MGB: Source says Tommy Perry has left staff at UNT

Brett Vito

20 minutes ago, TreeFiddy said:

If the job was posted today then it surely has been in the works for at least a couple/few weeks.

I REALLY wish this would have happened last year. You can say new coach, cleaning house, don't worry. Now, it's a year in and a coach/recruiter leaves weeks before NSD? Right after the scholarship issue with the TE recruit? 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 12

7 minutes ago, All About UNT said:

Really sorry to see Perry leave and I really hope he knows how many on this board/in this fanbase considered him their favorite coach on the staff.  He will be on a solid coaching staff in a no time.

His 2013 special teams unit was amazing. Interesting to see where he lands.

I also wonder if this was an arranged deal to stay for a year. That gave Littrell someone who knew the players in the locker room and could help with the transition. 

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1

Maybe they are looking for an Airraid guy to coach the running backs. Perry was the best coach on the last staff and I thought one of the better ones on this staff. This had better be for an upgrade. If we are grading coordinators or position coaches, I'm sure Perry's special teams would've graded better than Harrell's offense and his running backs were flat out the best offensive players on the team.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, UNT90 said:

I don't think this is Perry stepping away. That would have occurred during the college coaches conference after the season. I think this is either a mutual parting of the ways or Perry asked not to return. 

You mean the one happening right now? 

Staying in one spot for more than 4-5 years is pretty rare in non P5 jobs.  Makes it appear you're content and don't want to move up in ranks.  Going to miss Perry but wish him well. 

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

56 minutes ago, All About UNT said:

Really sorry to see Perry leave and I really hope he knows how many on this board/in this fanbase considered him their favorite coach on the staff.  He will be on a solid coaching staff in a no time.

This.  Sad to see him go, and wish him all success in the future.

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, jtm0097 said:

My old coach Anthony Johnson would be a perfect replacement. Has years of experience coaching running backs on the college level, and he is from East Texas.

http://www.texassports.com/news/2016/2/13/FB_0213162823.aspx

I'm good with that but I have to believe Littrell already has his guy. Hopefully he's as active as Joey McGuire on twitter... only going to help Baylor

• Upvote 3

From Vitos writeup it sure seems like this was not Perrys decision. Perry was definitely an ok special teams coach, and his RBs were the best offensive unit this season. I get that SL wants people with his philosophy, but I feel the timing has to be fairly horrible for Perry who sure doesn't merrit bein axed at a time when most coaching positions elsewhere are already filled. This should have happened earlier and feels risky. SL may come to regret this unless he really has a homerun hire lined up.

Edited by outoftown
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Very sorry to read this information. Perry was one of my favorites and I was always confident of a decent-to-excellent performance from our special teams units. It reads like Littrell cut him loose...I hope he (Littrell) didn't step on his own dick!

Edited by EagleMBA
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

12 hours ago, UNT90 said:

I don't think this is Perry stepping away. That would have occurred during the college coaches conference after the season. I think this is either a mutual parting of the ways or Perry asked not to return. 

You nailed it on the timing. AFCA Coaches Convention going on right now, and tons of jobs are shuffling as always around this time.

12 hours ago, UNT90 said:

No return game and FGs were very dicey outside 40 yards. 

I didn't say terrible, just average. 

Honest assessment that kick coverage units and punting game were solid. Return game was atrocious and FG's average-ish. This is likely a philosophical difference in style too between Perry and Littrell.

Wonder if @SSP has any "inside" insights?

11 hours ago, GMG24 said:

I'm good with that but I have to believe Littrell already has his guy. Hopefully he's as active as Joey McGuire on twitter... only going to help Baylor

Absolutely. You know the timing of this actually happening in the department and being announced in the media (with a simultaneous job posting) are weeks apart. 

Edited by UNT Mean Green