DT vs. Berglund

H-towngreen

DT will be the starter next year. That is nearly 100% certain. The only 3 possible scenarios where he does not are these:

1) DT transfers elsewhere to start working on his masters while in his last year of eligibility.

2) DT is hurt badly either this season (giving rise to another starting QB), or during camp next year.

3) DT absolutely sucks the rest of this year and gets benched.

Other than those, there is virtually no chance we see anyone else starting next year. He will be a 5th year senior with 2 full seasons as a starting QB under his belt. I don't care if we have the top QB prospect in the country coming in. You go with the veteran with experience, especially in a situation where our caliber of opponents will be increasing dramatically with the conference switch. Berglund will be starting in 2014 probably, unless someone beats him out in the open competition for the job once DT is gone.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 9

DT will be the starter next year. That is nearly 100% certain. The only 3 possible scenarios where he does not are these:

1) DT transfers elsewhere to start working on his masters while in his last year of eligibility.

2) DT is hurt badly either this season (giving rise to another starting QB), or during camp next year.

Other than those, there is virtually no chance we see anyone else starting next year. He will be a 5th year senior with 2 full seasons as a starting QB under his belt. I don't care if we have the top QB prospect in the country coming in. You go with the veteran with experience, especially in a situation where our caliber of opponents will be increasing dramatically with the conference switch. Berglund will be starting in 2014 probably, unless someone beats him out in the open competition for the job once DT is gone.

Here are DT's numbers so far this year:

Att-Comp-Yds-Int-TD

LSU 21-9-143-1-2

TSU 24-11-145-1-0

KSU 28-25-213-0-1

Troy 29-12-236-0-1

FAU 30-18-251-1-2

Coog 38-20-252-2-0

ULL has shown that their pass defense is a little more porous than their run defense. DT could do us all a huge favor and break out a 275yd 2 or 3 TD performance to help push this kind of talk off until at least the Spring.

Disagree on nearly every point.

• Upvote 7

I mostly agree. Too much has to happen between now and then, and anyone hanging their hopes on Berglund at this point is wishcasting. I DO think that it will be an open competition Thompson next year, because that's what I believe good coaches do. I believe they had one this year, and Thompson, as he did last year, proved better than the other options (which I've stated tells you all you need to know about them).

Berglund's reported skillset should make him the best competition next year for Thompson. And the fact that he's not an incoming freshman increases the urgency to get him on the field. I personally like how our QB situation is going to be set up next year. You'll have an experienced senior in Thompson, a highly touted, highly recruited athletic QB in Berglund (with some years to play), and an outstanding freshman (knock on wood). IF (and that's a big if) things go as hoped, we'll have the kind of depth and skill at the QB position that's been needed for years.

But at this point, I can't:

a ) Root against our current starting QB, as doing so would be wishing failure upon a season that's currently still under way (and winnable)

and

b ) Pin my hopes on a guy who hasn't played meaningful football in years

If a) happens and we continue to lose, then I'll have no choice but to start looking towards b ). But until that time, I'll continue to root for the Mean Green that's on the field.

• Upvote 2

Honest question but how many schools do you think would be lining up for DT as a one year rental. I don't think there are many teams out there thinking "we have a really good team coming back next season but Derek Thompson would really put us over the top"

• Upvote 1

Thanks for stopping by Derek.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Practice reports tell you nothing at all. Remember all the reports about Cam throwing everyone around and wrecking in the circle drill?

How about the kid from OU at WR?

Here's the difference between the two:

(1) Thompson has taken some snaps against real college competition

(2) Berglund has not...for years.

I like Thompson. With his experience, I bet he's a better shot at keeping the job than Berglund. Also, Berglund appears to be a kid where you can't count the chickens before the eggs hatch. He's been here, he's been there. Thompson has stuck it out through thin and thin here. I think he's the one to take us into the thick.

This

I mostly agree. Too much has to happen between now and then, and anyone hanging their hopes on Berglund at this point is wishcasting. I DO think that it will be an open competition Thompson next year, because that's what I believe good coaches do. I believe they had one this year, and Thompson, as he did last year, proved better than the other options (which I've stated tells you all you need to know about them).

Berglund's reported skillset should make him the best competition next year for Thompson. And the fact that he's not an incoming freshman increases the urgency to get him on the field. I personally like how our QB situation is going to be set up next year. You'll have an experienced senior in Thompson, a highly touted, highly recruited athletic QB in Berglund (with some years to play), and an outstanding freshman (knock on wood). IF (and that's a big if) things go as hoped, we'll have the kind of depth and skill at the QB position that's been needed for years.

But at this point, I can't:

a ) Root against our current starting QB, as doing so would be wishing failure upon a season that's currently still under way (and winnable)

and

b ) Pin my hopes on a guy who hasn't played meaningful football in years

If a) happens and we continue to lose, then I'll have no choice but to start looking towards b ). But until that time, I'll continue to root for the Mean Green that's on the field.

Good post. If this happens, do you think McNulty will be moved to WR or the secondary? I'm not sure but I thought he played another position in HS before moving to QB.

