Bye Week

Big Z

With our win last week, we avoided a winless season, have we ever had one? I checked sports reference, which confirms this, but it only goes back to 1953

Just with a little research, Texas A&M, SMU, TCU, and Baylor look like our Texas brethren that have suffered this distinction.

44 minutes ago, golfingomez said:

With our win last week, we avoided a winless season, have we ever had one? I checked sports reference, which confirms this, but it only goes back to 1953

Just with a little research, Texas A&M, SMU, TCU, and Baylor look like our Texas brethren that have suffered this distinction.

0-1 in 1913 against TCU, but after that we've never had a winless season.

• Upvote 1
  • Sad 1

56 minutes ago, golfingomez said:

Houston went winless in 2001

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Old Denton said:

We would have gone winless in 2015 if the Flightless Birds hadn't been on the schedule.

#lockedthegate

Just because they were down to their 6th string QB (true story, not exaggerated) and we were at home, that late 4th quarter TD saved us the indignation of probably the worst season of all time. Remember, it included the Portland State debacle that season.

• Sad 1
  • Eye Roll 2

2 minutes ago, untjim1995 said:

Just because they were down to their 6th string QB (true story, not exaggerated) and we were at home, that late 4th quarter TD saved us the indignation of probably the worst season of all time. Remember, it included the Portland State debacle that season.

And only five home games. And two bodybag games at Iowa and Tennessee.

4 hours ago, MCMLXXX said:

Good week to make the defensive adjustments that are needed.  In addition, the ACU game will be a good game to make real time tweaks for the remainder of the season. Couldn't have come at a better time.

I would have rather had it after the ACU game so we had two weeks to prep for Navy's triple option. 

• Upvote 7

On 9/18/2023 at 1:55 PM, UNTcrazy727 said:

I’m hoping we use the next two weeks to install more looks from the 4-2-5. I’m guessing all we had last week was a base look with not a lot of stunts/blitzes/coverages. Might explain why we abandoned it in the 2nd half? 

I'm hoping they spend time gathering up EVERY COPY of the 3man defense playbook and bundle them up to be put on the bon fire.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Cougar King said:

0-11 courtesy of now UTEP head coach Dana Dimel

Yes indeed.  It was a frustrating time growing up a Coog.  I was in HS.  We were season ticket holders then.  My dad was on those mid 70s teams.  I loved plenty of those players 2001.  Joffrey Reynolds, Orlando Iglesias, Brandon Middleton, Key Bell, Stanford Route, Rex Hadnot.  I’m sure I’m forgetting some that I loved to watch.  Plenty of electric receivers, just a lazy offensive scheme with slow quarterbacks and bad discipline. Beating Louisville to end the next season was almost as satisfying as seeing Dimel go.  Now it’s probably time to see another Dana go, as much as I hate that it hasn’t worked out. 

• Upvote 1