McCarney says UNT’s sticking with McNulty

Harry

You don't have to get back to me later, you can do it now.  Our white quarterback is bad.  Our black quarterback is bad. 

I'm not the one Jimmy-The-Greeking-ing it by buying into the "Smith is more athletic" angle just because he's black.  I've seen them both play, they are both bad.  I've seen Dajon and McNulty play, they are both bad.

I've given the example of OU's white quarterback, Baker Mayfield, as one who truly is a "gamer" or "athletic" as people ridiculously claim about Williams and Smith.  He doesn't have to tell his coaches that he's a "gamer."  His play on the field shows it.  He's white, and "athletic" enough to make things happen on the fly.

A quarterback is either good or bad.  His color has nothing to do with it.  His work ethic does.  We have no quarterbacks, white or black, with the ability to do what Mayfield is doing.  They can't even do what Derek Thompson did here.  They don't do it on the field, so they are not putting in the time off the field.   

But, look...I understand it's fashionable to play the race card when you can't prove your issue.  So, go ahead and play it.  I've already said they're both bad.  You keep talking skin and "athleticism" - I'll keep going by the results from their on the field play.  White or black, our are bad. 

So what makes you the authority on this issue? Seriously. You seem very passionate and sure of yourself in regard to Smith's ineptitude, and if you tell us something that we don't already know on the subject, you might actually convince some of us that no amount of extended playing time will reap solid benefits for Smith at this level.

Are you on the team or extremely close to an unbiased member of the team? Have you played extensively with Smith at some level? Are you widely known as an expert at evaluating QB talent?

Just give me some solid evidence as to why you're so sure of your evaluation based on such a small sample size and I'm with ya bro. Otherwise, this argument is nothing more than a speculative rehash until we actually see him get extensive PT. TIA.

Go Rangers! 

• Upvote 4

Maybe I'm remembering wrong, but I thought everyone who saw the offseason videos from practice agreed Smith's ball looked the best? That has nothing to do with athleticism.

I don't know one way or the other about Smith's speed except the USM highlights; it appears Dajon is much more athletic than Demarcus.   I just think Smith is a big enough threat with his arm, coupled with what we've seen from Andrew, to try him more.

I've already said neither is good enough for FBS-level competition.  I'll say it again:  McNulty, Williams, Greer, Smith - all the same animal. 

It's not any one of them individually that is the problem.  The problem is the coaches who evaluated them, coaches with decades of experience, and gave them scholarships, but who should have know better. 

You were banished, & we didn't see you for a while around here, but we went over this chicken/egg argument quite a bit over the offseason.  

Most of us are very aware of the core problem and are in agreement with you, but in order to try & win games today, you've gotta work with what you have & determine who gives you the best chance to win.  2 years of McNulty have proven ineffective.  We need to have proof that Smith is too... If he is.

• Upvote 2

Not going to happen while McCarney is here.

When we end up with a new coaching staff next year, I hope they encourage Dillman to drop that 25 lbs  he's put on and let him have a legit chance at competing for the QB job. 0% chance he's worse than anything we've trotted out there the past several years (DT excluded).

• Upvote 2

Dajon's LaTech game was against backups.  He proved his worth VS UAB & Indiana last year.   2 shots to work with the 1's in preparation and start.  He was very careless with the ball in both games.

so was Trevon Boykin, AS. A FRESHMAN... Look at him now. 

Way to many people on here seem to focus in on the screw ups, and less on the things he can do. You can coach and correct the screw ups, you CAN'T coach/teach the skill that was obviously there with Dajon and Smith. Ask mini I'm sure he would love to be able to throw the ball downfield more than 10 yards. 

Edited by GMG24
  • Upvote 5

so was Trevon Boykin, AS. A FRESHMAN... Look at him now. 

Way to many people on here seem to focus in on the screw ups, and less on the things he can do. You can coach and correct the screw ups, you CAN'T coach/teach the skill that was obviously there with Dajon and Smith. Ask mini I'm sure he would love to be able to throw the ball downfield more than 10 yards. 

They all bought it when Mac Dajon'd Dajon.  They seem to realize Mac is Dajoning Smith, but they still can't see how he Dajon'd Dajon. 

