New Helmet Spotted

Zeke

I think having "North Texas" on the helmet makes perfect sense for the time being. As much as some, including myself, would like to only have the eagle or some other symbol on the helmet...the fact of the matter is that not many people from around the country know who we are. We don't have the name recognition right now that the likes of UT, Alabama, Auburn, and Oregon have. Whenever people watch a televised game of North Texas and see "North Texas" on the helmet, there is no question as to who we are. Having "North Texas" on the helmet will also help end the confusion of "NTSU" and all of those other names that individuals on this board get so mad about when an announcer refers to us as.

Overall, I think this makes sense for our current situation. 5-10 years from now may be another story if things go well...but right now I think it makes sense.

• Upvote 8
  • Downvote 6

I think having "North Texas" on the helmet makes perfect sense for the time being. As much as some, including myself, would like to only have the eagle or some other symbol on the helmet...the fact of the matter is that not many people from around the country know who we are. We don't have the name recognition right now that the likes of UT, Alabama, Auburn, and Oregon have. Whenever people watch a televised game of North Texas and see "North Texas" on the helmet, there is no question as to who we are. Having "North Texas" on the helmet will also help end the confusion of "NTSU" and all of those other names that individuals on this board get so mad about when an announcer refers to us as.

Overall, I think this makes sense for our current situation. 5-10 years from now may be another story if things go well...but right now I think it makes sense.

I agree. But, be prepared, here come the -1s.

• Upvote 6
  • Downvote 8

Does it really? We've had it on there for the past 10 years and I believe we were refered to as "NTSU" numerous times...LAST YEAR.

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1

i have never understood RV's insistence on having North Texas on the helmets. How many people watch a tv football game and can't figure out who is playing? The only scenario that would have any effect is someone channel surging and notices North Texas and then decides to watch the game, highly unlikely.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

The Sports Information Dept. should deliver a memo to every person having anything to do with our games as to what the name of our University is.

It would not do any good. They would not read them.

Some are just good talkers, but do not even have the sense to get in out of the rain.

• Upvote 1

You're talking about national recognition and we don't even have a brand in Lewisville yet. The problem with putting "North Texas" as your logo, especially locally, is it doesn't resonate with people. Everything here is "North Texas", so your message gets lost. If you have a single recognizable logo, then you can start putting it up locally against the longhorn, BU, TT, pony, and horned frog. If no one has ever seen your logo on helmets, uniforms, basketball highlights, or football highlights, then it's hard to sell merchandise with it. So now you have all these people running around locally wearing the logos they've seen, and not ours because no one knows what our logo is. So then your brand is smaller, makes marketing harder, and fewer and fewer people are aware of your existence. It's a vicious cycle that our AD seems to be unaware of.

Marketing nationally is putting the cart before the horse.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

We have a great logo

I have no idea why we refuse to capitalize on it

Every time I've shown someone out of state (or even out of country) our SOW logo, they universally say it's awesome. A couple of them even bought hats from Lids (one from California, another from Bermuda). The AD is so insecure about "Mean Green" possibly being confused with "Eagles" that no one knows our logo outside of Denton and a comparatively small number of alums. Ironic as I remember hearing that of what little merchandise we do sell, the SOW + "Mean Green" combo goes the fastest.

• Upvote 1

and how many people REALLY need to read the side of a football helmet to know who is playing? The SOW will NEVER be associated with North Texas by the general public if we refuse to use it.

Especially when the jerseys say "North Texas". I just don't get our AD either.

• Upvote 1

You're talking about national recognition and we don't even have a brand in Lewisville yet. The problem with putting "North Texas" as your logo, especially locally, is it doesn't resonate with people. Everything here is "North Texas", so your message gets lost. If you have a single recognizable logo, then you can start putting it up locally against the longhorn, BU, TT, pony, and horned frog. If no one has ever seen your logo on helmets, uniforms, basketball highlights, or football highlights, then it's hard to sell merchandise with it. So now you have all these people running around locally wearing the logos they've seen, and not ours because no one knows what our logo is. So then your brand is smaller, makes marketing harder, and fewer and fewer people are aware of your existence. It's a vicious cycle that our AD seems to be unaware of.

Yep. we're lucky the helmets don't say "Univeristy of North Texas - Denton...Please Visit Our UNT-Dallas Campus Too", but I think they had trouble getting it to fit.

Maybe RV can get some scrolling LED message boards installed in the sides of the helmets so he can post all kinds of UNT messages. Hey, I think I just stumbled onto an idea. [i now claim copyright to this!!!]

Thank you You couldn't be more accurate with this post in explaining another area in which we are leaving money on the table.

And I nearly fell over when I read this...

"(Most of you may not know that UNT was called the Mean Green long before Joe Greene attended school there. Once he got to the NFL his teammates/reporters started to call him Mean Joe Greene, combining his alma mater's name and his convenient last name, to create a memorable nickname.)."

I know greenminerSteve had to be smiling as well. Getting the story RIGHT, one person at a time!!!!

Rick

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1