SMU Announce 2017 &19 home and home with Ark State

Harry

I hope this shows how low on the totem pole SMU really is...they aren't relevant, won't ever be again, and are just as lowly as all the other G5s are. Doak Walker, Don Meredith, Eric Dickerson, and Craig James are bygones. Their post-death penalty is filled with "greats" like Ramon Flanigan and other spares...They think of themselves as being peers with SWC compadres like Arkansas and Texas. Meanwhile, they can only schedule home-and-home series in the future with North Texas and Arkansas State. And when TCU and Baylor see no value in playing them, they'll get dropped even further down the totem pole.

They snubbed us forever from being in theri conferences. Now that get to enjoy being on our level, even if they won't ever be our conference mates. It serves them right.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 3

Why so salty?

I really don't understand some of the vitriolic garbage that is directed at SMU on this forum.  I'm married to a UNT alum and thankfully the UNT alumni I know aren't as perpetually obsessed with SMU like some of the crazies on here. Granted I don't come here often but good grief.

And guys, we (SMU) aren't going anywhere but up at the moment.  Right now we have the #44 recruiting class for 2016 with 8 of our 11 commitments holding Power 5 conference offers.  We are breaking ground of a $50M indoor practice facility in December.  We have the highest paid G5 head coach in the country in Chad Morris who is making $2.25M/year.. We have a Hall of Fame basketball coach who also makes over $2M a season. We play in a conference that yields nearly three times the TV revenue of C-USA and a basketball conference that grants us exposure with strong programs like UCONN, Memphis, Cincinnati, Temple, Tulsa, etc.  We raised more money through the Mustang Club this past year than in any previous year and double the amount of 2011 (Raised roughly $14M through donations).  SMU is wrapping up a $1 billion dollar fundraising campaign that will ensure it continues moving up in the US News & World Report rankings into the Top 50.  The average SAT of the incoming class at SMU is 1315.  Second only in the state to Rice.  Honestly, there hasn't been a better time to be associated with SMU academically or athletically in the past 30 years.  Yeah that isn't saying a ton as it has mostly been dreadful on the athletic side, but there is no question which way the winds are blowing.

Why the need to throw out hyperbole and insults?  

Edited by SMU2006
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 4

Why so salty?

I really don't understand some of the vitriolic garbage that is directed at SMU on this forum.  I'm married to a UNT alum and thankfully the UNT alumni I know aren't as perpetually obsessed with SMU like some of the crazies on here. Granted I don't come here often but good grief.

And guys, we (SMU) aren't going anywhere but up at the moment.  Right now we have the #44 recruiting class for 2016 with 8 of our 11 commitments holding Power 5 conference offers.  We are breaking ground of a $50M indoor practice facility in December.  We have the highest paid G5 head coach in the country in Chad Morris who is making $2.25M/year.. We have a Hall of Fame basketball coach who also makes over $2M a season. We play in a conference that yields nearly three times the TV revenue of C-USA and a basketball conference that grants us exposure with strong programs like UCONN, Memphis, Cincinnati, Temple, Tulsa, etc.  We raised more money through the Mustang Club this past year than in any previous year and double the amount of 2011 (Raised roughly $14M through donations).  SMU is wrapping up a $1 billion dollar fundraising campaign that will ensure it continues moving up in the US News & World Report rankings into the Top 50.  The average SAT of the incoming class at SMU is 1315.  Second only in the state to Rice.  Honestly, there hasn't been a better time to be associated with SMU academically or athletically in the past 30 years.  Yeah that isn't saying a ton as it has mostly been dreadful on the athletic side, but there is no question which way the winds are blowing.

I think you answered your own question.  

• Upvote 5

Who cares what SMU does or does not do?  Just play us and it's all good.  I have no problem with SMU being Dallas' school.  They pretty much are made for each other.  I hope SMU does well as they are local...just not against UNT. We will see the SMU folks in Dallas this fall.  And, we will enjoy another win against the Ponies when the day is done.

no need to bash the ponies.  They do enough of that themselves.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

I doubt SMU will be invited to join a power conference, but agree that their athletic program and fundraising is light years ahead of ours. Besides, it takes 2 schools to make a rivalry,and I only see North Texas interested. To say otherwise reminds me of U. Conns recent announcement that they have created one complete with trophy with UCF without asking them if they are" all in." Since this was the 1st that they had heard of it, they declined.Personally, I would like to see UNT's athletic program mirrow ULL.They have had more success with limited resources than any program I am aware of.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

Why so salty?

The highest paid G5 coach got you what the last few years?  Your basketball team is about to be put on probation.  Brett Shipp,from the Dallas media uncovered a grading scandal and was told to be quiet, but now the NCAA is sniffing around. SMU wastes more money than any university around in relatikn to their return on investment, and 5Aa and 6A high schools draw bigger crowds than SMU.  Morris will be gone in 4 years searching for greener pastures.

• Upvote 2

Hahahahaha.

Congrats, UNT, you were fortunate enough to whip us last year after our $2M/year coach quit on us. We just replaced him with a significantly better, more expensive coach and we pay our basketball coach $2.5M+ a year as well. I'm 26 and I'll have grandchildren before you guys ever pay a coach that much money.  

Yea, we scheduled Arkansas State home and home. "untjim1995" seems to think "this shows how low on the totem pole SMU really is," but if we were to use his brilliant logic, where does that put Texas Tech (just scheduled UTEP home and home), Kentucky (just scheduled Southern Miss home and home), and Mississippi State (just scheduled a three game series with UMass)? Hey Jim, please let me know when was the last time UNT hosted a P5 conference opponent?

I also love the shot at our basketball program about to be on "probation." God, I wish I could trade our basketball program about to lose one scholarship for yours with Tony Benford having no winning seasons and no postseason berths. That sounds exciting!

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 4

​So we can agree that you are behind us?  Thank you. 

​Football was behind. No one disputes that.

The highest paid G5 coach got you what the last few years?  Your basketball team is about to be put on probation.  Brett Shipp,from the Dallas media uncovered a grading scandal and was told to be quiet, but now the NCAA is sniffing around. SMU wastes more money than any university around in relatikn to their return on investment, and 5Aa and 6A high schools draw bigger crowds than SMU.  Morris will be gone in 4 years searching for greener pastures.

​Thanks for reminding me that a Notice of Allegations automatically means Probation and Death Penalty. That's how the system works and I must have forgotten. Thank you for your insight. /s

Brett Shipp woke up with his dog's head under his covers for trying to link SMU to how crappy Dallas public schools are. After it turned out there was zero proof of SMU being involved the story changed faster than it took Larry Brown to order a hit. #GodFather

By the way, TCU, SMU's mutual rival, had an understanding between ADs that the iron skillet (real rivalries have trophies) will continue indefinitely. We are only a call away from getting a home and home with any P5 opponent we want. We have Baylor coming home a year after TCU and A&M and a year after Tech. Those are SMU's peers and the teams that will come play at Ford whenever we call em. Hell, we pay Tech to come play in Dallas!

Based on fan support, those are like home games for each of those teams plus they get a trip to Dallas to recruit in your back yard.  Dallas cares nothing about SMU, a cooking utensil is not a trophy, and once again you prove that SMU wastes more money than any other school.  You ROI does not reflect well on your business school.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

You are not at SMU level and never will. SMU athletics as a whole will pass you and leave you behind after this years game. Why does UNT think SMU is it's peer? They never have and never will. Especially when SMU rejoins a power conference in a few years.

​Shut up, Spalding.  You'll get nothing and like it.