McCarney says UNT’s sticking with McNulty

Harry

Are any of y'all surprised? Our coach is the epitome of a failure. D. Smith will become the next Dajon and a possible work in progress that was thrown in the trash.

Coach Mac = The total imploding of UNT Football. I honestly think he is making it worse just going back to McNulty. Our season is a goner.... And if Mac had any sense in him, he would start repping other QB's in getting them prepared for next year. But no, we are going with a non FBS senior QB, who will maybe get us one win this season.

Mac is an idiot, and the whole entire season he was suppose to prepare for and has been managing is a complete insult to every one of us on this board and all of the fandom that is still sticking to supporting UNT through this mess.

Fire Mac and Fire RV... Otherwise UNT is going no where (or lower) in sports, because we are dead Effing last in FBS!

• Upvote 2

I'm looking for any evidence that he's any better than any other quarterback on our roster,and there just isn't any.

The only difference between us is that I think he and McNulty are equally bad.  It doesn't matter to me how much one or the other plays, we will fail with either in the game; that has already been demonstrated.

I guess maybe the other difference is that my hope is that a new coach will bring in totally new quarterbacks so that we never have to see any of these current quarterbacks on the field of play again.

He has a better arm than Mini Mac. Whether or not he has the game judgement to make it count is another issue.

I'm so bummed with the state of things that I'm ready to give the guy who has the better arm a couple of games wire-to-wire to see what happens. 

And that leads me to your final statement; it's depressing as hell that this is how I want to see QB playing time divvied up: "Which one of you has the most unproven talent? Congrats, take your first team reps."

• Upvote 2

He couldn't qualify to get into UCF.
He couldn't win the job at Western Kentucky.
He goes to a JUCO.
He couldn't win the job here.
He completes about 30% of his passes, takes sacks because he can't move well in the pocket, and throws interceptions.  Also, he didn't seem any faster or quicker running the ball than McNulty.  Is he saving his "athleticism" for certain games?  Mighty Southern Miss wasn't a worthy platform for him to reveal his awesomeness to the football world?

This is the resumé of a future NFL quarterback?

I'm looking for any evidence that he's any better than any other quarterback on our roster,and there just isn't any.

The only difference between us is that I think he and McNulty are equally bad.  It doesn't matter to me how much one or the other plays, we will fail with either in the game; that has already been demonstrated.

I guess maybe the other difference is that my hope is that a new coach will bring in totally new quarterbacks so that we never have to see any of these current quarterbacks on the field of play again.

Nobody said he's an NFL quarterback. He has publicly stated more than once that this is his aspiration, and that is not surprising since he was a varsity starter beginning in 9th grade against pretty decent competition, and he was flooded with praise for years by everyone around him.  He's likely not the second coming, but we haven't seen enough of him yet to throw him in the dumpster. People with innate skills do tend to improve with experience ya know. Enough said.

Why are you guys insulting the largest donors that we have?  You really think they believe that the on field results are acceptable? 

Do you/they value the unacceptable results on the field more than the cool buildings you guys are building/rennovating?   That appears to be the sticking point.  The vision you keep speaking of does not seem to include 'on-the-field' results. 
You've repeatedly said money is not a problem, yet the men's b-ball coach has a buyout that is significantly less than McCarney's, and is absolutely burning down, but he's still here.  Why would we think you guys would throw more money at McCarney who actually has a Bowl win in his pocket (indicating he has at least done some good here)?

• Upvote 1

People with innate skills and some stomach will stick out bad situations.  Call it the "Derek Thompson Syndrome." 

With "Derek Thompson Syndrome," you had a kid who was beaten out by a walk-on and injured to the tune of missing almost a whole season.  Quarterbacks - more highly rated than him out of high school - kept being signed.  Yet, this kid did not flinch.  Kept working in the weight room.  Kept studying.  Kept competing.  His persistence paid off, he started three years, set many school passing records, and won the MVP Award of a bowl game...wherein he was injured, but - predictably for him - kept playing.

There are no Derek Thompson-types on this roster.  Smith isn't close.  To me, until he proves otherwise, he's another Brock Berglund - a highly rated prep QB who never could live up to his billing because he wasn't disciplined enough to do everything a quarterback has to do to be a leader and a reliable player.

Sorry, man...we'll just agree to disagree on the ceiling for Smith.  I'd rather see the new coach bring in a freshman next year and get it started from there.  This season is done.  He and McNulty will keep leading us to failure, Mac will be canned, and we will pray that someone - RV or his replacement - will get us a head coach and some offensive coaches who know what college quarterbacks look like.   

Agree.

So what was wrong with the The Fake Lonnie Finch handle?

• Upvote 6

People with innate skills and some stomach will stick out bad situations.  Call it the "Derek Thompson Syndrome." 

With "Derek Thompson Syndrome," you had a kid who was beaten out by a walk-on and injured to the tune of missing almost a whole season.  Quarterbacks - more highly rated than him out of high school - kept being signed.  Yet, this kid did not flinch.  Kept working in the weight room.  Kept studying.  Kept competing.  His persistence paid off, he started three years, set many school passing records, and won the MVP Award of a bowl game...wherein he was injured, but - predictably for him - kept playing.

