UNT vs. Tulane (10/21/23 Score Predictions)

Big Z

North Texas 34 - Tulane 30

Tulane has had to come from behind by double digit deficits in the past two games against UAB and Memphis. They also allow 249.8 passing yards per game, ranked 100 in college football per the NCAA website, however, they've only allowed 7 passing TDs. Statistically somewhat of a bend don't break defense where their run defense clamping down having allowed only 4 rushing TDs all year. UAB and Memphis both struggled in the second half with Memphis having scored 21 by the 10 minute mark of the 3rd and being shut out the rest of the way and UAB scoring 20 in the first half and 3 in the 2nd half. We'll need to counter whatever second half adjustments Tulane makes because that's where their games have been won.

• Upvote 2
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Haha 1
  • Ray 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 1

1 hour ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

NT beats the worst team in the AAC, playing their backup QB, and now we have people thinking NT is going to get a win against a ranked team on the road.
green-kool-aidman.jpg

Y'all are funny.

If NT comes out swinging, gets on the scoreboard first, and plays with some confidence, it could be something like:
NT-27
Tulane-38

If NT comes out slow, or lets Tulane hit a big play TD early, it could be something like:
NT-14
Tulane-59

I just want to point out Tulane has not scored more than 37 all year and you're predicting a possible 59, granted they played 2 games with their backup QB.

Yes, we just played a backup QB. Yes, that backup QB also took over for an injured Hendon Hooker at Virginia Tech against a Sam Howell led North Carolina to win in overtime a few years back. He's still a D1 QB who's a huge running threat which happens to be a our biggest weakness. He's also a back-up for a reason so you're right we shouldn't get to high and mighty.

In my opinion, we win this game if we get a double digit lead early in the second half like Memphis. At that point, lean on the run game and slow things down. Make Tulane play from behind with the clock on our side. As the season has progressed, it's clear our defense can't handle versatile offenses. One dimensional can be managed somewhat well, though. Get a lead and make them throw to catch up.

Side note, Tulane has lost 7 fumbles this year. The most by any team is 9 (Troy). Both QBs protect the ball pretty well other than Rogers' recent fumbling issue. Rogers hasn't thrown a pick since Cal. Should be a good game.

Edited by GMG_Dallas
  • Upvote 2
  • Eye Roll 2

Unfortunately, I don’t see how our defense can weather the storm. This unit has nothing to lose. I want to see them blitz more. 
I’m really here to see how this offense does against a legitimate defense. We have been able to score, pass and run on teams fairly well. However, they haven’t been the strongest of defenses. Hopefully, the OL will have better communication so as not to repeat that 8 sack performance again. And, I’m hoping for more TE usage to help block. 

4 hours ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

NT beats the worst team in the AAC, playing their backup QB, and now we have people thinking NT is going to get a win against a ranked team on the road.
green-kool-aidman.jpg

Y'all are funny.

If NT comes out swinging, gets on the scoreboard first, and plays with some confidence, it could be something like:
NT-27
Tulane-38

If NT comes out slow, or lets Tulane hit a big play TD early, it could be something like:
NT-14
Tulane-59

Uh Huh Yes GIF by 20th Century Fox Home Entertainment

• Puking Eagle 1

On the road against a ranked team built to take advantage of UNTs primary defensive weakness.

I am afraid the most likely score is something like 20-45.

I will say though, that if UNT can go up two scores early enough, then I can see them potentially pulling the upset, because that forces things a bit better in the defenses direction.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, GMG_Dallas said:

I just want to point out Tulane has not scored more than 37 all year and you're predicting a possible 59, granted they played 2 games with their backup QB.

You know what?   Upon further review, I'd like to take this bit of info you provided and lower the blowout score, because yes, you're right.  Tulane has played 3 other teams with piss-poor defenses like ours (SoAL, SoMiss, & UAB), and could only score 37, 21, & 35.

So, if Tulane quick-strikes us, and takes the wind out of our sails, I'll say 42-17.    I'll stick with my other "competitive" score... just a little too much Tulane.

• Upvote 1
  • Puking Eagle 1