Update from Footballcoop.com (Monday Morning)

El Paso Eagle

Been catching up on this... I wonder if Mattress Mack wanting to be involved is really just that he sees the AAC as a conference where he can throw enough money at UNT where we can have some success and make championship games/12 team playoffs so he can make more big game bets. UH going to the Big 12 is great but your money doesn't go as far from a gambling perspective. If they don't make playoffs or conference championship games, there's no big games to bet on.

Don't know much about the guy but it sure does seem like everything he does has a money angle. 

• Upvote 5
  • Puking Eagle 1

6 hours ago, El Paso Eagle said:

Reported that Riley turned down 2 million a year from A&M, wonder what TCU countered with? 

I’d turn down 2 mil a year from A&M. Their fan base is SUUUUPER weird … including my brother-in-law. I love the guy but man … “Herman is gonna be the guy to turn this program around. I can’t wait to see what he does … “ then … “I can’t believe we hired that guy. Who’s idea was that? He’s horrible. I can’t believe we’re paying him that much …”

Who am I kidding … I’d do just about any job offered for $2 mil a year. 

• Upvote 2
  • Ray 1
  • Confused 2
  • Downvote 2

1 hour ago, mustangfan said:

For sure.  I know it has been a tough couple of weeks for you guys for sure.  We had Coach Lashlee all set up and contracted in a very short period of time so it was a little smoother sailing for us.  Looks like you guys are still trying to identify someone who is interested.  One good thing is I like seeing that you are interested in Garrett Riley.  He was just an assistant for us but seemed to be a nice guy.  Not sure he would be interested in the UNT job but it doesn't hurt to try.

Congrats on June 2.0!

• Haha 6

13 minutes ago, greenminer said:

Wish MM would just come forth with some money and ask, "What do we need to make this better?"

This latest endeavor seems more opportunistic, rather than purely supportive of UNT.

This time of year Mattress Mac should be looking for tax deductions.  Like donations to UNT Athletics.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, jwVA said:

Gents, I have quite enjoyed hanging around these parts this past week. It appears you have a great fan base. And Coach Fu is your guy if you want to take it to the next level.

I promise that’s the one hire the Ponies don’t want you to make. They know what’s up.

Thanks for stopping by and sharing so much positive info on Coach Fuente.

• Upvote 4

4 minutes ago, Cr1028 said:

Thanks for stopping by and sharing so much positive info on Coach Fuente.

Gagree.  Other than GP (which doesn’t feel realistic), Fuente is my top choice.  Followed by Riley and Harrell.  I honestly believe Fuente can take the baton from Seth (whom i celebrate and thank) and improve upon it in this next era.  Much else, gimme Seth.  Looking forward to the dust settling. 

• Upvote 4