DT vs. Berglund

H-towngreen

I think DT should be thanking Jim Jim. 2 catches off of screens for 106 yds.

Heck you take out all the dump offs and screens to RBs and DT was 12 of 23 for 160 yds passing to tight ends and wrs.

Yeah, lets take away the dump offs, but conveniently forget the perfectly thrown bomb to Brelan that was dropped. Screens are part of the game. You obviously have an agenda, but you don't get to use it tonight. Sorry.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Really? Add in Chancellor's drop on a perfect deep ball and you are right back uo there. Yes, Jimmerson was great with YAC, but it is a two way street and a team game.

True ... it's not a strong argument on my part. However, adding that in still only leaves him with average stats. He was horrible in the first half and ok in the second. What most people are saying is that DT is a streaky, average quarterback. He threw those two very nice deep passes (one dropped) but then he over threw two open receivers in endzone (one was horribly over thrown). He's a mid level Sun Belt quarterback at his best.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

It's not like the kid put the team on his shoulders and was making unbelievable throws all over the place, be he never really has. We have given him so much grief for other performances, he at least deserves a little credit here (as does the whole team). There are a lot of QBs out there in spread offenses that pad their stats by throwing tons of bubble screens and little dump off passes that we shower with praise because the pass for 300+ yards.

We are not about to put him in the HOF (but he did just move up two more spots to #7 all time), but he had a solid performance.

• Upvote 1

I'm just saying its not like DT carried the team tonight. He was once again the second best QB on the field. I have no problem with the screens, it's about time we actually start using them. DT was missing open receivers all night long, even several of his competitions were only competitions bc of great plays by the wrs.

He stayed within his capabilities last night. Handed the ball off, hit some short yard throws, and most importantly didn't turn it over.

• Upvote 6

Some interesting stuff here to say the least. DT led this team to the win last night. He played a solid game, and the team seemed to really feel the momentum created in the third quarter. In the stands it seemed that we could just tell that the win was happening...DT was a big big part of this win. The guy played a good game...did what he needed to do to help his team win. We should all be enjoying this win and thanking DT for leading this team to that win....and all the players..it's a team sport. DT did his part.

For me, I am saying thanks DT for your leadership and thanks for a GREAT Win on A national stage. Plenty of pressure on this team last night, and they did not crumble. Getting this comeback win when the team seemed to need it the most may well be a turning point for the rest of the season...and a good one! Thanks DT and thanks to every member of that team for not "giving up" when down 20-6 in the third. Showed heart, character and determination. WELL DONE ONE & ALL!

• Upvote 1

DT WAS the better QB on the field last night... how many of ULL's completions were on bubble screens? how did there QB do under pressure later in the game when his team was down? who was making bad overthrows to WR's when it counted last night?

one of the biggest plays last night was DT's completion to Delgado while getting drilled to pick up a first down on 3rd and 11... give me DT every day over the QB who looks better on the stat sheet but still has a loss in the important column

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Take away his two dump offs that Jimmerson turned into big plays and his numbers aren't so good.

Every dump off and screen pass came off a play action fake that DT sold so well that the camera man lost the ball and twice the first man through nearly broke ankles trying to recover.It looks totally different from a linebacker's perspective.

DT is doing exactly what he's being asked to do, feed the ball, manage the game and not turn the ball over.

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick
  • Upvote 1

DT WAS the better QB on the field last night... how many of ULL's completions were on bubble screens? how did there QB do under pressure later in the game when his team was down? who was making bad overthrows to WR's when it counted last night?

one of the biggest plays last night was DT's completion to Delgado while getting drilled to pick up a first down on 3rd and 11...

That was a hell of a gut check play that comes with maturity and leadership. May have been his best moment of the night? Few people will stand in front of a truck long enough to deliver a strike before taking it in the ribs like that.

Rick

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I think DT should be thanking Jim Jim. 2 catches off of screens for 106 yds.

Heck you take out all the dump offs and screens to RBs and DT was 12 of 23 for 160 yds passing to tight ends and wrs.

And if you take away the 30 points UNT scored tonight, they lose 23-0.

Same logic.

Edited by UNT90

Derek wasn't missing the easy passes tonight. We'd probably have won against Troy if he wouldn't have launched the ball over everyone's head that game. Tonight, even on the playaction, he was putting the ball in the basket even on the long throws with the exception of a few and that's all we need him to do.

Thompson missed sure TDs to Bynes and Smith...he forced some passes that probably should've been picked...Delgado's Gumby-esque body and one-handed catch bailed DT out at least twice. He was putting the ball in the basket's vicinity...he wasn't terribly sharp, though.

That said, receivers are meant to make plays and DT managed the game very well. If he Dilfer's our way to a bowl game I'm elated.

• Upvote 2

DT did a nice job on his play fakes last night and delivered on some of the short throws nicely. He did a good job of hanging in there on the screens. I think he's a good game manager who makes some of the throws he should and at other times he couldn't hit water if he fell out of a boat (Bynes on the post route in the endzone, Darnell Smith in the endzone). These are throws that most competent FBS QB's make if you sit down and watch them on Saturdays. If he can improve on completing some of the intermediate throws that he should make then we will be fine offensively because we can keep a defense honest.

