UNT students join growing number of pro-Palestinian demonstrations at US colleges

Students at the University of North Texas walked out of class Tuesday to take part in a pro-Palestinian demonstration.

The protest was one of many happening at colleges and universities across the country where students asked the institutions to disclose their assets and divest from any ties to Israel or weapons manufacturers.

In Denton, a few hundred students walked out of class and met on the lawn outside the University Library. The local chapter of the Palestine Solidarity Committee planned the event.

"We stand here in solidarity with students at Columbia, students at Yale, students at UT Dallas, students at UT Austin. Students at college campuses all across the nation and really in the world," said Talia Irsh, with the Palestine Solidarity Committee.

Irsh, a junior, helped coordinate the event which included a protest walk around the administration building and a loop around part of the campus.

“Faculty and staff canceled class and moved around meetings in order to be here today," Irsh said.

One of the demands from the protestors is similar to what we’ve seen at the University of Texas at Austin, is for the university to publicly disclose its assets in its foundation and to cut ties with Israeli assets.”

Link to more:  https://www.nbcdfw.com/news/local/unt-protest-israel-palestinian/3528945/

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 1
  • Downvote 3
  • Puking Eagle 1

Just now, cousin oliver said:

I think you misunderstand me I am all for students having the right to protest.  That is a freedom I take very seriously.

Yeah same, but there's plenty of people who attended college before plate tectonics were a widely accepted theory and it definitely shows. I'm sure the mod won't want this thread to continue with it being so contentious. 

• Upvote 4
  • Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Eye Roll 3
  • Downvote 1
  • Puking Eagle 1

Assuming 300 protesters were present (a very generous estimate from what I have seen and that assumes all present were actually students) that would account for .7% (rounded up) of the student population. If the demands are not met, then what?

• Upvote 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Puking Eagle 1

28 minutes ago, Tom McKrackin said:

I don’t have a dog in this hunt.  That said, are we so immature that we can’t have a civil conversation about important topics?

We already have dorks equating peaceful protestors against Israeli genocide with supporting hamas. There is no honest discussion to be had here. 

Edited by Coffee and TV
  • Upvote 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Oh Boy! 1
  • Eye Roll 2
  • Downvote 3
  • Puking Eagle 1

3 hours ago, GRN-WHT said:

Should have set up a football game nearby. They would have dispersed immediately. 

So true, Americans LOVE football and there are no football fans in that crowd.

It reflects horrifically on UNT but a percentage of these haters are surely from the TWU community.

• Upvote 3
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1

17 hours ago, ADLER said:

It reflects horrifically on UNT but a percentage of these haters are surely from the TWU community.

Calls for ACTUAL genocide on the UNT campus . . . disgusting.

• Upvote 5
  • Ray 1
  • Puking Eagle 1

On 5/3/2024 at 4:00 PM, GRN-WHT said:

Should have set up a football game nearby. They would have dispersed immediately. 

Excellent comment, Sir. Go to the head of the claSS

• Upvote 3

On 5/3/2024 at 6:14 PM, ADLER said:

"From the river to the sea" is all you need to know about these mindless robots.

• Upvote 6
  • Puking Eagle 1

17 hours ago, Hunter Green said:

"From the river to the sea" is all you need to know about these mindless robots.

They are simply tools of their overlords that distribute hate ideology through TikTok. Nothing more.

• Upvote 5
  • Thanks 1