Guess: Big 12 Will Not Expand After All

That's just my guess.  Anyone else hear, see anything that would make them believe Big 12 would expand?  Therefore, I think we're pretty much staying in the C-USun Belt for another few seasons.  

Overarching reason:  None of the candidates really adds anything the Big 12 needs/doesn't already have.  Plus, I don't think Texas or Oklahoma can agree on whom to invite, anyway, if anyone. 

Question:  How depressed will Cougar fans be if Tulsa beats them this weekend and Big 12 announces no expansion on Monday?  And, will Tom Herman still be Cougar God then?  He's already in backtrack mode after one loss: 

"Our goal was not to go undefeated, our goal was not just to beat Oklahoma, (and) our goal wasn't to be ranked in the top 10 or five," Herman said. "Our goal was to win our conference, and that goal is still out there."

I think maybe the truth is:  those were all goals, but only one goal is still out there:  win the AAC.  With another loss or two, we'll see what Cougar God is made of.  We're discovering now what SMU Jesus is made of.  

Other coaches to watch - Hairgel Hands up at Texas Tech. How many more losses does Tech take before the Sand Aggie faithful decide $3 million+ is a lot to pay for a coach who can't even put together a winning record in conference year after year.  The easy part of their slate is gone, and they're only 3-2 to show for it, 1-1 in conference.  Remaining sked for Hairgel:

This weekend: home against his philosophical doppelganger, Dana Holgorsen and West Virginia
Next weekend: home against Oklahoma
October 29:  at TCU
November 5:  home against Texas
November 12: at Oklahoma State
November 19: at Iowa State, a school who has already come close to pissing in Baylor's and Oklahoma State's corn flakes this season.  They'll hit the cereal bowl against someone.
November 25: at JerryWorld versus Baylor

Hard to see even three more wins that Tech and Hairgel to get bowl eligible.  If they can't beat WVU this weekend, I think their season's fully in the crapper.  It's then just a matter of how long the turd circles before going down the pipe.

Edited by MeanGreenMailbox
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

This is a little bit of a conspiracy theory (not really since it was in the report that was published not long ago) but I believe that Wren Baker is attempting to position us to be more attractive when the Big 12 collapses and the schools in this region scramble to make a solid conference inits place. With a new indoor facility and potential expansion of our training facilities as well as the academic center, we could be a more attractive school than most here realize. But none of that matters if you do not win. Just imagine playing TCU, Houston, Baylor, and Tech every season. We could be looking at that here in the next 4-5 years.

• Upvote 6

2 minutes ago, MeanGreen13 said:

This is a little bit of a conspiracy theory (not really since it was in the report that was published not long ago) but I believe that Wren Baker is attempting to position us to be more attractive when the Big 12 collapses and the schools in this region scramble to make a solid conference inits place. With a new indoor facility and potential expansion of our training facilities as well as the academic center, we could be a more attractive school than most here realize. But none of that matters if you do not win. Just imagine playing TCU, Houston, Baylor, and Tech every season. We could be looking at that here in the next 4-5 years.

I hope you are right and I like this theory, have you seen my foil hat?

• Upvote 2

I've been saying almost since the Big 12 formed to watch for UT and OU to eventually vault.  I really think they both  feel they are in a SWC 2.0  

When TAMU left for the SEC don't think the Horns & Sooner Nation hadn't noticed how the Aggies are playing similar "The State" schools like themselves in the SEC & in much larger stadiums than you'll ever see in Waco, Fort Worth, Manhattan, Ames & Lubbock. 

I think UT & OU will check out the PAC 12 first, then who knows what the SEC would do to make room for them except TAMU would probably black-ball both of them!  LOL!

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

17 minutes ago, MeanGreen13 said:

This would be awesome. And I think it is a reasonable scenario and expectation for North Texas. GMG

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, Got5onIt said:

The B12 won't expand and Herman will leave. UT & OU are going to leave anyway in a few years. Just wait until the season is over and none of the B12 schools make the playoff. Then you'll hear all the uT/Ou leaving talk....

I hope Herman doesn't leave just yet.  I hope he sticks around and complete Boise State like run there before moving on.  I think whenever a G5 team breaks through it is good for all competently managed G5 programs.   The Whiny Orange and Land Thieves are foolish to think that their conference limits their changes at the playoffs.  What limits there chances are meddling needy boosters at UT and coming up small by Big Game Dud Bob.  If you lose more than one game and you virtually never have a shot regardless of conference.

6 hours ago, MeanGreen13 said:

I hope you are right too.  However I don't think UT and OU are going anywhere.  A big part of the reason they haven't left is that powers that be in the state of Oklahoma won't let OU abandon OSU.  I think the PAC 12 would have welcomed OU and Texas but they didn't want OU or Texas Tech.   The SEC is not an option for UT until the Longhorn Network bites the dust.  I think the Big 12 should expand but they aren't prepared to do what is necessary to steal a team from SEC, ACC, SEC, or PAC 12.

34 minutes ago, oldguystudent said:

It's just fantasy, but a boy can dream, right?

Rice

Tech

TCU

Baylor

UNT

Houston

Tulane

Tulsa

Southern Miss

LaTech

UTEP

Memphis

That gives a nice regional mix of seven publics and five privates, most of the schools with good academics (I think of the list, only UTEP would be suspect). 

Yes, I know, there are about two hundred responses coming to tell me how unrealistic this is and how it would never happen because X school hates Y school and ESPN can't pleasure itself enough with Z school.  Whatevs.  I would love this conference, and it's nothing more than bye week dreaming.

Also, Leave SMU out in the cold, because screw those guys. 

The new SWC. I like it. 

I remember reading a Mickey Spagnola article in the now defunct Dallas Times-Herald how (then) Arkansas AD Frank Broyles listed "too many Texas schools in one conference" as one of the reasons they vaulted for the SEC. I still think UT & OU go PAC 12 or SEC & will use that as one of their reasons.  

Is the PAC 12 too far for UT & OU to change their conference footprint?   Well, with their athletic budgets for football alone it isn't.  I think the SEC would be their 2'nd choice if the Aggies didn't go political & blackball them.

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

3 hours ago, oldguystudent said:

It's just fantasy, but a boy can dream, right?

Rice

Tech

TCU

Baylor

UNT

Houston

Tulane

Tulsa

Southern Miss

LaTech

UTEP

Memphis

That gives a nice regional mix of seven publics and five privates, most of the schools with good academics (I think of the list, only UTEP would be suspect). 

Yes, I know, there are about two hundred responses coming to tell me how unrealistic this is and how it would never happen because X school hates Y school and ESPN can't pleasure itself enough with Z school.  Whatevs.  I would love this conference, and it's nothing more than bye week dreaming.

Also, Leave SMU out in the cold, because screw those guys. 

OU and OSU to the BIG10 (however many teams that would be) and Kansas State, Iowa State, SMU and Middle Tennessee would add to this group to make 16. So sorry I just commandeered your fantasy... Let's just call it a shared delusion. 

No way SMU is left out and we're in... no way.