• Upvote 5

Look at that kid at OU, Baker Mayfield.  He had a few lower than FBS-level scholarship offers coming out of high school, but felt he was better.  So, he walked on at Texas Tech.  WALKED-ON at Texas Tech!  I mean, do you think Texas Tech probably had a few 3-star QBs already there?  He didn't care.  He walked on, showed up in August, and won the starting job there as a freshman!

I don't want to let facts get in the way of a good story but I know for sure Mayfield turned down an offer to Rice. He also only had to beat out one other quarterback to win the starting job, true freshman scholarship quarterback Davis Webb who, after Michael Brewer and Mayfield left, lost the starting job to Pat Mahomes(who is a year younger). The starting quarterback for the 2013 Texas Tech Red Raiders was supposed to be Michael Brewer (the now injured starting Virginia Tech quarterback) who was injured before the start of the season and for the majority of the year. Brewer's injury forced Kingsbury to pick between Mayfield and Webb, two true freshmen. If Brewer was not injured, Mayfield doesn't start as a freshman and likely sits until Brewer's eligibility expires or Mahomes comes in and beats him out. Mayfield fell into the perfect storm at Tech. He got lucky. What he has done at OU deserves praise but he didn't do anything at Tech but beat on scrub teams and look bad against good ones.

Edited by Cr1028
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

You were banished

He didn't get banned.  He got put on moderated posting.  Just like Cougar King.  Posts go into a queue that the admins have to approve.  If nothing he posted as TFLF showed up it's because every admin thought it was too insane to post.  

HFS started off sane, but I think he has gone of the medication, because he is dangerously close to full rails off.

ETA:  As anyone can see CK still posts a lot on here.  He was able to change his trolling behavior, hell he might be given full posting rights at some point.  

Edited by Cerebus
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Not really.  Thompson won the starting job and did something with it.  The other two didn't/haven't.  So, it's not a huge leap.  DT faced tough times while he was herel but, he didn't quit or light up his twitter with angst about his situation.

Sorry, fellas.  DT worked hard and was successful in the end.  These other two - Dajon quit when the going got tough, and Smith seems intent on pissing and moaning.  What he needs to do is resolve to buckle down so that the next time he's put in the game he isn't throwing interceptions and taking sacks.

You guys and your mythical "more athletic quarterback" angle...string together a decent series or two against FBS-level competition with all of your superior "athletic" ability, please. For f*ck sake, it would take Ben Roethlisberger and Tom Brady a week to run a 40 yard dash.  You think anyone gave a sh*t about that when they were in college?  Hell, no, because they could play quarterback. 

Ridiculous.  Some of you need to trade in your football tickets for track and field tickets.  Sheesh. 

Now we're comparing our QB's to Roethlesburger and Brady..talk about a stretch.....for phuck sake...

Rick

• Upvote 1

My hope would be, that after a half, if McNulty is still struggling that we would see some new faces get a shot.  DaMarcus, Means heck even Quin Shanbour or Josh Cousins.  You have to make adjustments when your initial plans don't work out.  We have to start looking at the future.

Nearly every video and picture of McCarney I see him wearing his sunglasses.  Does he wear these things everywhere?  It reminds me of "The Phantom" comic strip  where Kit Walker wears sunglasses when out of costume.  

He caught a little too much sun in Florida, lost use of one eye which is replaced with a glass one, and needs to wear the sunglasses supposedly as much as possible.

Just think! The Vikings can knock off *two* pirate coaches this year!

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

That's the thing Harry, I am starting to think Mac IS on the hot seat.  There is no future for him if he isn't here next year.  If he thinks McNulty is the best chance to win right now, forget next year.  

I have to agree. It really is the most logical reason for his stubborn insistence on staying the course.

But, I don't know if he gets 6 losses like Dodge did. A loss today would be a historic blunder and in the grand scheme of things, there isn't much difference from 0-5 and 0-6. I can't see Canales being the scapegoat for everything that's gone wrong over the past two seasons.

I have to agree. It really is the most logical reason for his stubborn insistence on staying the course.

But, I don't know if he gets 6 losses like Dodge did. A loss today would be a historic blunder and in the grand scheme of things, there isn't much difference from 0-5 and 0-6. I can't see Canales being the scapegoat for everything that's gone wrong over the past two seasons.

The money begs to differ, & money talks, loud.