While it's true that a good QB can make good skill players look great, it's also true that good skill players make a QB look better. I think DT isn't helped much by our current cast of skill players, but because the QB gets most of the attention on a football team, the fan base and message boards are dog piling him.

Wait until ULL saunters into town next week and you guys get a close up look at how our WRs/TEs/RBs compare.

While it's true that a good QB can make good skill players look great, it's also true that good skill players make a QB look better. I think DT isn't helped much by our current cast of skill players, but because the QB gets most of the attention on a football team, the fan base and message boards are dog piling him.

Wait until ULL saunters into town next week and you guys get a close up look at how our WRs/TEs/RBs compare.

It is obviously a combination of factors. DT would certainly look better with a better receiving corps, but he still has a problem with overthrows. The second can, theoretically, be fixed this year. The first means that we need to recruit some top notch receivers this winter.

It is obviously a combination of factors. DT would certainly look better with a better receiving corps, but he still has a problem with overthrows. The second can, theoretically, be fixed this year. The first means that we need to recruit some top notch receivers this winter.

Well, then we better recruit a bunch of them like this..

Dude you are entitled to your opinion but you're totally out of line on No.2. ANYTIME you call for player to be hurt you ought to be taken out on the practice field and let the team have at you.

Yea I know that parents should not comment; that we are helicopter parents, ect. but this kind of trash disgust me as it should ANY poster on this board.

It's one thing to to comment about a players performance, good or bad. It is totally asinine to wish harm on someone. If you have problems with that I am not hard to find.

I don't think he's saying he hopes any of these scenarios happen, I think he's just saying HOW any other QB would start next year other than Derek.

• Upvote 6

I have attended every game that Derek Thompson has played in his North Texas career except for watching two road games this season on TV.....we all know Coach Mac prides himself in winning the turnover battle and our QB not getting sacked which obviously can limit the chances Derek takes or the plays he can make....I have seen too many good games from Derek to not feel confident in him for the rest of the season and next year.

• Upvote 3

Good post. If this happens, do you think McNulty will be moved to WR or the secondary? I'm not sure but I thought he played another position in HS before moving to QB.

McNulty is still sort of a darkhorse, IMO. I think he'd still provide depth and competition. At the very least, insurance so you can redshirt the freshman.

• Upvote 1

This may be true for a few but I believe that the majority are not condemning DT but rather feel that Berglund has more tools for success.

Derek's strengths are that he is mechanically sound, throws quick short to medium passes well and does not turn the ball over often. He is far from the worst quarterback that we've had. His apparent weaknesses are overthrowing long passes and inability to pick up open receivers. He also lacks deception. He is the 4th/5th best quarterback in the Sun Belt Conference. this is his ranking within the following categories: pass attempts - 4th; completions - 5th; completion percentage (10 or more passes) - 12th; total yards - 4th; yards per attempt - 5th; touchdowns - 5th; interceptions - 2nd; quarterback rating - 6th; and yards per game - 4th.

Berglund was much higher-rated coming out of high school. Rivals ranked him the 15th best quarterback in 2011 and Phil Steele has him at #28 with his system. Suffice it to say, the scouts thought well of him. I'm certainly not qualified to say who is better but he appears to have a tremendous upside. All that I'm saying is give Berglund a fair and honest chance and put the best quarterback on the field. I believe that will happen.

Edited by GrayEagle
  • Upvote 2

I really hope DT plays well this week and for the rest of his UNT career. I will be at every game cheering my butt off for him, but I honestly don't see us reaching a bowl game with him and that is just my opinion. He just hasn't progressed enough, if any at all, to make me feel like the future is bright with him under center. Like someone said, the team surrounding him doesn't make him look any better but that's what we have and what we will have for the next two years while he is here.

I'm not saying Berglund is a sure-fire player by any means, but the tools he has are legitimate and I could conceivably see him being the best qb we've had in a while. I haven't seen any practices but what I've heard about the plays he has made and watching film on him, the kid is a football player. He is tall, fast, accurate, very instinctive, has a strong arm, and has been a winner (take the Colorado State Championships for what you will).

We'll see what happens over time, but I suggest we just cheer for DT whether we like him or not and hope for the best with the rest of the season.

After carefully reading every post in this thread - I'm heartily glad it's NT's coaching staff that makes personnel decisions, not NT's fans.

Truer words have never been spoken! +1 for you, Sir!

• Upvote 1

I have attended every game that Derek Thompson has played in his North Texas career except for watching two road games this season on TV.....we all know Coach Mac prides himself in winning the turnover battle and our QB not getting sacked which obviously can limit the chances Derek takes or the plays he can make....I have seen too many good games from Derek to not feel confident in him for the rest of the season and next year.

This...true!

Interesting this topic came up. I went back and watched this video of Burglund again 3 days ago. If we can get this Burglund, he has to be the favorite. We need a more mobile guy that can pull the ball down and get you about a 6 yard run; to keep a drive going. With less time on the field, the defense plays much better as well.

Videos like this get me real excited for next year. I just hope that DT can pick it up this year.

Edited by North Texas Shep