There are no Derek Thompson-types on this roster.  Smith isn't close.  To me, until he proves otherwise, he's another Brock Berglund - a highly rated prep QB who never could live up to his billing because he wasn't disciplined enough to do everything a quarterback has to do to be a leader and a reliable player.

Sorry, man...we'll just agree to disagree on the ceiling for Smith.  I'd rather see the new coach bring in a freshman next year and get it started from there.  This season is done.  He and McNulty will keep leading us to failure, Mac will be canned, and we will pray that someone - RV or his replacement - will get us a head coach and some offensive coaches who know what college quarterbacks look like.   

Agree.

That is the entire point. This season is done, so why not see if somebody else can show promise for next year at the position? McNulty has proven his worth, for whatever that is worth. Oh, and good luck with the starting freshman QB next year. With Mac that will be an impossibility unless there is a special connection. Get ready for a Greer/Means dogfight. This is getting too redundant. Hasta la vista.

Why are you guys insulting the largest donors that we have?  You really think they believe that the on field results are acceptable?

Because everything we care about sucks.  It sucks real real bad.  Us peons only get to experience the suck.  I would have to assume that somehow things don't suck as bad for the few who could afford to affect change because things are constantly allowed to suck harder and harder.   Thus the disconnect. 

• Upvote 2

He couldn't qualify to get into UCF.
He couldn't win the job at Western Kentucky.
He goes to a JUCO.
He couldn't win the job here.
He completes about 30% of his passes, takes sacks because he can't move well in the pocket, and throws interceptions.  Also, he didn't seem any faster or quicker running the ball than McNulty.  Is he saving his "athleticism" for certain games?  Mighty Southern Miss wasn't a worthy platform for him to reveal his awesomeness to the football world?

This is the resumé of a future NFL quarterback?

Mr. McNulty, please go away. 

• Upvote 5

it's not insulting, it's repeating something you posted publicly. They will not participate in the removal of the AD. 

Removing Mac and having RV involved in the next hire is unacceptable to some people on here. 

RV has been here 15 years and here we sit in the bottom 10 again. In his 15th year. A lot of people wonder how he keeps his job.  A lot of people wonder why he is safe while Mac, who has been here 1/3 of that time, is disposable.

• Upvote 3

“Andrew McNulty gives us the best chance to win right now.”

No disrespect to McNulty. If he's actually our best option, that's not his fault. He seems to be a nice guy, a hard worker, and he'll be North Texas for the rest of his life. This breakdown is all about Dan McCarney and Chico Canales. 

Andrew McNulty has thrown 10 or more passes in 15 North Texas football games. 

Our record in those games is 2-13. 

If a 5th year senior, who you have recruited, coached, trained and developed... Who has never known any head coach but you. Who has had the same Offensive Coordinator, same Quarterbacks Coach, the same offensive system, the same EVERYTHING for the past half decade... If his record across more than a full season of football games is 2-13? 

What does that say about you?

If this is your guy, and he's a guy that's all yours, from a stable system... And his winning percentage is .133? 

HOW can that be your "best chance to win"? 

How did you f--- yourself over so badly that you can't even find a guy who can even manage a 1-in-7 chance of winning? 

Why should you keep your job? 

Why? 

No disrespect to McNulty. If he's actually our best option, that's not his fault. He seems to be a nice guy, a hard worker, and he'll be North Texas for the rest of his life. This breakdown is all about Dan McCarney and Chico Canales. 

Andrew McNulty has thrown 10 or more passes in 15 North Texas football games. 

Our record in those games is 2-13. 

If a 5th year senior, who you have recruited, coached, trained and developed... Who has never known any head coach but you. Who has had the same Offensive Coordinator, same Quarterbacks Coach, the same offensive system, the same EVERYTHING for the past half decade... If his record across more than a full season of football games is 2-13? 

What does that say about you?

If this is your guy, and he's a guy that's all yours, from a stable system... And his winning percentage is .133? 

HOW can that be your "best chance to win"? 

How did you f--- yourself over so badly that you can't even find a guy who can even manage a 1-in-7 chance of winning? 

Why should you keep your job? 

Why? 

can you record this to vhs, then stuff it in a teddy bear and send it along to Dr. Smastrek?

• Upvote 5

I'm going to break stuff.

Quote of the day. Wish I had the standing to award that!

I honestly just don't get it. I really really don't get it. We have won ZERO games this season with Mcnulty at the helm. The offense has been terrible due to poor decision making by the qb, bad play calling or what some might call inconsistent play across the board. Mcnulty has had his chance to prove that he is the guy, Greer has had his chance to start, Smith is the only one that hasn't. Run Smith out for a start, if he's no good then sit him back down, run Mcnulty back out there and eat it the rest of the season. That is what any reasonable coach would do at this point, open the starting qb competition back up and see what shakes out. This is pathetic and shows that McCarney has given up and is phoning it in.

I was planning on coming "home" to Denton for homecoming, but this is really making me rethink that.

Every position should be an open competition. I know in football the QB gets the blame, but the is PLENTY to go around! McNulty has earned some pine time. Give Smith a chance to settle into a game. What is the worst that can happen? A lopsided loss?

• Upvote 3