Anybody catch RV on Channel 8?

Harry

My wife always watches the 10 pm news and she yelled at me, "Hey Rick Villarreal is on the news, hurry!"

Sure enough there was RV being interviewed and a real nice segment about UNT football getting top 25 votes! The good effects of this bowl win just won't stop! GMG!

My wife always watches the 10 pm news and she yelled at me, "Hey Rick Villarreal is on the news, hurry!"

Sure enough there was RV being interviewed and a real nice segment about UNT football getting top 25 votes! The good effects of this bowl win just won't stop! GMG!

our wives must be on the same cycle...i got the same announcement...hahah

• Upvote 1

I love Coach Mac and the Mean Green! Was on record of liking his hire from the git-go since he had the background of being HFC at a Big 12 school with some of us saying Year 3 would be "The Year" for him after some on this forum were ready to run him out of town after Year 2 but...

....to show how we thru the years have allowed ourselves to be dummied down with low expectation (until Coach DMac came along) I still offer this perspective: La Tech was in a Top 25 poll last year. W/O a shred of proof, I will still contend that Papa Spike Dykes campaigned across the country with his ol' coaching pals for his son's team to get the necessary votes to get in but fact still remains----they got in. Not sure how many CUSA coaches gave us votes, though, as Top 25 is still very much about coaching politics and who you know who will actually vote for your school.

Still, the votes we got are a good start. Top 25 has always been where many of us wanted our school to go to show true NCAA FBS level progress, but getting in and staying in the Top 25 a la Boise is where we really need to go with all this.

GMG!

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I saw two stories yesterday. One was about the new NCAA rule about transferring to another school to do graduate work and being able to finish out your eligibility and not having to sit out a year. They used two NT basketball players as an example and interviewed Coach Benson and RV.

They also had a story about North Texas getting two votes for the top 25, for which they interviewed RV. RV said that the last time we got top 25 votes was when (Emmitt and others who hate hearing references to a certain former coach should stop reading at this point) Hayden Fry was coach. He went on to point out that Hayden Fry was Dan McCarney's mentor when Coach Mac started his coaching career. So my take away from the last interview is GOOD THINGS HAPPEN AT NORTH TEXAS

WHEN YOU HAVE A HAYDEN FRY-LIKE COACH.

BTW Emmitt.....HAYDEN FRY, HAYDEN FRY, HAYDEN FRY, HAYDEN FRY..... :rolleyes:

Edited by SilverEagle
  • Upvote 2

I saw two stories yesterday. One was about the new NCAA rule about transferring to another school to do graduate work and being able to finish out your eligibility and not having to sit out a year. They used two NT basketball players as an example and interviewed Coach Benson and RV.

They also had a story about North Texas getting two votes for the top 25, for which they interviewed RV. RV said that the last time we got top 25 votes was when (Emmitt and others who hate hearing references to a certain former coach should stop reading at this point) Hayden Fry was coach. He went on to point out that Hayden Fry was Dan McCarney's mentor when Coach Mac started his coaching career. So my take away from the last interview is GOOD THINGS HAPPEN AT NORTH TEXAS

WHEN YOU HAVE A HAYDEN FRY-LIKE COACH.

BTW Emmitt.....HAYDEN FRY, HAYDEN FRY, HAYDEN FRY, HAYDEN FRY..... :rolleyes:

We had top 25 votes in 2002 as well.

• Upvote 1

We had top 25 votes in 2002 as well.

I thought we had some in '59 as well. In fact, I thought we made the top twenty that year. I can't believe we did not get any in Joe Greene's Junior and senior year. We were at least the 2nd or 3rd best football team in Texas in '68 and Arkansas considered us the best team outside of Texas they played that year during the regular season. They also considered Steve Ramsey the best quarterback they faced all year.