St. Johns (11/16/23) - Charleston Classic

greenminer

Also…no way is that on Buggs for not hitting the floor on Ruben’s loose handle. Buggs had already started back in defense when Jones hit the floor and then was stuck in no man’s land on the recovery…maybe he took the conservative option in getting back on defense first, but it’s definitely not down to a lack of hustle

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 3

11 minutes ago, Ross Hodgeson said:

I like the effort but make no mistake, Tylor  would have put that game on ice at the end.  Not having him is tough,

I have thought about this, but IMO the current team is better equipped to not need a clutch shot as much, and with more options whenever the situation comes again.  We seem more balanced.  @Censored by Laurie is probably right about the current state of things, but I like to think that we have 2-3 guys that will emerge and take that role.  Better than just one (TP)

Edited by greenminer
  • Upvote 1

38 minutes ago, greenminer said:

I might be nuts, but I;m hoping for a S16 appearance before Hodge is done.

But it's not reasonable to expect us to comfortably win versus a solid BE (T25?) team right now.  That's not where we are.

My overall goal coming into this season was to see a top 25 appearance... Still possible but this loss will definitely leave no room for error

• Haha 1
  • Eye Roll 4

1 minute ago, rojomojo said:

My overall goal coming into this season was to see a top 25 appearance... Still possible but this loss will definitely leave no room for error

What? Plenty of time and some quality opponents to do that.

Today is just a continuation of the timeless CBB cliche: every season you're going to lose ~3 games you should have won, and win ~3 games you should have lost.

...and, by extension of that cliche, stop reading too much into an early season, single game.

• Upvote 5

Was looking at the box score and found it interesting. Both teams hit exactly 18 field goals and exactly 6 threes. The difference is they hit an extra fres throw. I don't look at every box score so I don't know how common that is. Feels like usually one team may hit more 3s to make-up for a lack of interior/midrange scoring or vice versa but that wasn't the case here. In addition, each team had 13 offensive rebounds. We out rebounded them overall and each team had 15 turnovers. The biggest discrepancies were that they had 8 blocks to our 2 and we had 3 more fouls resulting in 6 more attempted free throws. Otherwise, two evenly matched teams.

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, outoftown said:

Hate to say it, because I know he can be awesome, and he definitely was the discovery of the second half of last season...but Sissoko was not good this game. May have to do with the competition, but still this was far from his best.

Sissoko needs to contribute, even if 5-10 pts, he is athletic enough to do it, but credit Soriano, he played like a beast

• Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, Ross Hodgeson said:

I like the effort but make no mistake, Tylor  would have put that game on ice at the end.  Not having him is tough,

I think NT would beat SJ easily on a neutral site, this sure was not one.  Losers always talk about refs., but this was atrocious. 

However, this was easily the best game NT has played this year.  Small sample, but this team is getting better.

Lot of missed easy shots plus a poor start spelled a loss. 

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, rojomojo said:

You're right... It just gets so frustrating feeling like we have a strict limit in how much of our potential we can achieve.  

There isn't a limit.  For one, I am tired of you taking shots at our program, academics, etc...  You are an ass-whipping.  We can hold our own academically and there is zero reason this program can't continue to build on its recent successes.  Funny how you disappeared during the second half comeback only to show back up when we fall by one.

• Upvote 6

37 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

There isn't a limit.  For one, I am tired of you taking shots at our program, academics, etc...  You are an ass-whipping.  We can hold our own academically and there is zero reason this program can't continue to build on its recent successes.  Funny how you disappeared during the second half comeback only to show back up when we fall by one.

Exactly. It’s like this dude didn’t watch last year’s NCAA tournament.  There is definitely some BS happening in football to collude and give big programs all the opportunities, but in basketball everyone has a chance.  

Edited by TIgreen01
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

3 hours ago, Censored by Laurie said:

Also…no way is that on Buggs for not hitting the floor on Ruben’s loose handle. Buggs had already started back in defense when Jones hit the floor and then was stuck in no man’s land on the recovery…maybe he took the conservative option in getting back on defense first, but it’s definitely not down to a lack of hustle

Blame it on what you want, but it was a mistake by Buggs. That ball was his if he goes for it. Instead he back pedals away from the ball and gives SJ an easy possession. 

