Setting the record straight on Mac's recruiting

Harry

What would happen if you recruited only jucos? Would you end up with scholarships that you could never use? At 25 per year would you run into a numbers crunch mess?

McCarney did what he had to do by recruiting and redshirting so many freshmen in order to get us back to full scholarship numbers and develop some depth. Dodge left him with his hands tied from a scholarship standpoint. He is having to weather that storm.

Is McCarney the greatest on field coach? No, that coach lives in Boise, Idaho. However, he is going about rebuilding this team the right way. Give him some time to recruit and develop young talent. At that point some of his "bad calls" will start to look like "good calls" because he will have the talent, experience, and depth to make them work.

• Upvote 3

For the folks complaining about the lack of progress how do you explain more wins in the last two seasons than the previous four?

You're comparing Mac to...wait for it...TODD DODGE.

Compared to John Wayne Gacy, Jerry Sandusky would be a swell baby-sitter for your little boy. At least they'd come back alive!!! Progress!!!

It doesn't matter who he signed his first two years. He went 5-7 and 4-8, and has an overall losing record versus Sun Belt competition. We are playing in the lowest rung of FBS competition.

The thing he hasn't stockpiled is DTs and WRs. If he doesn't get runstoppers and platmakers, the quality of this team will not change.

And, if the quality doesn't change, no new fans are attracted, and we are...continually walking the treadmill to nowhere competitively.

The proof will be in the pudding.

Year three is make or break for this program. No improvement next year means DMac will most likely not be successful EVER at UNT.

We can argue about recruiting and developing talent all we want. None of us are on the inside, and as many have said, none of us know what we are talking about because we aren't college coaches. So, what does it all come down to?

RESULTS.

Next year will be VERY telling for this program and the possiblility of DMac being successful. I hope we succeed, but I really don't expect it.

I have not been impressed at all by DMac's in game coaching ability.

Edited by UNT90

For the folks complaining about the lack of progress how do you explain more wins in the last two seasons than the previous four?

How about a new stadium, supposed skins on the wall, about $250K more a year, a roster of full of higher paid college coaches, that should equal more wins regardless of the supposed cupboard being bare excuse. Funny how Mac won more games last year with Dodge players, maybe the cupboard was not quite as bare as many seem to think, but keep on tearing down the players, I am sure they just love being called empty not talent suits.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

How about a new stadium, supposed skins on the wall, about $250K more a year, a roster of full of higher paid college coaches, that should equal more wins regardless of the supposed cupboard being bare excuse. Funny how Mac won more games last year with Dodge players, maybe the cupboard was not quite as bare as many seem to think, but keep on tearing down the players, I am sure they just love being called empty not talent suits.

This.

......and your silver lining is/was?

I woke up today. I still have a job. I have a wife and two kids that love me. I don't have to try to buy Burnt Orange t-shirts. I look good in green. With any luck I will be able to repeat this tomorrow.

Edited by curtisdaa
  • Upvote 7

Still no response from the haters

I can only assume Htown is being ironic because he adds to the Mac performance by pointing out the schools limits an use of u degrades fueling the bare cupboard claims.

Emmitt makes a false comparison about kid touchers and serial killers.

But still no response to the fact that Mac has more wins.

If you are hating on the coach right now you are either a bad fan, irrational or a bad judge the shape this program was in after 2010.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

shaft, no one is disputing he has better records.

I think where every one disagrees is at what height should the bar be set?

I'm pretty skeptical about getting to win 7+ games with Coach Mac. His recruiting, while addressing the JUCO problem, has not really been light years above anything we've seen before.

If you're okay with this consistency at 4 - 6 wins, then we'll just have to agree to disagree. I thought we were all hoping to build something that meant 7+ wins every season.

I woke up today. I still have a job. I have a wife and two kids that love me. I don't have to try to buy Burnt Orange t-shirts.

that is so true...people buy the orange t-shirts and hats and half those people never attended th U. of Thug...Hayden Fry in his second season went 2-7-2...it was a shame Vizza quit after his sophmore season which left Dogde in a ditch with no QB...let's give it another year and see how it shakes out! and I've been following the program since 73...Go Mean Green!!! Keep the Green Faith!!

• Upvote 3

So let em get this straight.. you are of the firm belief that you have to attend a university to purchase gear for them? Does that mean I have to return all of my stuff I got for my nieces? That my mother needs to send back her UNT stuff? Support is support. T shirt fans are a good thing for any university. The problem isn't the UT T shirt fans, but the lack of UNT T shirt fans. That is an indictment on the quality of playing from UNT the last few years and a byproduct of having a fanbase that pretty much quit on trying to bring in new blood.

Green looks great for Christmas...

What annoys me most are UNT students or alums that have gear for other universities but no UNT stuff. I know some of those.

• Upvote 3

So let em get this straight.. you are of the firm belief that you have to attend a university to purchase gear for them? Does that mean I have to return all of my stuff I got for my nieces? That my mother needs to send back her UNT stuff? Support is support. T shirt fans are a good thing for any university. The problem isn't the UT T shirt fans, but the lack of UNT T shirt fans. That is an indictment on the quality of playing from UNT the last few years and a byproduct of having a fanbase that pretty much quit on trying to bring in new blood.

Green looks great for Christmas...

I'm not talking about kids...I'm talking about adults...yes people that go to other schools and wear U of Thug stuff... I know a guy that had a senior ring made from UT and never attended the school and tells everybody he graduated from there...and has Texas Lifer on his car plate frame...make me sick... this stuff goes on...

Just to set the record straight, Dodge recruited Derek Akunne.

That is not correct. McCarney signed him in his first class in 2011. By the way, he is turning out to be pretty good despite being a two star recruit with NT pretty much being his only offer.

shaft, no one is disputing he has better records.

I think where every one disagrees is at what height should the bar be set?

And that's why I said the haters were being irrational or don't know how to judge a football program.

I thought so poorly of Dodge I was shocked the team won two games last year. The Dodge experiment set this team so far back it is going to take three years to completely rebuild the team. That's what it takes when you're a bottom 10 team.

The realistic expectation is a .500 bowl season in year four.

• Upvote 1

Still no response from the haters

I can only assume Htown is being ironic because he adds to the Mac performance by pointing out the schools limits an use of u degrades fueling the bare cupboard claims.

Emmitt makes a false comparison about kid touchers and serial killers.

But still no response to the fact that Mac has more wins.

If you are hating on the coach right now you are either a bad fan, irrational or a bad judge the shape this program was in after 2010.

Since analogies are lost on you (I'm shocked) let me put it bluntly. You make the argument that Mac has shown "progress" bevause he has dwarfed Todd Dodge's win totals. Todd Dodge. The worst D1 coach in our school's history...by a loooooong way. Even you admit he was abysmal. So how, then, is ot to be celebrated when Mac does better? By merely rolling the team out there he wins by default. Call me a "hater" when you're not defining the Cyclone Savior's success by comparing him to an empty suit.

• Downvote 1