McCarney says UNT’s sticking with McNulty

Harry

“Andrew McNulty is our starter,” McCarney said. “I was really disappointed in the consistency of DaMarcus Smith when we did give him an opportunity. He does have talent, but the attention to detail is something he needs to make major, major improvement on. If he does, then he has a chance to contend for the top spot. If he doesn’t, we will get what we saw the other night.”

Smith made one of the biggest plays of the night for UNT when he hit Carlos Harris on a deep ball for 61 yards. The junior couldn’t build on that throw and finished the night 3-for-11 for 70 yards.

Smith threw an interception in the end zone after hitting Harris on the deep ball. McCarney said he has no plans to play Smith this week.

“He will make a play now and again, but there will be some issues and mistakes,” McCarney said. “He made far too many mistakes. What you saw in the game is what we see in practice. He is inconsistent and makes too many mistakes. He has talent, but he is not putting himself in position to be a No. 1 because of those things. He knows that. Andrew McNulty gives us the best chance to win right now.”

read more:  http://www.dentonrc.com/sports/sports-headlines/20151005-football-mccarney-says-unts-sticking-with-mcnulty.ece

so he pulls Smith after 1 INT in the RZ but ignores Lil Macs Pick 6 against Iowa, saying he had a solid game, ignores the 3 third down sacks in the 1Q, ignores that Lil Mac can not move the ball against any first team defenses.

Yeah no reason to make a change there , ole football God

• Upvote 6
  • Downvote 1

"...Andrew McNulty gives us the best chance to win right now.”

This is the face of your best chance to win....

McNulty_Andrew_NT15This is the look of an 0-4 QB

“I was really disappointed in the consistency of DaMarcus Smith when we did give him an opportunity. He does have talent, but the attention to detail is something he needs to make major, major improvement on......“He will make a play now and again, but there will be some issues and mistakes,” McCarney said. “He made far too many mistakes. What you saw in the game is what we see in practice. He is inconsistent and makes too many mistakes.

I know we dont know the play call but what mistakes did he make other than the INT? He was 3-11 and I know two of those incompletions were drops by the WR's. Regardless of what QB is in, our damn receivers need to catch the ball, there has been way too many drops this year by WR/TE. Can someone walk me through his inconsistencies? Whats consistent with McNulty is that he consistently throws interceptions

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1

He doesn't want Smith to have anything close to Dajon-like McNeese St performance against an FCS team, because then he would be forced to play him against WKU.

Whatever Mac. Waiting for the excuse you use to keep him on the bench when we are 0-6...

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

I honestly just don't get it. I really really don't get it. We have won ZERO games this season with Mcnulty at the helm. The offense has been terrible due to poor decision making by the qb, bad play calling or what some might call inconsistent play across the board. Mcnulty has had his chance to prove that he is the guy, Greer has had his chance to start, Smith is the only one that hasn't. Run Smith out for a start, if he's no good then sit him back down, run Mcnulty back out there and eat it the rest of the season. That is what any reasonable coach would do at this point, open the starting qb competition back up and see what shakes out. This is pathetic and shows that McCarney has given up and is phoning it in.

I was planning on coming "home" to Denton for homecoming, but this is really making me rethink that.

I honestly just don't get it. I really really don't get it. We have won ZERO games this season with Mcnulty at the helm. The offense has been terrible due to poor decision making by the qb, bad play calling or what some might call inconsistent play across the board. Mcnulty has had his chance to prove that he is the guy, Greer has had his chance to start, Smith is the only one that hasn't. Run Smith out for a start, if he's no good then sit him back down, run Mcnulty back out there and eat it the rest of the season. That is what any reasonable coach would do at this point, open the starting qb competition back up and see what shakes out. This is pathetic and shows that McCarney has given up and is phoning it in.

I was planning on coming "home" to Denton for homecoming, but this is really making me rethink that.

No, he didnt (at least, not this year).   But, he also got pick-6'd against Iowa's 2s & 3s, and otherwise looked lost.  He doesn't need a chance to start.  We already know what's there.

• Upvote 2

A few of us tried to tell everyone that Damarcus Smith wasn't going to get to play ahead of McNulty this year, barring injury. McNulty is Mac's boy and Damarcus Smith missing Spring Ball was the final nail in the coffin for Old School McCarney.

There won't be 500 people at Apogee for that last game in 2017 when he finishes out his run here as head coach. Just pathetic...

• Upvote 1

Can't wait for MiniMac to have his best game of the year going 21-29 for 297 3 td's and 0 ints. Then afterwards Mac can talk about what a leader McNulty is and how he really led this team to a great victory to get us on track. blah blah blah.

F U Mac. Walk away, for the love of god, please, just walk away.

• Upvote 4

Can't wait for MiniMac to have his best game of the year going 21-29 for 297 3 td's and 0 ints. Then afterwards Mac can talk about what a leader McNulty is and how he really led this team to a great victory to get us on track. blah blah blah.

He's milking it for whatever he can and I don't blame him.  He knows he'll never get another HC job at any level and will be lucky to get a decent assistant spare coach job at a good university.  Believe he's said many times he'll be retiring on the beach in Florida and he has absolutely no reason to go away at this point on his own.

• Upvote 2

This is his last big paycheck as a head coach. He ain't walking away. 

Similiarly, this is RV's last big paycheck as an AD, and he ain't walking away, either.

Isn't it great to know that we have an AD and a football coach that no one else in America would hire? 

Only at UNT...

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

This is his last big paycheck as a head coach. He ain't walking away. 

Similiarly, this is RV's last big paycheck as an AD, and he ain't walking away, either.

Isn't it great to know that we have an AD and a football coach that no one else in America would hire? 

Only at UNT...

All at the same time with a QB that couldn't play one down at another FBS university in America, as well...thank God he passes those Chico tests with flying colors and just tears it up against the scout team in practice.

• Upvote 1

If we were a real football program, Mac would be reassigned after the massacre coming vs WKU. And that's making the VERY big assumption that we beat Portland St.

If we lose to Portland St., Mac should be reassigned immediately.

We are North Texas. So it will never happen.

• Upvote 1

If we were a real football program, Mac would be reassigned after the massacre coming vs WKU. And that's making the VERY big assumption that we beat Portland St.

If we lose to Portland St., Mac should be reassigned immediately.

We are North Texas. So it will never happen.

That would cost money, UNT90...we just can't (won't) do that here. Otherwise, the UNT17 will walk away and we will lose money on this program instead of staying in budget.../BOR member