the options are. These people get paid too well to suck at this. I would not want their AD.

• Upvote 1

Have standards already. If I as a Mean Green backer can rattle off who is in which league - an AD who gets paid 6 figures needs to be do that at a minimum! Can you imagine this guy asking if this win would count toward his bowel eligibility, because you know we left D1AA almost two decades ago!

I have the same standards/expectations for those tools who call us North Texas State on broadcasts. Can this mega industry really have such a low hiring bar?

You will know North Texas come Saturday!

GMG