Austin Aune named C-USA player of the week

Coach Andy Mac

DALLAS – North Texas junior quarterback Austin Aune was named the Conference USA Offensive Player of the Week presented by Blenders Eyewear, the league announced on Monday.

The junior from Argyle, Texas, made the first opening-game start of his career after throwing for 236 yards and three touchdowns on 16-of-29 passing in the Mean Green's 31-13 win in El Paso on Saturday night.

Aune's stat line stretched his career totals against UTEP to 778 passing yards, nine touchdown passes and no interceptions to go with his 3-0 record. He is the first UNT student-athlete to garner Player of the Week honors since Jaelon Darden in December of 2020.

With his three touchdown passes in the game, Aune moved to ninth on the program's career touchdown passes list with 26. His yardage total brought his career output to 4,013 passing yards to put him in eighth place on the program's career passing list.

Aune and the Mean Green will host SMU in their home opener at Apogee Stadium on Saturday with the game set for a 6:30 p.m. kickoff.

• Upvote 2
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

To me he has more confidence in being a field general & in zipping the ball to his receivers. He’s leading the pass more for his receivers albeit he still has the occasional “behind the receiver” toss. 
I think the coaches ain’t blowing smoke when they themselves saw such improvements.  
He just cannot cause a turnover vs SMU.  He needs an almost flawless game before the home crowd.

•••  I hope the UNT students break another Apogee attendance record.  

03BFF66C-71D9-4A25-B58C-BE61C712AEAB.jpeg.0ae63e98f0a73347d49ebae4befea4f5.jpeg

If I hear the students are projected to do just that I will have to change my attendance guess, too.

DD1AB855-3014-42D9-B96C-C2D19CC88DEF.jpeg

• Confused 1
  • Puking Eagle 1

2 hours ago, Glory to the Green said:

Had had a good game.  Very deserving. Hope he continues this upward trend!  GMG!

It was an okay game. Only completed 55% of his passes, over threw a couple wide open WRs, was throwing behind his targets a lot, and had the costly fumble before half. 

If we want to beat the likes of SMU, UTSA, and UAB he has to be better. 

• Upvote 3
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1