Temple game to be on ESPNU 10/14 @ 11 a.m.

Matt from A700

45 minutes ago, KingDL1 said:

ESPN U has like a Hundred channels are they not all national regardless of time? Or is this one guaranteed to be carried nationally on cable TV outlets? 

outside of ESPN, ESPN2 or ESPNU, there won't be a single tv in a bar on a ESPN + or ESPN3 in the nation... 

• Upvote 4
  • Confused 2
  • Downvote 2

2 hours ago, GMG_Dallas said:

I feel some would complain about being gifted a $100 bill if it were wrinkled.

My identifying picture is an homage to that sentiment.  And I have used that picture for a long time.

Happens to be the weekend we set for our annual BBQ. Early start sucks but are planning a meal for 80, and we will figure out how to make it great again (11th year).

That said, we have another excuse for poor game day atmosphere. But ehether we have 10 at our normal tailgate or 100 at the BBQ, our little cohort finds a way to squeeze a little great game day atmosphere into Section 110. Atmosphere is local.

I am confident King will do the same at the Mean Green Nation's premier tailgate, and at the game.

GMG

Edited by untcampbell
  • Upvote 5
  • Lovely Take 1

27 minutes ago, NT80 said:

You're thinking of ESPN+ which is only streaming, and carries multiple games.  ESPN-U is a single linear channel, like ESPN, ESPN-2, NBC, etc.

I have the ESPN app on my ROKU it used to show a plus Section but now I don't remember seeing it as separate.  

19 minutes ago, untcampbell said:

My identifying picture is an homage to that sentiment.  And I have used that picture for a long time.

Happens to be the weekend we set for our annual BBQ. Early start sucks but are planning a meal for 80, and we will figure out how to make it great again (11th year).

That said, we have another excuse for poor game day atmosphere. Whether we have 10 at our normal tailgate or 100 at the BBQ, our little cohort finds a way to squeeze a little great game day atmosphere into Section 110.

I am confident King will too.

GMG

I'm glad you're trying to make the best of it. I'm sure as we approach the Temple game, frustrations over the early start time will be replaced by excitement as we're set to host our first home AAC conference game.

I'll be there +4. No tailgating. We'll get breakfast on the way out of town and make the hour-plus drive to Denton.

As you said, just another excuse for a poor gameday atmosphere. If kickoff is at 2, it's too hot. If kickoff is at 7, it's too late for those with kids. If kickoff is on a Wednesday or Thursday, it's impractical for those who have school-aged kids. Friday game is rough because it's the end of the work/school week. There's something for every scenario.

• Upvote 4

53 minutes ago, Green Crazy said:

This.

The difference in attendance from a 11AM game to a 6 PM game will be negligible. The exposure,  regardless if nation wide or just our region and their's would be far greater than the 2-4k difference in butts in the seats.  

And who do you think this effects more, the student attendance or the alumni attendance? Students should at the least want to be in the stands to possibly be seen on "national" TV.  Tailgaters who were planning on tailgating a 6pm game will most likely still tailgate at 11am.  

I am not sure about the students now. I hear stories of Friday nights being an all-night video game play night and sleep-in to noon on Saturdays.  

But I know plenty of alumni prioritize our games differently than other schools. Something like Kiddo sports,  home chores early in the day, and then going to North Texas Football. The actual number of butts in seats can differ quite a bit, in my experience. The difference in announced may not be as much. 

The hard part about an 11:00 a.m. game is most try to start wrapping up their tailgates about an hour before the game starts. To get others out to tailgate even for an hour means 9:00 a.m., and most of the casual fans are not doing that.  

• Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 3

7 hours ago, 3XNTGRAD said:

Bring your eclipse glasses to the game. Annular eclipse will peak at 11:52am with about 86% coverage.

Has UNT ever played a football game during an eclipse before?

This is really cool considering that we're located in a significant zone and it will be happening during the game.
To your question, I don't recall any major sports activity experiencing a > 80% eclipse.  I'm sure it's happened, but probably pretty rare.

Note: This is the last annular solar eclipse that will be visible from the United States until June 21, 2039.

Here's an animation of the affects/times for the entire Earth.

https://science.nasa.gov/eclipses/future-eclipses/eclipse-2023/

Edited by meaniegreenie
  • Upvote 5

My only complaint is that we have a habit of embarrassing ourselves (football) when we play for a national audience (Arkansas aside). 

See: the past 6 bowl games other than last year's

Cal this year 

SMU and UTSA last year (CBSSN)

Marshall in 2021 (CBSSN)

Charlotte and SMU in 2020 (ESPNU and CBSSN)

Houston in 2019 (CBSSN)

Any national game in 2015

LATech (CBSSN) and UTEP (FSN) in 2014

Edited by meanJewGreen
  • Upvote 2
  • Sad 1
  • Eye Roll 3