FIRE BENFORD

cdizzle86

He has other things to care about than some beer'ed up fan who doesn't know much about the game of basketball.

Like fixing his broken defense and offense.

Nobody said anything about caring more about feelings than wins. That's just your attempt to try spin things your way. Sorry that sometimes the fan can't see outside the box.

Disclaimer: Not a Benford advocate. Advocate for smart basketball fans.

If you are a smart basketball fan, then you realize the complete failure to compete against UTEP. You realize that they broke the hybrid 1-3-1/2-3 zone thingy UNT tried to run out there early in the game. You realize that we went from being a concensus pick to win the Sun Belt West last year to a 12 win team under Benford, killing momentum that this program had taken years to build.

You realize that this season has been a continuation of that disaster, with Benford either unable to recruit or develop talent. Take your pick, that is a coaching fault.

If you are a smart basketball fan, you realize these things.

Right?

• Upvote 1

Substitutions of a shirt time might be for rebounding scenarios during FT, or last 30 seconds of a half to avoid a late cheap foul on a starter. Or to get shooters out there to look for a spark. But his substitutions he time and time again pulls out the hot hand and that's what eats at me. On a struggling offensive team you don't just pull a guy that has scored 6 of the last 8 points for the sheer cause of resting him for the next 30 seconds until the next media timeout. It doesn't make sense, at all. As far as people not knowing basketball, it's not a complex sport. There are schemes inside of schemes, but none are hard to figure out and cipher by simply paying attention to the game.

Yes he is an awful hire..fax that over to the administration and AD. People are complaining bc he had one 4 game win streak against CUSA bottom feeders and it may have saved his job. Which is an absolute joke. If that saves his job than North Texas is not serious about winning so why in the hell should I or anyone care either? Why bother to care until they fire this clown and hire a competent proven coach to take over starting right after our 1st rd loss in El Paso?

If you are a smart basketball fan, then you realize the complete failure to compete against UTEP. You realize that they broke the hybrid 1-3-1/2-3 zone thingy UNT tried to run out there early in the game. You realize that we went from being a concensus pick to win the Sun Belt West last year to a 12 win team under Benford, killing momentum that this program had taken years to build.

You realize that this season has been a continuation of that disaster, with Benford either unable to recruit or develop talent. Take your pick, that is a coaching fault.

If you are a smart basketball fan, you realize these things.

Right?

Yes his 2-3 zone is a failure. Like I said before those who cant defend in man go to a zone in order to mask their weakness, but it doesn't matter. If you cant play defense then you cant play it there is no masking it. We have trouble with defensive rotation and help defense. A good ball movement team can easily shred a zone.

Last year was a huge disappointment and let down. It was part bad coaching and bad luck. Not many teams faced the injury plague that we did. Hard to get any kind of momentum rolling.

His ability to get production out of the big's has been the biggest let down in terms of development. Our guard play hasn't been great, but its been a lot better than last year.

And the bigs are all his recruits.

I really hope we get this cancer out of the program this year, although knowing UNT and their cheapness when it comes to getting rid if underperforming coaches, I'm sure he will be back next year.

And the fan base will further dwindle. And we will probably have a worse record. And I would bet even money we let Creighton out of the return game in Denton to avoid a home game butt stomping and replace them with another weak sister of the poor.

This program has truly been driven over the cliff in the last 2 years. The decent rate has been astonishing.

Will UNT do anything about it? Nope.

Edited by UNT90

Yes his 2-3 zone is a failure. Like I said before those who cant defend in man go to a zone in order to mask their weakness, but it doesn't matter. If you cant play defense then you cant play it there is no masking it. We have trouble with defensive rotation and help defense. A good ball movement team can easily shred a zone.

Last year was a huge disappointment and let down. It was part bad coaching and bad luck. Not many teams faced the injury plague that we did. Hard to get any kind of momentum rolling.

His ability to get production out of the big's has been the biggest let down in terms of development. Our guard play hasn't been great, but its been a lot better than last year.

What's your outlook towards next year's team? With 8 players back, including 4 starters (Alzee Williams the lone graduating starter), as well all of our posts back, and the potential additions of Wesley, Combs, Deandre Harris, Carrington Ward, and another player. Likely a JUCO PG.

You still have to hold your breath on all the players making it in, as that has been a major problem during the Benford era. Especially with a couple of those incoming guys having some grade hiccups in the past. But next year could be Benny's first full roster of 13 scholarship players eligible and healthy.

We should just replay the same posts after every loss.

I think Benford saved his job with the little 4 game winning streak. He should have been terminated last year, but that didn't happen. The coaching is better this year, but does anyone think Benford will ever return this program to the JJ level?

I see every Benford year as at best a wasted opportunity for NT to build a program.

Three cents: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hot-hand_fallacy

The substitution stuff is more of an indicator than a cause. Sitting behind the bench during the UTSA game didn't give me a view of a guy that was in control of the game. I don't mind histrionics, but it seemed more like he was just pulling levers because he think he is supposed to. I don't fault Benford for his system, his sub patterns or his antics, but if he wins or loses. Right now he loses a lot. Seems to me that he is having a hard time leading and teaching this team.

Also, the Woman pointed out that our guys don't look like they have any fun. Which is terrible.

• Upvote 1

The highest average attendance for men's basketball was 4,000 in J.J.'s last year, and has dropped to 2,500 in 2014.[numbers close enough for government work] I believe T.B. was a bad hire, and we should cut our loses. Having said that, if 1/3 of attendance is students, that gives you a paying fan base of about 1,700 or so. Not exactly a strong base, either in numbers or dollars. I don't know where the money would come from for a buy out nor to hire an experienced coach. In addition, we are losing money on the sport, and I don't see why anyone we would want would want us nor be affordable. Bottom line: we are an ugly eagle.

• Upvote 3

The highest average attendance for men's basketball was 4,000 in J.J.'s last year, and has dropped to 2,500 in 2014.[numbers close enough for government work] I believe T.B. was a bad hire, and we should cut our loses. Having said that, if 1/3 of attendance is students, that gives you a paying fan base of about 1,700 or so. Not exactly a strong base, either in numbers or dollars. I don't know where the money would come from for a buy out nor to hire an experienced coach. In addition, we are losing money on the sport, and I don't see why anyone we would want would want us nor be affordable. Bottom line: we are an ugly eagle.

The more you dig, the harder it is to get out of your hole.

Also,

It takes money to make money, right?

We were a very pretty eagle a mere 2 years ago.

Wait another couple of years and we may be a dead eagle.

We need to think like a mid-major program for a change.

• Upvote 1

Bought season tickets (which I still don't know why) but haven't been to a game yet this season. I just haven't been able to justify driving to Denton and watching this team where as before I would do whatever it took to make time and go see a game. May attend the last game to bid farewell to the Sr's who deserve it if work lets me.

• Upvote 3

Bought season tickets (which I still don't know why) but haven't been to a game yet this season. I just haven't been able to justify driving to Denton and watching this team where as before I would do whatever it took to make time and go see a game. May attend the last game to bid farewell to the Sr's who deserve it if work lets me.

This is the kind of post the AD should be most worried about.

• Upvote 2

I've normally tried to make around half of the games over the past few years, but this year I've only managed to drive the 80 mile round trip for three. Last season plus this year's start just took all the wind out of my sails. I too may try and make the last one just to say goodbye. That is if I can find someone not easily depressed who's interested enough in the game to accompany me.