Anyone hear Randy Galloway?

NMBNTC

That's more than I heard on the Ticket.

George talked about it for a second yesterday morning, but was immediately derailed by Jr. (who else) who shifted the conversation to how big college basketball schools have terrible football programs.

Galloway is a guy I'd like to have a conversation with on a tailgating Saturday after a couple of beers, but find him far too annoying for the cmmute home.

• Upvote 3

George talked about it for a second yesterday morning, but was immediately derailed by Jr. (who else) who shifted the conversation to how big college basketball schools have terrible football programs.

Galloway is a guy I'd like to have a conversation with on a tailgating Saturday after a couple of beers, but find him far too annoying for the cmmute home.

I would prefer him on the way home instead of tailgating. This way when he annoys me I can just turn the channel.

I'm a ticket listener, and this is my biggest gripe about the station. They are full of UNT grads, and they just rare back and kick georgy in the nuts about UNT.

I can't listen to Grandpa Urine. He is just too generic good ole boy for me. I will listen to him on occasion during the ticket's commercials.

George is the only positive voice we've got out there right now. That being said, Grandpa urine mentioning us(although it sounds like sarcasm) is at least a mention...

Winning and filling our stadium will at least make this a bit better.

I sent an email to Jeff Catlin, and Big Dan Bennett when we were in the Sun Belt Tourney for B-ball. I said that they should do more on UNT. We are trying to build up our MEAN GREEN nation but it’s hard with no local sports talk support. I mentioned all their UNT grads there and the fact that they should have a 1-2 hr Sunday show. Dan Bennett personally emailed me back and got defensive. He questioned if I ever actually listened to the ticket and said they tlak about UNT all the time. I love the Ticket, but I was quite sour after that. Maybe when we win a national championship in f-ball or b-ball we can get a mention.

• Upvote 1

I sent an email to Jeff Catlin, and Big Dan Bennett when we were in the Sun Belt Tourney for B-ball. I said that they should do more on UNT. We are trying to build up our MEAN GREEN nation but it's hard with no local sports talk support. I mentioned all their UNT grads there and the fact that they should have a 1-2 hr Sunday show. Dan Bennett personally emailed me back and got defensive. He questioned if I ever actually listened to the ticket and said they tlak about UNT all the time. I love the Ticket, but I was quite sour after that. Maybe when we win a national championship in f-ball or b-ball we can get a mention.

Yeah they do talk about the Mean Green all the time when they are doing paid ad spots for All Pro foundation repair.

• Upvote 3

Sports radio stations are a for profit venture. I doubt the 30 or so of us hard core fans on this site would do nearly enough to boost their ratings.

Win in football (hopefully 2 years away), win big in basketball (Will be next year) and give them something to talk about. A one hour show of "yep, UNT football still sucks" isn't going to be something that they are interested in doing.

Sports radio stations are a for profit venture. I doubt the 30 or so of us hard core fans on this site would do nearly enough to boost their ratings.

Win in football (hopefully 2 years away), win big in basketball (Will be next year) and give them something to talk about. A one hour show of "yep, UNT football still sucks" isn't going to be something that they are interested in doing.

I love college hoops, probably even a bit more than college football, but even if we were to go 25-5, no one in the area would even give more than a one-time segment to college hoops before March Madness. Maybe the most frustrating thing I deal with as a fan of college basketball is how little the DFW sports media care about that sport. When they talk about it, it is always disparaging. UNT football is the only chance we have to get solid coverage that can translate into more fans and attendance. Its just tough when we finally beat a team that is from a power conference and it literally can't even get listed on the front page of the DMN's colleges website, although those big wins that SMU got over the worst team in America (Memphis) and TCU go over FCS powerhouse Portland State were definitely shown, along with the other Big XII scores. And from I what I read here, the Star-Telegram didn't even mention it, except for a small AP paragraph.

