GMG.com Places to eat and drink in Denton -- 2013 version

Harry

We typically have a thread about this at this slow time of the year. I thought I would get it started and honestly look forward to seeing some of the places I haven't been to yet. With the revitalization of downtown Denton and Fry Street I thought this might be a good time to

I have a new addition in my "Drink" entry this year. I have to stick by my food entry because well, it's just a tradition of mine.

Food: Gotta stick with the one, the only New York Sub Hub

489_555.JPG

I know -- it's not fancy it's not expensive and they don't wait tables. But after a hot day taking in a practice or perhaps when in a rush before the game I have frequented this place at least 100 times and it is always cold, offering fresh sandwiches (I always do the boiled ham and cheese on white), plenty of cold sides and the Dr. Pepper tastes really good on the crushed ice! Plenty of North Texas gear to be found although there is a lot from other teams as well. There's something about being able to go to a place where you sat as a student and enjoy pretty much the exact same thing that hasn't changed.

DRINK:

Oak-St-Drafthouse-300x225.jpg

A new addition for me and I haven't been there a lot but I joined with a good group of Mean Green fans one night and it has stuck on me like glue. Oak Street is basically an old Denton house near the square that they turned into a brewspot. Maybe it was the fact it was such a nice evening, cool outside but we took a spot on the front porch and enjoyed a sampling of their over 70 different types of beers on tap. Great ambiance! The owner is a GoMeanGreen.com lurker so that doesn't hurt either.

I have some others but I don't want to take up too much space. Let's hear what you guys and gals can bring to the table! GMG!

Eat:

Taco Lady.

Kid and I enjoy Burguesa, although I realize it's not for everybody.

Casa Galaviz.

El Chaparral Grill

Drink:

I rarely drink in Denton because of driving, but I've been known to quaff a few on lazy afternoons in II Charlies and really enjoyed the bartender banter.

I've always enjoyed Cool Beans except that even as a guy who enjoys cigarettes while drinking, it must be the smokiest place on earth.

• Upvote 2

Hmm... alright.

Breakfast:

1B3nC.St.117.jpg

Lunch:

veggie.jpg.728x520_q85.jpg

-or-

frontpic1.jpg1364312050.jpg

This exact spot at Mellow Mushroom for their recent addition of a 3-6 Happy Hour, where I load up on half-priced wings and beer.

Dinner:

the-abbey-inn-restaurant-pub-denton-tx.j

Drinks:

Where I start my night::

Oak%20St%20Draft%20house.jpg

Where I finish it::

twitter_pic.jpg

And really, this town is going through a bit of a restaurant renaissance, save for the abomination of a Subway that will open soon on the Square. Damn them and their inappropriate encroachment of our hollowed ground retail space.

• Upvote 3

Skipping those already posted:

Tacos- Tortilleria La Sabrocita

KoOenTdtpW4SHV-640m.jpg

Breakfast/American- Cartwright's Ranch House

Catfish- Sweetwater

Mexican-El Matador

Asian- Siam Off The Square

Italian- Bagheri's

Sandwich- I'm not sure why... but I've always loved Lenny's

I don't really have a bar preference... I'll drink anywhere.

I've lived in Denton for almost 12 years and never once eaten at New York Sub Hub

Edited by Green P1
  • Upvote 1

Anyone tried the new Bosses Pizza and Wings place that used to be Miguelitos?

I used to frequent the one in Lake Worth. They have an excellent weekday buffet and salad bar. I like the pizza, it has like a galic butter on the crust.

• Upvote 2

Is there anything unique about them or are they just good? I've probably never met a nacho I didn't like BTW.

They do have a ghost pepper burger or something to that degree. Shared half of one with a buddy. I think they call it a hell burger. it's hot. well beyond: "Oh this is super hot but it tastes so good." It is offensively, "Well you just took the fun right out of this", hot. I just wasted money hot. They should tell you it's not really food, it's a dare, hot.

They do make you sign a waiver but the marketer in me just thought - oh yeah, waiver, build up anticipation, hype it etc. But no, it really is licking Satan's taint hot.

You should try it.

• Upvote 5

I am a huge NY Subway fan. Get the #7. For breakfast the Old West is the best. For Mexican, since Miguelito's is gone, I have to go with the Mazatlan, great chicken enchiladas and free queso at lunch. For dinner, it is hard to top Hannah's. For drinks, I like Sweetwater. The top shelf margarita will do you right for $5. I am interested in the Oak Street Drafthouse though, that will be the next place to check out.

• Upvote 1

For Mexican, don't forget El Guapos. Great Margaritas!

I'm going into Dallas for BBQ on Fathers Day (Pecan Lodge). Any other suggestions?

There's a BBQ joint in Bishop's Arts Oak Cliff - Lockharts. Probably the best brisket I've had in Dallas. They will also serve you the burnt ends of their briskets which makes for some seriously smokey meat sweats.

• Upvote 1