Edited by UNTcrazy727
  • Upvote 5
  • Puking Eagle 1

26 minutes ago, UNTcrazy727 said:

Blame it on what you want, but it was a mistake by Buggs. That ball was his if he goes for it. Instead he back pedals away from the ball and gives SJ an easy possession. 

I’d love to see the play again…but the initial mistake was by Jones.

If Buggs dives in (which we’ve already seen him do plenty) comes off second best and SJU gets a transition dunk it’s a bigger swing in the game. 

To harp on this play and Buggs feels like scape-goating 

• Upvote 7
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Oh Boy! 1
  • Downvote 2

7 hours ago, Censored by Laurie said:

no one on our roster has been asked to close out a game and it shows.

I thought it during the UNI game…the team didn’t get tired at the end of regulation, it got tight and sloppy in holding on to a lead. Tonight we got right and took a poor shot at 53-52. 

TP and Kai and Javion spoiled us with n clutch moments. The team will grow from this and get better…I love that we leaned on our defense late to fight back, but someone needs to show they’re nails late. 

Expect  a lot with a team that lost 70% of their scoring from last year in their 3rd game playing in a very hostile environment. 

I don't know how good St. John's will be, but they had all the advantages in this game. Plus I doubt few teams NT plays will have a better center than they had.  

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, UNTcrazy727 said:

There were so many poor decisions/mistakes during those last few seconds. Obviously, by Ruben & Buggs. Down by 1, why would Scott pull up, with about 7 seconds remaining, for a contested shot from the top of the key? (he was fouled though) If he'd continued to the bucket there would have been a better chance of being fouled that the refs had to call. Continuing to the bucket would have also pulled Buggs' man away for a kick out open shot from the corner. Oh well, St Johns' decisions were just as bad.

Liked the effort but unfortunately, we don't have a go to guy in the clutch. 

• Upvote 4

Tough loss, but definitely should’ve won if not for the turnovers and poor 1st half.
My thoughts on the game…

-defense was still good. They missed a couple of rotations leading to wide open 3s during scrambles

-offensive sets were not executed well. Dribble handoffs and PnR abruptly stopped. Only quick screens were set, giving defense time to recover it appeared.

-we’re lacking a true pg. Ruben often stopped or got stopped mid drive only to kick it back out to re-set the offense. Edwards looks like a volume shooter. Rarely saw him pass the ball. Lots of turnovers. 

-too much iso ball. Didn’t quite like the last play call to give the ball to Aaron and go one on one, essentially. If only they had off ball screens to get others open for a shot.

-disappointed in the lack of involvement by Buggs. One way or another, they need to get him shots.

-these guys need to look to score/shoot more before swinging the ball. You don’t stress the defense when they know you won’t pull the trigger.

-lastly, despite all the turnovers and lacking  offensive dynamics, we stood up and went toe to toe with a really good bball program. Definitely some growing pains early, but when we gel, we could be just as tough as last year. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Ross Hodgeson said:

I agree.  Buggs need to be more aggressive and take shots.  He is playing very tentatively.

They all have to understand that defensive close outs will come much faster when you’re facing better basketball programs in a better conference. 
I, personally, hope we add to the offensive sets. Most of the motion is up top with the guards and not a lot from the post. Plays should be structured to attack the rim and not passing the ball around

14 hours ago, UNTcrazy727 said:

1 hour ago, Ross Hodgeson said:

I agree.  Buggs need to be more aggressive and take shots.  He is playing very tentatively.

Buggs was my biggest gripe about yesterday too. Due respect to the kid, but as @meanJewGreen put it yesterday, he's playing with that UTSA mentality, which is hot garbage. I trust Hodge will sit him in the film room for a good while watching his plays. Then it's up to him to fix his game.

• Downvote 3