I love college hoops, probably even a bit more than college football, but even if we were to go 25-5, no one in the area would even give more than a one-time segment to college hoops before March Madness. Maybe the most frustrating thing I deal with as a fan of college basketball is how little the DFW sports media care about that sport. When they talk about it, it is always disparaging. UNT football is the only chance we have to get solid coverage that can translate into more fans and attendance. Its just tough when we finally beat a team that is from a power conference and it literally can't even get listed on the front page of the DMN's colleges website, although those big wins that SMU got over the worst team in America (Memphis) and TCU go over FCS powerhouse Portland State were definitely shown, along with the other Big XII scores. And from I what I read here, the Star-Telegram didn't even mention it, except for a small AP paragraph.

A win over a below average Texas Tech team isn't going to get you noticed.

I agree, 1st and foremost, your football team needs to be winning, because this is Texas, after all. But, if this basketball program does what I think it can do in the 2013 NCAAs, we won't need to worry about local attention because we will be getting national attention.

I don't disagree with you but our own people are our own worst enemy. We talk about the 100K alumni living in the area, 37K students and plus we just opened a beautiful football stadium and we can't sellout any of the first two home games. To me that is more cause for concern than a few radio guys spending 10 seconds on the UNT game this past weekend. I'd like them to talk about our school just as much as anybody but unfortunately right now that is just not a reality. The fact is that a handful of people on a UNT forum won't make much difference to them. We hav won 11 games in the last 6 years and we're off to a 1-3 start this season. During the bowl years while they didn't spend segments on them but I remember hearing there being more discussion on The Ticket about UNT.

No need to bitch about a battle we're clearly not going to win right now. Just win win win and sell that stadium and basketball arena out and maybe then you'll see a little change.

Edited by Green Mean
  • Upvote 3

Yep, give it time. Our first game in Apogee was a little more than 2 weeks ago. We still have the stench of 2005-2010 on us...but once more and more people get a chance to make the trip to Denton and see the entirety of the Athletic Village on a gameday, word will get around. Then it's just up to the football team to win games.

Edited by TIgreen01

I listen to about 30-45 minutes of The Ticket per day on my phone and while I don't hear them talk about NT it isn't like they are breaking down SMU or TCU. Granted my listening sample isn't that large so correct me if I am wrong about that. If they were talking all the time about SMU/TCU and breaking down match-ups and taking calls it would be one thing, but I don't think they do that.

I also don't get this almost sense of entitlement. "We have 37k students and countless alums, the media should be talking about us." Why? The Ticket has dominated the ratings for years without doing so. What is the incentive now? Increased ratings/revenue? Probably not.

I really love my alma mater, but the fact is that only winning will lead to move coverage. Plain and simple. We could have 100,000 students and we couldn't get coverage if our team was terrible.

The more important question to ask is why with all of these students and countless alums we couldn't sell out the first game in our BRAND NEW STADIUM against a regional opponent with a Heisman contender. That is more disconcerting.

My friends and I made a point to order tickets the day they went on sale because we were concerned about it selling out quickly. Oops!

Patrick

• Upvote 2

why would anyone expect The Ticket to talk about sports in general?

the only sport that the ticket somewhat covers is cowboys football... they try to get Corby to do some rants about sports like college football and golf, but he only know what he read that morning online...

look, i love the ticket for what it is, and i listen to it most of the time, but I would never expect to get any sort of sports news from there

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

For what it's worth, I recommend looking into a Sirius satellite radio for your daily commute - commercial-free uncensored programming such as Howard Stern or the plethora of less controversial sports, comedy, great music, news, politics, audio books, etc. makes it well worth the fourteen- dollars a month - not a shareholder or anything, just enjoy it - teresterial radio doesn't compare. Think about it the next time you have to listen to fifteen- minutes of D&M Autoleasing commercials or ads for Mans's Best Friend...talk about a pain in the arse.

• Upvote 1

Since I've been recuperating from by-pass surgery the last 4 weeks my days have pretty much been sports shows non-stop and the TV version of GAC from 3-6 has been a staple (I'm in Northeast Texas). I heard the comments Randy made and at first I was afraid he was being a little too tongue in cheek but then I felt he was really giving some props to the Mean Green which was great. After all he didn't have to give it any mention whatsoever. Let's put a run together so that its a regular occurrence. Can't wait to see Apogee in person. Hopefully my doc will release me for that kind of trip soon. GMG!!!

• Upvote 1