Seth could be UNT's Gary Patterson

Coach Andy Mac

1 minute ago, MrStrange18 said:

Here's a question...

Would you be interested in replacing Seth with GH if he came calling to Wren?

Just curious

GMG

No we just can’t do anything to Seth.  Seth could hold us hostage with Phil Bennett.  Bennett and him are best friends.  We have to keep Seth or risk losing Bennett.

• Upvote 1
  • Confused 1
  • Eye Roll 2
  • Downvote 2

Just now, meangreen11 said:

No we just can’t do anything to Seth.  Seth could hold us hostage with Phil Bennett.  Bennett and him are best friends.  We have to keep Seth or risk losing Bennett.

Believe it or not, they could both go, and with the talent on the roster, the right HC with a good DC could get more than 6-6 out of them once buy-in is achieved.   Bennett is a good DC, don't get me wrong.

I don't think Wren Baker can be held hostage by anyone anymore.  He'll just replace you with someone better.  Ask Tracy Kee.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

10 minutes ago, MrStrange18 said:

Here's a question...

Would you be interested in replacing Seth with GH if he came calling to Wren?

Just curious

GMG

Very weird fascination people have with GH on being our next head coach. With our money and resources, do we really want to deal with the up and downs of a first time head coach trying to learn on the job?

Edited by UNT Texas Hooligan
  • Upvote 6

6 minutes ago, UNT Texas Hooligan said:

Very weird fascination people have with GH on being our next head coach. With our money and resources, do we really want to deal with the up and downs of a first time head coach trying to learn on the job?

SMU just did it. I guess they’re weird too

TCU did it with GP. OU did it with Riley.

Edited by greenminer
  • Upvote 3
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1

37 minutes ago, UNT Texas Hooligan said:

I think we're more apt to bring in GH as HC because we've been beaten to death with bad QB play/playcalling for the last three years.

GH would at least fix the QB room and, despite his lack of halftime adjustments while he was here, was a quality playcaller. I suspect he's improved on that aspect in his time at USC.

Also being a Texas HS/College legend probably wouldn't hurt recruiting at all.

Think about it. Some of these kids earliest memories might have been GH beating UT, or throwing for a billion yards and lighting up the scoreboard. Hard to argue against that, especially for an offensive player

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, MGNation92 said:

I think we're more apt to bring in GH as HC because we've been beaten to death with bad QB play/playcalling for the last three years.

GH would at least fix the QB room and, despite his lack of halftime adjustments while he was here, was a quality playcaller. I suspect he's improved on that aspect in his time at USC.

Think about it. Some of these kids earliest memories might have been GH beating UT, or throwing for a billion yards and lighting up the scoreboard. Hard to argue against that, especially for an offensive player

I think GH is older than you may be assuming. Not sure these guys would remember a lot of GH playing days. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, MeanGreen_MBA said:

I think GH is older than you may be assuming. Not sure these guys would remember a lot of GH playing days. 

Yep. These kids were in kindergarten or first or second grade. He graduated Tech in 2009. 

Personally, I am tired of the "Leach style".  I like a run first or balanced offense and a stout defense over an "out score 'em" offense and zero defense.  Find a good QB Coach to develop these young, Aune excluded, men.  Joseph has a lot to prove if he is to keep his job here.  I want someone like Harrell or Dodge that had creative teaching methods and developed the QB position.  

• Upvote 3

12 minutes ago, UNT Texas Hooligan said:

And they don't have a history of striking out on first year head coaches like we do. 

I admire the passion on GMG even when I don’t fully agree. 

I (as many of you) was on the “gotta make changes” bandwagon when we first hit 1 & 6, but then in the midst of the win streak I started looking (again) at prior W/L records of almost every UNT coach (during my student & alum years) who after 6 years were not close to .500 .  In fact, only Fry & 2 year Coach Jerry Moore were at or over .500 upon leaving Denton.  After Year 6, SL is exactly at .500 & with a bowl win will be one over.

Our expectations are all very (admirably) high for UNT because we’ve been to the occasional mountain top & looked over to see what could be a very grandiose thing up there. When SL gets a new contract he (& we) will know we have to go into warp speed with portal transfer recruiting & continuing the habit of hiring more Phil Bennett-types at UNT. 
I think even novices like me & others on GMG know SL will still need to tweak areas of concern.  I think more now want the OKEE FROM MUSKOGEE to succeed because if he’s successful (like in his two 9 & 2 seasons) then no one will care if he’s not the 2’nd Coming of Anthony Robbins.  
•••Just win—-& the rest can fill in the blanks with all the cute coachy’ talk.  

GMG!

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

Personally, I am tired of the "Leach style".  I like a run first or balanced offense and a stout defense over an "out score 'em" offense and zero defense.  Find a good QB Coach to develop these young, Aune excluded, men.  Joseph has a lot to prove if he is to keep his job here.  I want someone like Harrell or Dodge that had creative teaching methods and developed the QB position.  

Exactly my thoughts. I agree with you. Give me someone that cares about defense.  

• Upvote 2

Patterson was obviously frustrated with the evolution of college sports with regards to the transfer portal and nil.  Even though TCU is in a P5 conference they still loose players and coaches to bigger name programs.  This makes it very hard to develop players over more then one season, programs have to think shorter development for their players.  UNT is in the same position, always at risk of loosing quality personal to bigger named programs.   

