BREAKING: Lamar game may "possibly" be cancelled per Lamar HC

Harry

11 minutes ago, Sig381 said:

With the game more than likely canceled or move to a later date how will the school handle the tickets that were sold for the game? 

If the game is rescheduled you'd just use the same ticket. If the game is canceled you'd likely need to get with the ticket office for a refund.

I am really surprised the game has not been postponed already.

Lots of road closures i Beaumont right now.

http://kfdm.com/traffic

Still getting heavy rain right now, at least until later today.

http://kfdm.com/weather/radar

Who knows how long it will take for the flooding to go down after the rain stops.

Not only do you have to factor in the difficulty of the team practicing and getting out of town in time,   But, you have to factor in all the more personal humane factors mentioned in this thread.   I really believe that everybody affiliated with Lamar is trying their best to get this game played on saturday.     But, it's time to reschedule IMO.    

Besides, do we really want to play a team that is going through a lot of possible mental anguish right now ?    It would be pretty hard to cheer against them at Apogee on saturday :(

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

15 hours ago, EagleMBA said:

UNTMike's post is right on.  In 1967, I was living in the Valley and a member of the Texas National Guard. We were activated by the Governor to provide security and rescue operations during Hurricane Beulah. Suffice it to say that Beulah was a real bitch. The storms were comparable in many ways but Harvey is much slower moving and therefore dumping much more water it seems. Of all disasters, hurricanes are the worst in my opinion. That opinion is based on having been up close and personal with a very nasty one.

We're all football fans here, but I would not get my undies in a wad if this game was postponed under these circumstances. This is a disaster that will have effects for years on that region.

the game should be cancelled and played at a later date, we will need the bye during the season.

Edited by southsideguy
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

For obvious reasons I want to get this game played but if it's not possible then I'm fine with the rescheduling.  And perhaps this is a really stupid question but is there a way to charter a plane for Lamar to get here rather than taking buses?  If that's possible why wouldn't that be the obvious option at least from a travel/logistics standpoint and not considering the mindset of the coaches/players etc which is a whole different thing.

As for the Astros and Rangers I think there's been overreaction on both sides and think there were two sides to the story despite Texas looking bad on the outside but I mean seriously I don't even think it should even be a major concern at this point.

• Lovely Take 2

Love the rangers but they disappointed me on this one.  Really took the shine off that organization for me. Jon Daniels not a Texan.  The fact they are worried about a long road trip was silly.  Glad the astros called them out. 

I hope we play but will understand if we don't.

GMG

• Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Downvote 3

13 hours ago, Harry said:

First off welcome to the board and your insight is appreciated.  Please let us know if you are coming to the game because we would like you to come by our tailgate for beer and food.

On the money game thing, believe me we feel your pain.  We have to pay the bills too although it hasn't been as bad lately as in the past we still get to play Iowa there this season and have faced teams like Florida recently.   Frankly we are not that big a favorites against you all in comparison to some of the p5's we have played in recent years.  I expect it will be competitive.

As you may know, our oline coach is Chuck Langston who came from Lamar and we have heard good things about him.  Spent some business time in Beaumont many moons ago and loved the community there.  Very big legal community located there as I recall.  Nice place.

Agreed in that we hope this game can be played and also for no injuries on both sides.  For those Fans of Lamar traveling to the game, safe travels and I think you will find our fans to be very friendly and welcoming. 

Thanks for your kind thoughts.  Unfortunately it's not looking like I'll have a chance to make it up there.  Believe me I could go for some cold beer, tailgate food and some college football right about now.  There was an outside chance before Harvey but I would have been going with a friend from Houston but he'll have other priorities now.

As for my house, I was spared last night.  Rain slacked off at about 2:00 this morning but had it continued for another hour so so at the rate it was at I would have had no chance.  Port Arthur which is about 10 minutes from me in the opposite direction of Lamar got absolutely hammered last night.  People being rescued from rooftops and such.  They were evacuating people to the Port Arthur Civic Center until it started to take on water.

I'm very familiar with Coach Langston.  His son is actually still a part of the Lamar team as a Long Snapper.  There was considerable improvement in our OL play when he moved from DFO to OL coach.  His first year as OC in 2015 saw Lamar have a RB run for 2,000+ yards and crossed the 2,000 mark in only 10 games...one of only 7 players in D-1 history to do that.  The OL also only gave up 5 sacks that season too.  2016 was an absolute nightmare as that RB went down with a season ending foot injury in game 5 then saw 4 QBs go down with season ending injuries in the next 3 weeks.  We ended up burning 2 red shirts at the QB position and finished the season with 1 healthy QB and a WR as the back-up QB.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

My aunt and uncle live in Pasadena and have been floating around their living room on an air mattress in about a foot of water since late Sunday night. They aren't risking driving or even tredging through waste high water out on the streets. They're hunkering down until it starts receding, and according to him it has already started to. 

• Upvote 1

Just checking the Lamar website, and other articles about LU.  Seems their campus is in good shape, some local street flooding, but nothing on campus.  They have asked to be a Red Cross shelter location.  The Volleyball tournament on campus scheduled this weekend was cancelled.   Doesn't mention anywhere that football is cancelled.  News articles note Beaumont is flooded, but no how bad it is flooded.  UL has offered LU practice facilities....  I know this is a natural disaster, and football is just......football, but sometime it is a good distraction to have some normalcy take place.....

I wish all prayers for safety and health, but hope the game goes on as scheduled...

• Upvote 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Downvote 1