Does a week 3 win take the pressure off of the new staff?

TripleGrad

I realize right now that everyone expects the Mean Green to get rolled by LaTech.

But suppose the team does well, and pulls out a win. The next week is a bye, and then ACU.

Does a win in Ruston significantly appease the FIRE MORRIS crowd?  Would a win the next game, and a 2-2 record do it?

What say you?

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 6
  • Eye Roll 1

I'm not in the Fire Morris crew yet, I do think Caponi should be gone after this year though.

I just had to really wane my expectations after the Cal game. Now I just want a respectable 4-8 or 5-7 year. If he sucks again next season, his seat should be hot. Can't afford as long of a leash as Littrell or even Benford had.

• Upvote 6

7 hours ago, Matt from A700 said:

I'm not in the Fire Morris crew yet, I do think Caponi should be gone after this year though.

I just had to really wane my expectations after the Cal game. Now I just want a respectable 4-8 or 5-7 year. If he sucks again next season, his seat should be hot. Can't afford as long of a leash as Littrell or even Benford had.

I hope Morris quickly realizes he needs an experienced DC and makes a change. He needs to find the best available, experienced DC, or even hire an FCS HC with the experience, and then let him control that side of the ball like Seth was doing with Phil. Morris is a Mike Leach AirRaid coach - He is not a Defensive side of the ball X's and O's guy.

(Different sport, but similar message)

0GktY_.gif

Edited by El Paso Eagle
  • Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1

It depends.

If we win but let LaTech score 50 and barely scrape by because he started Earle who turned the ball over a bunch only to have Rogers come in and save the day: no. 

If we have a solid offensive performance and Tech scores under 30, then yes - a little. But would then need to blow out ACU, and beat one of Navy or Temple without getting embarrassed in either game. Then we will see. 

Anything other than the above should result in a new DC at least. 

• Upvote 6
  • Eye Roll 1

8 hours ago, untjim1995 said:

I’d like to see it. I had us losing to La Tech at the beginning of the season, but beating FIU. We could be feeling better if we can get to 2-2, no doubt.

I fear 1-11 is very, very possible, though. 

If that happens, do we go Coach Prime and gut this team and bring in 40-50 portal transfers? I say, yes. Maybe we should anyway because I believe half this team would bolt. 

8 hours ago, 97and03 said:

It depends.

If we win but let LaTech score 50 and barely scrape by because he started Earle who turned the ball over a bunch only to have Rogers come in and save the day: no. 

If we have a solid offensive performance and Tech scores under 30, then yes - a little. But would then need to blow out ACU, and beat one of Navy or Temple without getting embarrassed in either game. Then we will see. 

Anything other than the above should result in a new DC at least. 

I agree with you, but can you fire your DC with the lack of talent, size and depth he has to work with? I know it's not a popular opinion, but we probably need to see the entire body of work as you can't really fire someone after 2-3 games. Just won't happen. At this point, I want Chandler Roger's to start the rest of the way, give Oscar Addaway the bulk of the carries and look for improvement on defense. After the season, tear that portal up!

5 minutes ago, Hunter Green said:

If that happens, do we go Coach Prime and gut this team and bring in 40-50 portal transfers? I say, yes. Maybe we should anyway because I believe half this team would bolt. 

Do we even have a choice? 

I would love to field a team of our own players, guys loyal to the team. Sadly, that's not how it works anymore. And after watching SMU, Colorado, Tx State, etc... Everyone is going to go even more portal/NIL crazy.

And, as has been said, if we lack the size and buy-in from the team... You don't have a lot of options but going scorched earth.

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, TripleGrad said:

I realize right now that everyone expects the Mean Green to get rolled by LaTech.

But suppose the team does well, and pulls out a win. The next week is a bye, and then ACU.

Does a win in Ruston significantly appease the FIRE MORRIS crowd?  Would a win the next game, and a 2-2 record do it?

What say you?

Heck no

2 hours ago, Hunter Green said:

I agree with you, but can you fire your DC with the lack of talent, size and depth he has to work with? I know it's not a popular opinion, but we probably need to see the entire body of work as you can't really fire someone after 2-3 games. Just won't happen. At this point, I want Chandler Roger's to start the rest of the way, give Oscar Addaway the bulk of the carries and look for improvement on defense. After the season, tear that portal up!

The part that is inexcusable, even if they manage to right the ship is that they showed up to the season in complete disarray, especially on defense.  That just can't/shouldn't happen.  

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Win the next 2 and go into conference play at 2-2, sure.   It won't necessarily mean he's "turned a corner" or anything.   If he can do that, and then go to Annapolis, and beat Navy... yes, I'll relent some & see where the season goes.

I haven't paid attention to Navy, but assume they still rely on their traditional offense.  I don't see how our undersized 3-man front will keep them from getting 5 yds on every play and more when tackles are missed.