Dickey to SMU rumor

peanuts104

3 minutes ago, peanuts104 said:

Buddy at SMU just texted me this morning saying he's hearing some rumblings that Darrell Dickey could be headed to SMU.   My first thought was PLEASE NO WHY.

Thoughts?

He's a good coach. UNT fired him. He owes us zero loyalty. Regardless of what awards or reunions he attends. This would actually be kind of funny if it happened. It would make for some really interesting reading on GMG too.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

4 minutes ago, UNTexas said:

He's a good coach. UNT fired him. He owes us zero loyalty. Regardless of what awards or reunions he attends. This would actually be kind of funny if it happened. It would make for some really interesting reading on GMG too.

True. I’d still be sad to see him sporting Mustang gear on the sidelines next year. 

Is this rumor based on bringing him in as OC?

• Lovely Take 1

15 minutes ago, Green Lantern said:

True. I’d still be sad to see him sporting Mustang gear on the sidelines next year. 

Is this rumor based on bringing him in as OC?

As I understand it, head coach.  It is a rumor.  My buddy wouldn't lie to me about it, he actually heard something.  No way to verify beyond that though.  Didn't see any sources online either.

4 minutes ago, peanuts104 said:

As I understand it, head coach.  It is a rumor.  My buddy wouldn't lie to me about it, he actually heard something.  No way to verify beyond that though.  Didn't see any sources online either.

Usually don't until someone leaks it because they want it out there. 

I'm kinda surprised Dickey has't gotten another head coaching job.  I suppose he may have just not been interested or perhaps how he left UNT is still following him.

I don't see him being the hire at SMU.  I don't think he would bring the excitement they would want and, much like Seth, I don't see him as a fit for the SMU culture. 

Dickey at SMU, this is great news!!  For UNT's future games against SMU they wouldn't even have to worry about defending against the forward pass, only worry about the 3rd down draw.  Additionally, Dickey wouldn't even try to win because our match up is not a conference game! 

Edited by GAMeanGreen
  • Upvote 3
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Downvote 2

5 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

My only worry is if, and this is a big if, DD went SMUt that Mattress Mac would follow. He has proven his allegiance is to the individual. 

He's also already given a ton to A&M athletics and student organizations as well. I get the concern, but I think he's proven he's willing to give support to any and all people he deems worth his time and effort, so that should bode well even if this happens. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

32 minutes ago, Ole Green Guts said:

With Ramon Flanagin there pulling strings, I see this as a strong possibility. Ramon is the Director of Former Player Relations and probably has some pull.  I wish the best for Dickey.

.What a perfect job for him. After all he spent about 7 or 8 years there whilst playing QB for them. He ought to know a lot of former players.

• Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 1

1 hour ago, GAMeanGreen said:

Dickey at SMU, this is great news!!  For UNT's future games against SMU they wouldn't even have to worry about defending against the forward pass, only worry about the 3rd down draw.  Additionally, Dickey wouldn't even try to win because our match up is not a conference game! 

You have not been following Dickey too closely since his time at UNT, have you?