Lamar's plan to get to Denton

Harry

4 hours ago, outoftown said:

Not sure this is a good plan.

Leaving west/north -ward tomorrow would seem the smarter move to me, as I expect a lot of the closed and flooded roads will be opened up tonight and tomorrow morning as the water starts receeding. In the east howevever is where the storm is headed, i.e. they are driving towards the problem it seems to me, not away from it.

Absolutely, flooding near Orange, even on the Interstate.

5 minutes ago, UNT 90 Grad said:

I wonder how quickly the Green Brigade could learn the Lamar Alma Mater and Fight Song.  How cool would that be.  I'm assuming Lamar is not bringing their band.  

I'm willing to bet our band could learn that sound in a couple minutes if they wanted. It would be a nice gesture.

• Upvote 1

Let me just say that I am happy the game is happening and thankful to Lamar AD and team for doing what it took, as it took quite a bit and doing it was definitely not a trivial decision. Whether one agrees with that decision or not, there is no good in not enjoying the game now. I am sure that almost all of you agree that Lamars players and staff deserve to be treated with a lot of respect which I hope everybody will show, and maybe some nice signs of chivalry like the green brigade playing Lamars alma mater and the AD investing a little to help them with the lodging and finding practice grounds etc.

With all that said, I still want UNT to beat them by 30. just like I wanted before the hurricane ever became a thing.

Edited by outoftown
  • Upvote 2
  • Lovely Take 1

1 hour ago, THOR said:

ya...our school better do what is needed...get them a room tonight/tomorrow and food and whatever they need...we have the cash/connections

I agree NT should do all they can to accommodate Lamar.   However, I wonder why you think NT who loses millions a year on athletics has a lot of cash.   

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Harry said:

I understand and respect where Shapiro is coming from. On the other hand, how much fun would it be for those guys to be sitting in Beaumont surrounded by flooding without any city water. The team is better off being on their way here right now. JMHO.

http://www.breitbart.com/texas/2017/08/31/harvey-floods-city-118k-loses-water-supply-hospital-evacuating/

Edited by EagleMBA
  • Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Downvote 1

4 minutes ago, GrandGreen said:

I agree NT should do all they can to accommodate Lamar.   However, I wonder why you think NT who loses millions a year on athletics has a lot of cash.   

You would have to think, if UNT did put them up and everything... Then it likely would lead to some more alumni sending in a check...

Matress Mac is getting alot of good coverage from his goodwill, would be nice for UNT to do it.. I'd like to beat whatever hotel they (lamar) is staying at is willing to go above and beyond for them most likely as well. 

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, GrandGreen said:

because our school has cash, athletics may lose money, but we have cash...ise it for a great humanitarian reason. these boys need a place to stay for days....we can pay for it

11 hours ago, Harry said:

Has this dude asked the team he covers what they think?   What if they WANT to get away for a few days and play the game they love?
If no, he's the irresponsible/selfish one spouting off like that.
If yes, and the team's resounding answer was that they wanted to stay home, then he's absolutely right and someone from Lamar's administration (AD/President) has a lot of explaining to do.

• Upvote 3
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

11 hours ago, EagleMBA said:

I understand and respect where Shapiro is coming from. On the other hand, how much fun would it be for those guys to be sitting in Beaumont surrounded by flooding without any city water. The team is better off being on their way here right now. JMHO.

http://www.breitbart.com/texas/2017/08/31/harvey-floods-city-118k-loses-water-supply-hospital-evacuating/

Exactly, how many times do we hear about athletes wanting to be on the field playing as a way to feel normal and put aside whatever tough times they are going through?

• Upvote 5

53 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Has this dude asked the team he covers what they think?   What if they WANT to get away for a few days and play the game they love?
If no, he's the irresponsible/selfish one spouting off like that.
If yes, and the team's resounding answer was that they wanted to stay home, then he's absolutely right and someone from Lamar's administration (AD/President) has a lot of explaining to do.

1. This isn't an issue you're really allowed an opinion about from the comfort of your fully-equipped home five hours away (or wherever you live). I've got no running water, a flooded car and haven't had a hot meal in days.

2. Lamar AD is "too busy" to speak with me and give an explanation for trying to navigate through this mess, per media relations. I know how to do my job.

3. Team took at least three coach buses and an equipment truck away from an area that is still evacuating people and still seeing flood waters rise. The basketball arena next door to their stadium is housing hundreds of evacuees. Those buses could be put to better use.

11 minutes ago, Army of Dad said:

Exactly, how many times do we hear about athletes wanting to be on the field playing as a way to feel normal and put aside whatever tough times they are going through?

Understand this, but team hasn't had a padded practice since last Saturday. No chance the team is game ready (nor should they be).

• Downvote 7