MBB, who is still on the team?

Hard to follow, but I assume right now, and probably not for long;  NT is expected these players to return

Buggs

Cotton

Walker

Sissoko

Noland

Stone

With two high schoolers signed, that leaves 5 ships

Assuming Hodge doesn't bolt too, I hope his juco connections work again.  

Edited by GrandGreen
  • Upvote 6

7 hours ago, CMJ said:

As I said a couple of weeks ago, having a former coach from the JUCO ranks should help us navigate this current environment well.  Not sure if that ever entered into the hire at all, but JUCO coaches constantly have to rework their rosters since kids never stay longer than a couple of years, and sometimes not even that long.

We should always reload with JUCO players or Portal transfers over HS players.   They are already acclimated to the college game and usually older and more mature.  HS players are too much risk vs reward moving to DI.  

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

Looks like opportunity to me. We have Cotton, who was great in HS, and two very prolific HS players coming in. High Majors have freshmen come in and contribute immediately. Why can't we? Bring in some experienced transfers to show the young guys how to be college athletes and this team can still be great. This past year's team fell short of their potential, IMO. I'm glad we're getting a fresh team next year. Let's see what the next generation of Mean Green Basketball can do.

Edited by GMG_Dallas
  • Upvote 4

36 minutes ago, GMG_Dallas said:

Looks like opportunity to me. We have Cotton, who was great in HS, and two very prolific HS players coming in. High Majors have freshmen come in and contribute immediately. Why can't we? Bring in some experienced transfers to show the young guys how to be college athletes and this team can still be great. This past year's team fell short of their potential, IMO. I'm glad we're getting a fresh team next year. Let's see what the next generation of Mean Green Basketball can do.

That is sort of where I am as well!  Love Rubin and Aaron and Jason but, let's be honest, this was a one win NIT squad that struggled to get to 500 in conference play.  We should set our sights higher!  First thing we have to do is get a decent big that can score.  I know that is easier said than done and yes we may have to take a chance but why not scour the juco ranks for hidden gems?  Tell CJ we will build this thing around him and Cotton and build it out.  If Buggs can stay as well it would be nice.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, GMG_Dallas said:

Looks like opportunity to me. We have Cotton, who was great in HS, and two very prolific HS players coming in. 

Stone was great in high school.   Portal and JUCO players have already shown their ability at the college level

• Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1

I'd almost rather bring in kids from lower D1, D2 and JC schools that are excited to be at North Texas. Remember the passion that Javion, Tyler and Kia played with when they got here. You could tell they loved being at UNT. I saw the same thing from Buggs this year. I know that can change from year to year and I'm not saying don't try for the best players but get people that WANT to be here. 

• Upvote 2

21 minutes ago, NT80 said:

Stone was great in high school.   Portal and JUCO players have already shown their ability at the college level

Stone is one player. Your top programs in the country are mostly built around exceptional HS recruiting and they add in a couple veteran players to fill major areas of need. We have got to stop looking at one player not working out how we want and throwing away that entire avenue for recruiting. Terrible take.

7 minutes ago, DeepGreen said:

I wish people on this board would stop being so condescending towards Stone.  He wears the colors of UNT, thus he does not deserve to be bashed on this board daily.  Please, have some respect for our all of our players.

I agree.  That kid busts in ass for us.  I hope he finds his shooting stroke in the off season.

• Upvote 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Downvote 1

This just sucks, it will be this way forever now.  We are the farm system for the rich guys.  Maybe the team that picks up the player should pay for the education and expenses at the old school .

everyone else is making money why not the farm system.

Edited by southsideguy
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, southsideguy said:

This just sucks, it will be this way forever now.  We are the farm system for the rich guys.  Maybe the team that picks up the player should pay for the education and expenses at the old school .

everyone else is making money why not the farm system.

I get the sentiment, but this really isn’t true.  Players transfer in all different directions and for many different reasons.  We have a player from OU and a player from Ole Miss, should we be paying them?  It’s a messed up system right now, but it’s not a farm system.

• Upvote 1