Not sure we can compete anymore

southsideguy

The Utah Utes and a NIL group called The Crimson Collective are presenting all 85 scholarship players a brand new Dodge Ram truck.
Each truck’s retail price is $61,000. Funded by collective donations, the trucks will be leased to each player as part of individual six-month contracts that are expected to roll over contingent on a player’s eligibility and enrollment at the university. Leases end when a player’s eligi…
See more

• Oh Boy! 2
  • Eye Roll 2
  • Downvote 1
  • Puking Eagle 3

And at this rate we never will,  the playing field has become so tilted.  What made college football great in the past there was a semi level playing field.  I mean the players that we might get can get a free car going there or play for free for us.  

If all the big boys do this and I am sure they are 85 scholarship players each will not be alot left over plus they will taking the good players from the smaller conference schools.   The talent gap will grow bigger.  I dont know why the SEC,Big 10, and Big 12 just become the minor leagues for the NFL.   The players wont have to go to class and can just be paid to play for four year. Most take their classes on line now and never step foot on campus.  I sure someone in the Athletic Department is taking the on line classes for them.   It is not about the student athlete it about big tv contracts and winning.  

Maybe the big schools should pay the the lower conference teams money for each player they take through the portal.

• Upvote 4
  • Oh Boy! 1
  • Eye Roll 1

2 hours ago, southsideguy said:
The Utah Utes and a NIL group called The Crimson Collective are presenting all 85 scholarship players a brand new Dodge Ram truck.
Each truck’s retail price is $61,000. Funded by collective donations, the trucks will be leased to each player as part of individual six-month contracts that are expected to roll over contingent on a player’s eligibility and enrollment at the university. Leases end when a player’s eligi…
See more

I wouldn’t want to ever scoop to that level of disgusting and pathetic. 

I would never want a player who has to stoop to that level of pathetic on my team. Don’t pay players! Fix the system!

• Upvote 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Oh Boy! 1
  • Eye Roll 9
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, Andrew said:

I would never want a player who has to stoop to that level of pathetic on my team. Don’t pay players! Fix the system!

It is the reality though. Yes... it absolutely sucks. But we are neither powerful enough or in a position to change it.

So either we throw some cars at the kids or we abandon FBS football.  At least until things course correct. 

• Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 3

10 hours ago, Andrew said:

I have NO interest in watching that sport.  I don't watch pro football and definitely don't care to watch semi-pro football.  It's why I stopped watching P5 (especially SEC) games a long time ago. 

• Upvote 5
  • Eye Roll 4

It’s always been this way…it was just hidden and the cheating to pay players happened behind closed doors.  

I don’t see why the NFL would ever adopt these big schools as it’s minor league.  Why would they?  They get it for free today.  

As long as there is no central rules enforcement arm, with real punishments, someone will always try to cheat to get ahead. It’s human nature.  Look at college baseball.  It’s all the same schools making the World Series that play big time football.  It didn’t used to be like that before ESPN picked it up and made a big deal about it.  

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, TIgreen01 said:

It’s always been this way…it was just hidden and the cheating to pay players happened behind closed doors.  

I don’t see why the NFL would ever adopt these big schools as it’s minor league.  Why would they?  They get it for free today.  

As long as there is no central rules enforcement arm, with real punishments, someone will always try to cheat to get ahead. It’s human nature.  Look at college baseball.  It’s all the same schools making the World Series that play big time football.  It didn’t used to be like that before ESPN picked it up and made a big deal about it.  

In the College World Series, I've seen Coastal Carolina, Rice, and Fresno State win titles in the last two decades. I saw Oral Roberts in the CWS last year and they made noise while there. 

The NCAA Basketball Tournament and the NCAA Baseball Playoffs are what we wish college football was like. But the media behind football only wants about 30 teams to focus on and prop up. That will never change. And the sooner the Power Teams break away, the better it will be for teams at our level of play. Its patently unfair to the players, coaches, and fans to play at a level of football that doesn't give them a chance to be a champion. Every other level of football, from pee wee to the NFL, all crown a champion. Only exception is the G5s.

• Upvote 6
  • Eye Roll 1

This is a fun one-day headline for Utah but I have some questions.

How many of those 85 Utes actually want a leased Dodge Ram? If you polled them I bet a lot would prefer the money that's being spent on this. Is the collective going to pay for their auto insurance, gas and on-campus parking too?

How is this PR move going to look if any of those players crashes and hurts themselves or others behind the wheel?

• Upvote 1

On 10/8/2023 at 1:37 PM, DentonLurker said:

I don’t know that we have ever competed at the level of the top 30-50 programs in FBS.

The last time all FBS schools were anywhere close to competitive parity had to be before 1984 when the schools won an antitrust battle to take the control of the sport's TV away from the NCAA.

But in the 1970s it wasn't a level playing field for UNT either, excluded from the Southwest Conference. If it had been more fair, Hayden Fry might have stayed.

I don't quite get it.  What happens to the truck if a player doesn't live up to expectations?  Does the next player get a used truck?  If the player meets expectations does he get to keep the truck at graduation?  Does the collective have to buy 85 new trucks each year?  Or just the amount of trucks to replace the graduating seniors?

• Upvote 1

On 10/8/2023 at 2:57 PM, Andrew said:

Do you still have a landline phone?
Do you still use a mapsco to get around?

It just seems like you're extremely against any sort of change at all.

• Haha 2
  • Confused 1