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Believe it or not, they could both go, and with the talent on the roster, the right HC with a good DC could get more than 6-6 out of them once buy-in is achieved.   Bennett is a good DC, don't get me wrong.

I don't think Wren Baker can be held hostage by anyone anymore.  He'll just replace you with someone better.  Ask Tracy Kee.

I agree Bennett has been a welcomed addition. Here's the issue - The bar was set so freaking low last year that we are overjoyed (as we should be) at a team that is statistically middle-of-the-pack in CUSA. I realize that we will not see similar improvements next year, but will be interested in seeing what PB and crew do next year.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, UNT Texas Hooligan said:

I watched several USC games. Very questionable play calling late in games when USC was behind, in my opinion. A specific example below: USC down 4 points with a minute and change left in the game against BYU.

image.png.e9f0ce406d6a12c18d6f5c3dbee3e636.png

I have no problem with the call on 1st down. Not sure about running on 2nd down when you need a touchdown. 3rd down call to run again made no sense to me. On 4th down, receiver did not make sure he was past the first down marker on his route.

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, El Paso Eagle said:

I agree Bennett has been a welcomed addition. Here's the issue - The bar was set so freaking low last year that we are overjoyed (as we should be) at a team that is statistically middle-of-the-pack in CUSA. I realize that we will not see similar improvements next year, but will be interested in seeing what PB and crew do next year.

For the totality of the season, that is true.  But if you look at how this defense has been coming around, they're definitely among the best in C-USA.  They just held UTSA to their lowest point total for the season.  Only Marshall held FIU to less than we did.  Only Boise St. held UTEP to less than we did.  During our season-ending win streak, we haven't given up more than 24 points to any team--I'm not sure if there's another team in C-USA other than WKU that could say the same of their last 5 games.

Edited by Mean Green 93-98
  • Upvote 2

2 hours ago, MGNation92 said:

2 hours ago, MeanGreen_MBA said:

2 hours ago, 97and03 said:

Yep. These kids were in kindergarten or first or second grade. He graduated Tech in 2009. 

I know when he graduated. 

Some of my earliest College Football memories were Miami winning it all in 1999 and 2001. I was 7 and 9 respectively.

Just saying. If they were interested in football at 5-7 years old, they know exactly who GH is

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, El Paso Eagle said:

Yes, the bar was very low with Bowen, but Reff had the 2018 defense at #5 in C-USA, so it's not like it's been this way for a long time.
I'm not sure how to process this year's defense.   It leaked like a sieve early on, and then, seemed to gain steam as the year went on.   

We played some garbage teams down the stretch, but the defense was a huge part in making them look like garbage.  Our total defense this season was 27.5 PPG (#8 in C-USA) sure, but total defense starting with the Liberty game (where most people say the season turned) was 20 PPG, which would be #1 in C-USA.   I just don't know if the late season surge is a mirage or not.   Can we really have the #1 C-USA defense next year?

I thought the UTSA game would be a prove-it game for the defense, but between the elements and shoving the L down UTSA's throats so hard they quit in the 3rd quarter, it wasn't.  That game just snowballed.  I honestly think the UTEP game told us more about the defense than any of those other games... at least, I hope it did because the defense won that game for us.

Maybe the Bowl game will tell us more.   Either way, I'm not mad if Bennett returns! 😂

• Upvote 2

42 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Yes, the bar was very low with Bowen, but Reff had the 2018 defense at #5 in C-USA, so it's not like it's been this way for a long time.
I'm not sure how to process this year's defense.   It leaked like a sieve early on, and then, seemed to gain steam as the year went on.   

We played some garbage teams down the stretch, but the defense was a huge part in making them look like garbage.  Our total defense this season was 27.5 PPG (#8 in C-USA) sure, but total defense starting with the Liberty game (where most people say the season turned) was 20 PPG, which would be #1 in C-USA.   I just don't know if the late season surge is a mirage or not.   Can we really have the #1 C-USA defense next year?

I thought the UTSA game would be a prove-it game for the defense, but between the elements and shoving the L down UTSA's throats so hard they quit in the 3rd quarter, it wasn't.  That game just snowballed.  I honestly think the UTEP game told us more about the defense than any of those other games... at least, I hope it did because the defense won that game for us.

Maybe the Bowl game will tell us more.   Either way, I'm not mad if Bennett returns! 😂

UTSA had a very productive RB and we held him in check. They got their last TD on a deep Hail Mary type pass where our D-back was there. So that would have held them below 20. 

Think our D is for real

Edited by MeanGreen_MBA
  • Upvote 1

At this point without a great Bowl performance I don’t see the value in bringing Seth back.  I think if they had a solid yes from a coach they really wanted rumors might be leaking now.   If he is financial place holder and keeps the team from tanking in 2022, I guess that is okay. 🤷🏽‍♂️  But just look at the passing game efficiency, it is trending down.  We almost always had good running backs at UNT.  When SL arrived here Jeff Wilson was already in the backfield showing flashes of his talent. 

Seth was touted and sold to us as an Air Raid Coach

Yet the passing efficiency has trended down the past 3 years.  Are we expecting Seth to turn into a ground and pound coach and recruit to that system?  Whether you’re ground & pound or Air Raid you have to be efficient throwing the ball with 60% accuracy minimum.  The accuracy of the passing game is going down not up.  More than likely we will be 7-5 or 6-6 next year wondering the AD should do with Seth again.  I will be here to tell you I told you so but I’m not looking forward to that. 

Edited by Mike Jackson
  • Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1