That being said, and I know this will lead to some criticism. Having watched Brock warm up with the QB's now at the 3 home games he can really spin the ball and certainly looks the part. It comes VERY easy for him and I can't wait to see that competition next spring. Not to mention a QB threat running the ball (we saw from Broadway last night) is an effective weapon to have in the arsenal. Brock is an intriguing player and will be fun to watch develop.

I don't care who our QB is as long as we win ballgames

• Upvote 1

DT has all the tools. He is decently mobile, is tough, a leader, and can make all the throws for a Sun Belt squad. I have no problems with him in this regard.

I, like most, have a problem with his streakiness. He starts throwing high and locks in on receivers. He is leaving yards and points on the field. Apparently, McNulty and Osborne don't do the basics right or at least not as well. I trust Mike C and Danny Mac on this. It is no less frustrating to see balls sail high in the redzone.

That said he played well. I don't know about saying "DT threw the game winning score" over saying "Jim Jim took a screen that could have gotten 7-10 yards to the house." It isn't just spin.

When DT is making plays and not just caretaking we can give him his due praise. Right now we say "good job doing a slightly above average job"

• Downvote 1

I, like most, have a problem with his streakiness. He starts throwing high and locks in on receivers. He is leaving yards and points on the field. Apparently, McNulty and Osborne don't do the basics right or at least not as well. I trust Mike C and Danny Mac on this. It is no less frustrating to see balls sail high in the redzone.

I think his streakiness has to do with his poor footwork. He often throws off his back foot when there's no need to. Even when he's trying to step into his throws he seems to have a little hitch in his footwork. I haven't quite figured out what he's doing. Even when he's trying to step into a throw he doesn't really step into it. He seems to sling the ball more than throw it. Like a baseball hitter with a unique stance, it's something the coaches have talked to him about but it's probably too ingrained to change at this point.

DT has all the tools. He is decently mobile, is tough, a leader, and can make all the throws for a Sun Belt squad. I have no problems with him in this regard.

That said he played well. I don't know about saying "DT threw the game winning score" over saying "Jim Jim took a screen that could have gotten 7-10 yards to the house." It isn't just spin.

When DT is making plays and not just caretaking we can give him his due praise. Right now we say "good job doing a slightly above average job"

Strongly agree with most of this except this first part. I think he can make some of the throws for a middle of the pack Sun Belt squad.

Edited by H-towngreen

Strongly agree with most of this except this first part. I think he can make some of the throws for a middle of the pack Sun Belt squad.

I think his streakiness has to do with his poor footwork. He often throws off his back foot when there's no need to. Even when he's trying to step into his throws he seems to have a little hitch in his footwork. I haven't quite figured out what he's doing. Even when he's trying to step into a throw he doesn't really step into it. He seems to sling the ball more than throw it. Like a baseball hitter with a unique stance, it's something the coaches have talked to him about but it's probably too ingrained to change at this point.

Noticed that too. Those kinds of things are hard to fix. Hopefully you get a guy that has bad technique but great results. When you try to fix form this late in the game the QB starts thinking too much and that opens all kinds of other problems.

Other than form I think he makes decisions too slowly. Like that zone read -- I really do think it is a read and he kept when he should have handed it off. Canales usually has had some of that in his offense, and DT is relatively mobile. I don't think he trusts him to make the right choice. And if you dictate the read/hold calls from the sideline . . .well you might as well just turn and hand it off (what they've been doing).

one of the biggest plays last night was DT's completion to Delgado while getting drilled to pick up a first down on 3rd and 11... give me DT every day over the QB who looks better on the stat sheet but still has a loss in the important column

While DT did play good last night, I don't think he would have done as well if he would have been getting smacked around every time he threw the ball like Broadway was, but DT had all day throw which was great. Our defense line was getting great pressure on Broadway, although sometimes it worked to his advantage with his scrambling ability. Pretty cool to see us get consistent pressure with a four man rush.

Edited by BillySee58

While DT did play good last night, I don't think he would have done as well if he would have been getting smacked around every time he threw the ball like Broadway was, but DT had all day throw which was great. Our defense line was getting great pressure on Broadway, although sometimes it worked to his advantage with his scrambling ability. Pretty cool to see us get consistent pressure with a four man rush.

One problem that I have with DT is failing to spot open receivers. Twice last night Power was open just short of the end zone with the nearest defender some five yards away and he threw into coverage. There have been numerous open receivers over the season that wouldn't have required his airing it out.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

Will Berglund even make it to campus? The guy has quite a checkered past and until he sets foot on the campus and practicing, I don't think you can say that he's a sure thing. He's definitely a risk worth taking though when you consider the alternatives and the fact that McCarney hasn't been able to find a QB who can be consistent and that is what ultimately is holding the offense back.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

Will Berglund even make it to campus? The guy has quite a checkered past and until he sets foot on the campus and practicing, I don't think you can say that he's a sure thing. He's definitely a risk worth taking though when you consider the alternatives and the fact that McCarney hasn't been able to find a QB who can be consistent and that is what ultimately is holding the offense back.

He has been on the sideline the last two home games. #4 without a name on the back.

• Upvote 2

Call me crazy, but until I see Berglund get the start in game 1 of next season, I don't see Mac starting him over DT.

Canales is extremely limited with what he can do offensively thanks to DT and his inabilities. If they don't like what they've seen from Berglund in practice thus far expect to see a JUCO because I don't think there is anyway DT starts next season.