Fritz' 2nd Year FBS Triple Option In The GoDaddy Bowl

FirefightnRick

23 hours ago, Cr1028 said:

Georgia Southern certainly doesn't fit this statement as they were 7-4 when Fritz took over. SHSU won under Randlemann but Whitten screwed that up and they were 5-6 when Fritz took over, and how about this gem from Central Missouri on Fritz's predecessor, From 1983-1996, Terry Noland posted a record of 78-65-2. Noland owns the school records for wins, seasons as head coach, and conference titles, and he is responsible for getting Central Missouri State on the map as one of the premier programs in the Midwest. Central Missouri was 4-7 when he took over and in 13 years he shared one conference co-championship with 4 other teams. Yes, Fritz has a better overall record than Noland but the point is that it was not "historically difficult to win at".

Now if he wins at Tulane who is 3-9 and historically bad, you will have a valid point but until then, he has won at programs that have been nowhere near as bad of shape as Tulane or us.

Well, he took Blinn from god awful to a national power. He is in the NJCAA hall of fame for it.

You ignore the fact that he took Sam Houston from rarely making the FCS playoffs to appearances in back to back FCS Championship games.

You also ignore the fact that Ga. Southern was 7-5 IN FOOTBALL CHAMPIONSHIP SUBDIVISION the year before Fritz led them to an undefeated Sun Belt record and 9 wins. IN FOOTBALL BOWL SUBDIVISION football. 

That is much more of an achievement than if Littrell won 10 games in his first year. 

So poo poo Fritz all uyou want. History says he will soon be winning AAC championships at Tulane. History says Littrell will... Oh, wait, Littrell has no history as a head coach. 

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 8

59 minutes ago, UNT90 said:

Well, he took Blinn from god awful to a national power. He is in the NJCAA hall of fame for it.

You ignore the fact that he took Sam Houston from rarely making the FCS playoffs to appearances in back to back FCS Championship games.

You also ignore the fact that Ga. Southern was 7-5 IN FOOTBALL CHAMPIONSHIP SUBDIVISION the year before Fritz led them to an undefeated Sun Belt record and 9 wins. IN FOOTBALL BOWL SUBDIVISION football. 

That is much more of an achievement than if Littrell won 10 games in his first year. 

So poo poo Fritz all uyou want. History says he will soon be winning AAC championships at Tulane. History says Littrell will... Oh, wait, Littrell has no history as a head coach. 

08c4c3b1cf4f96a64154200f9b063060.jpg

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1

Let's clarify. Every program runs s little of this and that. Saying your an air raid team because you throw isn't true. Neither is calling your self an option team because you run the read option. Offensively being an "Air Rid" offense means your going to rely on the Pass as a mainstay. Running man and zone concepts and attacking the areas where the defense isn't. Being a triple option team mean your going to grinds it out with midline, inside veer, outside veer, double dives, rocket toss or some sort of variation of those plays. 

The two offenses are similar in that they try to reveal and expose a weakness of the defense. The main difference is the talent level and character of the athletes needed. Air Riad you must have a skilled qb (same decision making capability as option) but a gun slinger. Additionally you need several Johnny Quinn's. This offense is for the microwave generation, anyone can get the ball any play.  Triple option you need a decision maker. Bruiser at full back and a couple of running backs. Kids who are selfless and willing to do what's best for the team without recognition. 

The level of talent needed to be successful isn't close. One stark difference is how defense is connected to offense. Air Raid teams rarely have a solid defense. Too many plays on defense etc. Triple option teams fair slightly better. I believe it's more of a program mindset. Air Raid = Pretty Boy. Option = Working Man. One thing I do know is that in today college football you must score and there will be games that you must score a lot. 

With all that ranting one thing is for sure we will be running the air raid and this is the biggest recruiting class of Littrell tenure. If he doesn't land the talent now. He won't ever!

• Upvote 3

And just to clarify, this past year, UNC threw the ball on average 29.2 times a game, while running 37.6 times a game. So anyone who thinks we're going to come out and throw it 50 times every week is dead wrong.

PASSING:

Split G Att Comp Pct. Yards Yards/Att TD Int Rating Att/G Yards/G
All Games 14 409 261 63.8 3675 9.0 31 10 159.40 29.2 262.5

RUSHING:

Split G Att Yards Avg. TD Att/G Yards/G
All Games 14 527 3142 5.96 40 37.64 224.43
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, UNTcrazy727 said:

And just to clarify, this past year, UNC threw the ball on average 29.2 times a game, while running 37.6 times a game. So anyone who thinks we're going to come out and throw it 50 times every week is dead wrong.

PASSING:

Split G Att Comp Pct. Yards Yards/Att TD Int Rating Att/G Yards/G
All Games 14 409 261 63.8 3675 9.0 31 10 159.40 29.2 262.5

RUSHING:

Split G Att Yards Avg. TD Att/G Yards/G
All Games 14 527 3142 5.96 40 37.64 224.43

This has been a misconception because he is a young play caller so they assume he is a Kliff Kingsbury facsimile. Yes, he runs the spread air raid which he played in and had his first coaching gig learning under Leach, but his offenses have been fairly balanced. Remember his Indiana offense also developed Tevin Coleman. You can run the ball in this offense, and in fact it is a very important part of it. Even Texas Tech had a running back with almost 1500 yards this season. 

Edited by ChristopherRyanWilkes

A lot of people call it the power spread. It was the natural evolution of the spread/air raid. 

