Fritz' 2nd Year FBS Triple Option In The GoDaddy Bowl

FirefightnRick

haha, yes I am a coach. Been in the business for 8 years. Trying to talk X's and O's with people like you is impossible. Thanks for reminding me. 

OK. Because X's and O's are so complex. Complex enough that higher education institutions have to substantially lower entry requirements for said people running the X's and O's. 

By the way, I am not your average fan. 

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 10

The thing about defending the option is that it is strictly assignment football. You have specific players on the defense cover specific players on the offense. The moment you deviate from that assignment is when you get burned for a big gain. What makes it so difficult to defend against is that so few defensive coaches have ever come into contact with the Triple Option.

While I know some here are hot for that style of offense we don't have any of the personnel to run that type of offense. I suspect it will be challenging to recruit to that style of offense, given few HS programs run that style today.

Edited by UNTFan23

Uhhgggggh no triple option.  I felt like I was watching a more polished mac offense.  At least ga southern had an identity and I am glad they won but keep that offense out of Denton.  We live in big 12 country and am glad we will play big 12 style football.  

Go Mean Green!!!!!

Why aren't you rooting for a Big 12 program then?

I bet you can count on no fingers the times Littrell's offense puts up 58 next year, much less against a 10 win team. Sorry you were bored watching all those touchdowns. Lol. 

This is a prime example of people saying really dumb things to reinforce their own beliefs, or NM Green may just be sunshine pumping as usual. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 3

It was boring football.  Just like nobody can blast you out of being Debbie downer I am solely in the camp of wanting exciting football.   You see five star is about performance and drama.  Littrell will hopefully win with drama.  Fritz wins with boring football.  

We get big 12 cast offs and others that want to play modern football in green and that is what keeps me flying in from far away to watch the Mean Green.

fritz football bores me.  Throw me some Oregon tcu and Baylor style football any day.  Welcome to Denton.  

Go Mean Green!!!!!

• Upvote 6
  • Downvote 1

Fritz wins with boring football.

For me, "Fritz wins" is the only part of the sentence that matters. I want a winner in UNT no matter what playing style it takes. I think a lot of high school players care more about winning than winning with style. Those Dickey teams didn't seem to mind grinding it out during the four-year winning streak. I can remember a lot of fans being happy too.

Edited by rcade
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

The implementation of it is the difference. Not just running it on a semi regular basis, but having it as your meat and potatoes. When it is THE philosophy there are so many different looks that can be designed rather than it just being a small part of the philosophy. There is a world of difference. And rest assured, there is nothing that you will say that will be above my head. 

Get your hands on the tape of the 1988 NT/UT game. The "flying wishbone". Great example of the traditional "bone" with "different looks".

A couple of things, first, Georgia Southern has been running the triple option for years.  Willie Fritz did not bring the triple option there.  When he was at Sam Houston, he ran a spread offense and set records for pass attempts.  What he did a great job of at GS was to build upon what they had done and bring it to another level.

Second, I didn't take Coach Littrell as mocking the triple option itself.  He was mocking the notion of him running the triple option.  As I believe he said, "That's not me."  He's a coach off the Mike Leach tree, and his comment would have been like Mike Leach when he took the job at Washington State saying, "I'll be running the triple option."  It would have been ridiculous and funny, because everyone knows that Mike Leach's offense is the diametric opposite.  I don't think he had any intention of saying the triple option is inferior, or that teams can't win with it today.

• Upvote 6

In his press conference he called over to RV and while looking at him to let him know that something to the effect of..."sorry but we're gonna run the triple option"...  To which the whole room got a good Ha Ha Ha belly laugh out of it.  So obviously it had been discussed prior.

Rick

That statement is funny in context.  The suggestion that it mocks the triple option offense is a stretch.  I am sure he is as aware of successful triple option teams as you are, but it simply is not his offensive philosophy. 

• Upvote 3

I am not sure what you are referring to by with this comment, but I spend countless hours away from my family mentoring, coaching, and helping my kids with life.  I know that's hard to believe for someone as amazing and perfect as you. I know that helping others may seem like it's below average intelligence to some, but I am trying to impact the world I'll be living in. These kids are going to affect OUR future so bashing someone for pursuing that job kind of makes you look like the fool.  Also didn't you go to UNT? I started off going to OU and pursued construction science held a 3.8 just decided it wasn't for me. What's your point? 

I have no point. Just clarifying that X's and O's are not difficult concepts as you make them out to be. But I guess someone like me wouldn't understand. 

Just when it seems like you can't be anymore you... You take your yourselfness up another level.   How high can you go?

What I said is reality. It's not sugarcoated. He was clamoring the difficulties of X's and O"s. I was just a friendly reminder. That is all. As far as me...or yourselfness...I try to live a very ethical and giving life. People that actually know me would agree to the utmost. Or at least I believe they would. When I start talking football I may rustle feathers because I'm passionate about it. But whatever. You know football me, not me. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I have no point. Just clarifying that X's and O's are not difficult concepts as you make them out to be. But I guess someone like me wouldn't understand. 

What I said is reality. It's not sugarcoated. He was clamoring the difficulties of X's and O"s. I was just a friendly reminder. That is all. As far as me...or yourselfness...I try to live a very ethical and giving life. People that actually know me would agree to the utmost. Or at least I believe they would. When I start talking football I may rustle feathers because I'm passionate about it. But whatever. You know football me, not me. 

If X's and O's were so "easy" then Vic Trilli would still be here and we would we talking about naming a building after him and his hair. I vote Bouffant Hall.

I'm a little perplexed by this thread.  Yes.  Many of us, yours truly included, have PTSD from our last offensive genius who refused to ever take a snap under center.  But then again, our last regime ran and ran and ran the ball, and it was, offensively speaking, even worse.

Run, pass, teleport the damn ball.  I don't care.  I just want a coach who's able to correctly assess any given situation and use the appropriate attack.  

My biggest concern is on the other side of the ball.  Can we give up fewer than 40 points a game in 2016?

• Upvote 1

For me, "Fritz wins" is the only part of the sentence that matters. I want a winner in UNT no matter what playing style it takes. I think a lot of high school players care more about winning than winning with style. Those Dickey teams didn't seem to mind grinding it out during the four-year winning streak. I can remember a lot of fans being happy too.

three year winning streak.