D Smith Time...

H-towngreen

let's see how he plays when he's getting all the practice reps like AM.

This. This is McCarney making sure he fails so he doesn't have to play him again. Give him no first team reps and then throw him to the wolves.

D Smith should be named starter after this game and get all the 1st team reps so we MIGHT have a QB for next year. 

But he won't, because DMac don't give a shit. 

• Upvote 7
  • Downvote 1

This. This is McCarney making sure he fails so he doesn't have to play him again. Give him no first team reps and then throw him to the wolves.

D Smith should be named starter after this game and get all the 1st team reps so we MIGHT have a QB for next year. 

True. Only with injury will we be forced to see a large dose of Smith.

To be honest Smith should just walk away from the team. He is being flat out disrespected. 

To be honest you have no idea

This just in:

I have no idea what I talk about so I'm in the wrong. I don't have sideline passes so I can't know. I'm just a glorified statistician who waste people's time. I'll stop now.  

Edited by Mean_Green09
  • Upvote 4
  • Downvote 2

This has to happen. Mac better not look back now. But we all know what's going to really happen. 

• Upvote 1

Smith seemed rough around the edges, but also found it interesting that they ran basically a completely different offense with him in - instead of the one that McNulty runs that seems to give him a better shot. Also we know what we have in McNulty and he is done after this year, time to figure out if Smith might be the answer for the next year...

The best qb we had is in Commerce right now because our head coach doesn't let freshman make freshman mistakes. He couldn't see that DW was trying so hard to win that he made some really stupid plays. He didn't use those as teachable moments, he just cast our most talented quarterback aside because he didn't "just take the sack" like his golden child does. DW had an arm as good as Smith's and was faster than any qb we've had since Riley. He would've been a RS Sophomore this year.With the proper coaching, having him as the starter in '16 and '17 would've looked pretty damn nice.

This season is toast, #5 shouldn't get any more reps outside of an appearance on senior day. We should put the top 3 or 4 quarterbacks that have eligibility left after this season out there each for one quarter. This will give us an opportunity to see who can be a gamer. I don't give a flying f who is the best in practice drills, I want to know who can elude pressure, scramble for a first down, and make throws on the run. If we do this, we have a small chance of being prepared at the qb position next year, anything short of this and we will be waiting on the next savior qb recruit that will never come here.

• Upvote 7
  • Downvote 2

Its been brought up several times already so I'll ask it again. Why does it seem as though we have different play calling when McNulty is in vs any other qb? We let AM throw from the pocket and stick to super conservative throws. 

to make the other qbs look bad? because AM can't make the same throws the others can?

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 2

Its been brought up several times already so I'll ask it again. Why does it seem as though we have different play calling when McNulty is in vs any other qb? We let AM throw from the pocket and stick to super conservative throws. 

maybe the coaches catering to the strength of the player vs one size fits all?

• Upvote 2

but it doesn't go with their (fill in the blank) doesn't know the playbook story. If that's so then why do they all have a more expansive playbook than McNulty 

Because they cant call plays that stretch the field with McNulty as the QB.

Would you rather have a guy that doesn't know the entire playbook, but can execute more of it?  
Or, would you rather have a guy that knows the playbook backwards & forwards but can only make 1/3 of the throws, so you can only call 1/3 of the pass plays for him

That's basically what you're stuck with here.

Because Mini isn't an FBS QB and doesn't have the arm strength to do a whole host of things. 

And everyone from the coaches to the fan base know it.

We need a ruthless disciplinarian like Strong here at North Texas.  

Hint:  That's sarcasm kids, if he can't win in a program with unlimited resources and its own damn television network, he should as hell wouldn't win here.

He did pretty good at Louisville though (37-15, 20-9), which was his first real head coach gig, so he can do fine at some places.

The Fox College Sports broadcasters were stating they weren't sure why McNulty was still out there when it appears this is a rebuilding season for us. I tend to agree, but my position has always been that I don't think we have a FBS Quarterback on this roster period. D-Smith looked very shaky, but if Mac is going to concede this season as lost (which he should) he might as well let someone besides a Senior get reps at QB. Don't expect a savior, we might be "rebuilding" this thing for a while yet. 

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

Again, there is a reason that Damarcus Smith ended up here, just as there was when Berglund got here. I'm sure they were just awesome as seniors in high school, but when you cannot get your act together academically or socially, you fall down the totem pole very quickly. You end up in jucos, trying to resuscitate your career. When you choose to come here, as a QB, its because you love the offense (?), you were sold something by Chico and the Gang, or you had no other options.

Look, it sucks to have this issue. The offense is terrible and boring. Unless you have a great OL and a steady busdriver at QB to hand off and throw about half a dozen times downfield to our actual receivers, not the other team, this thing isn't going to have a prayer of having a winning season ever. We had that in 2013, nothing close before or since...

Edited by untjim1995
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1