Canales tried to run it but didn't have the QB to pull it off. If Littrell can get the right QB in place I believe we have several pieces already here.  The QB if even more important than normal in this scheme. Bus drivers need not apply because they won't work in this style. 

35 minutes ago, greenit said:

A lot of people call it the power spread. It was the natural evolution of the spread/air raid. 

Canales tried to run it but didn't have the QB to pull it off. If Littrell can get the right QB in place I believe we have several pieces already here.  The QB if even more important than normal in this scheme. Bus drivers need not apply because they won't work in this style. 

Here's a good article on what you're talking about and what Houston and SMU are going for. Also known as the "Smash Mouth Spread."

http://www.footballstudyhall.com/2015/6/26/8851687/the-smashmouth-spread-invades-texas-Chad-Morris-Tom-Herman-SMU-Houston

• Upvote 1

18 hours ago, ChristopherRyanWilkes said:

Laugh of the day. You have to spell these things out for some.

No idea why this box ^ is here in my quote, I've tried to remove it.

2 hours ago, ChristopherRyanWilkes said:

Here's a good article on what you're talking about and what Houston and SMU are going for. Also known as the "Smash Mouth Spread."

http://www.footballstudyhall.com/2015/6/26/8851687/the-smashmouth-spread-invades-texas-Chad-Morris-Tom-Herman-SMU-Houston

Another good one within that article.

http://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2014/6/10/5782566/clemson-offense-chad-morris?_ga=1.84836689.954656611.1451509213

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick

26 minutes ago, FirefightnRick said:

Another good one within that article.

http://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2014/6/10/5782566/clemson-offense-chad-morris?_ga=1.84836689.954656611.1451509213

Rick

I'll be curious to see how it works out for SMU. Houston was already light years ahead of them talent and recruiting wise when both coaches came in so it wasn't really a fair comparison this year. Sounds like June Jones and coach Mac were similar situations. Both had stopped recruiting and there was a give-up attitude in the locker room which started with the Head Coach. I expected more improvement from them considering what they are dishing out for Morris. 

16 hours ago, UNT90 said:

Other than the JUCO, you still haven't shown how he won a program "historically difficult to win at". You just keep regurgitating that he made middle of the road to good teams better. Poor Georgia Southern, I guess I was dreaming that they beat the P5 Florida Gators while they were a lowly FCS team the year before Fritz took over. You overestimate the Sun Belt as I am not convinced that they are any better than the Southern Conference that GSU played In before.

You are delusional if you think taking a 7-5 FCS team with a win over a SEC team to a 9-3 record overall record while playing in the undisputed worst conference in all of FBS is a better achievement than taking a 1-11 FBS team who suffered a record-setting loss to a FCS school at home and getting them to ten wins. I see now that with all the other bad that RV has done to you, he also shattered your judgment.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

6 hours ago, Cr1028 said:

Other than the JUCO, you still haven't shown how he won a program "historically difficult to win at". You just keep regurgitating that he made middle of the road to good teams better. Poor Georgia Southern, I guess I was dreaming that they beat the P5 Florida Gators while they were a lowly FCS team the year before Fritz took over. You overestimate the Sun Belt as I am not convinced that they are any better than the Southern Conference that GSU played In before.

You are delusional if you think taking a 7-5 FCS team with a win over a SEC team to a 9-3 record overall record while playing in the undisputed worst conference in all of FBS is a better achievement than taking a 1-11 FBS team who suffered a record-setting loss to a FCS school at home and getting them to ten wins. I see now that with all the other bad that RV has done to you, he also shattered your judgment.

Maybe you should go back and look at that schedule Ga. St. Had when they went 7-5. Maybe you should look at those 5 losses and see who Ga. St. lost to.

I don't consider right around .500 records winning. I know being a UNT fan you probably do. So yes, those other places were hard to win at. And Fritz didn't just win, he went to national championship games.

We will see what happens. The odds are far more likely that we are looking for another coach in 3 or 4 years. Tulane may be also, but history says for an entirely different reason.

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 4

17 hours ago, Ole Green Guts said:

Let's face it men -

IT AINT THE X's and O's, ITS THE JIMMYS AND JOES!

+1

I've said this for a long time.  In CFB you win and lose on national signing day.  

It's no coincidence the most winning we have ever done since our return to the top division is at the exact same time DD and his staff where able to land double digit State Top 100s over a three year period.    Dodge and Mac landed one each during their tenures.   In addition DD was able to land top JUCO talent (Darrell Daniels, Mike Pruitt, Sky Pruitt, etc), and some very good talent out of state (Patrick Cobbs was a Oklahoma Top 30, Shawn Early was a Time Union Florida Top 40).

19 hours ago, FirefightnRick said:

Rick

Try hovering over the text that seems to stick in the quotes area. Press and hold the "CTRL" key. Right click the mouse. Then you can remove an unwanted lingering quote.

1 hour ago, Eagle-96 said:

Try hovering over the text that seems to stick in the quotes area. Press and hold the "CTRL" key. Right click the mouse. Then you can remove an unwanted lingering quote.

Thank you, but I'm on an iPhone so there's probably something not jiving with it and the site at the moment.  I usually have to post then delete to get rid of an accidental quote but it didn't work this time?

Rick

10 minutes ago, FirefightnRick said:

Thank you, but I'm on an iPhone so there's probably something not jiving with it and the site at the moment.  I usually have to post then delete to get rid of an accidental quote but it didn't work this time?

Rick

My iphone is doing the same thing. Only way I can delete is on the computer.