BREAKING NEWS: New UNT Stadium Naming Rights Sponsor

Harry

54 minutes ago, SteaminWillieBeamin said:

Admittedly, I am skimming the article, but is there a price announced?

They definitely touted the Apogee dollar amount when it was announced. 

I don't know if anyone ever knew the actual "dollar amount."  Most of it was toward some kind of on-campus service rather than actual dollars funding the stadium and/or the athletic department.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

8 hours ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

A local small business is great for advertising around the concourse, etc. What it's not great for are naming rights. I have to assume they will try to keep the specifics bogged down for as long as possible. It feels lazy. 

I hear what you’re saying but not every swing is going to be a home run. Curious to how long the deal is. Hoping every Datcu is basically a huge advertisement for UNT Athletics. 

It feels like something that works for now, if we win in the AAC maybe that changes  

• Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 1

3 hours ago, Mean Green 93-98 said:

I don't know if anyone ever knew the actual "dollar amount."  Most of it was toward some kind of on-campus service rather than actual dollars funding the stadium and/or the athletic department.

Much of the sponsorship was for on-campus ResNet services....

'Apogee is the nation’s largest provider of on-campus residential networks (ResNet) for higher education. Since 2008, Apogee has successfully partnered with UNT to manage the student ResNet for the residential community on the UNT campus.'

"The $20 million (Apogee) deal is the second largest naming-rights agreement for college football stadiums to date."

https://northtexan.unt.edu/issues/university-north-texas-and-apogee-unveil-new-apogee-stadium

Edited by NT80
  • Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, DentonLurker said:

Pretty sure I remember them saying the net to Athletics was $1M cash per year and the “in kind” portion was above and beyond that.

No! We never received anything close to $1 million a year. Smoke and Mirrors.

Details of UNT's stadium-naming-rights deal with Apogee | News | News from Fort Worth, D... (archive.org)

• Upvote 3
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, DentonLurker said:

I’m curious why you feel this way. Outside of UNT/Denton circles, does anyone really even care? I’ve never once worried about the naming sponsor of another team.

Nationally recognized compaines with a national reach would garner more money for the right to have their name plastered all over one of the largest freeway intersections in the state of Texas. My bet is we will get something similar +/- than what Apogee paid for naming rights. 12 years later, that doesn't bode well. Given a formal announcement has happened now and zero mention of what the financials are tells the tale. It's lazy. It's the "hometown" thing to do. It's small minded. If the University of North Texas legitimately exhausted their options, did a nationally search and DATCU was our best financial offer then so be it. God help us, but so be it. 

• Upvote 4
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 2
  • Puking Eagle 2

24 minutes ago, MCMLXXX said:

No! We never received anything close to $1 million a year. Smoke and Mirrors.

Details of UNT's stadium-naming-rights deal with Apogee | News | News from Fort Worth, D... (archive.org)

57 minutes ago, DentonLurker said:

Pretty sure I remember them saying the net to Athletics was $1M cash per year and the “in kind” portion was above and beyond that.

Apogee will make 20 annual cash payments to UNT starting at $312,000 and ending in three $1 million installments. The value of the annual in-kind contributions starts at $280,000 this year and ends at $573,961 at year 20.

• Upvote 1

59 minutes ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

Nationally recognized compaines with a national reach would garner more money for the right to have their name plastered all over one of the largest freeway intersections in the state of Texas. My bet is we will get something similar +/- than what Apogee paid for naming rights. 12 years later, that doesn't bode well. Given a formal announcement has happened now and zero mention of what the financials are tells the tale. It's lazy. It's the "hometown" thing to do. It's small minded. If the University of North Texas legitimately exhausted their options, did a nationally search and DATCU was our best financial offer then so be it. God help us, but so be it. 

I have no clue of other offers or even the exact number for this offer. But when dealing with these kind of transactions, there is more to it than just monetary gains. I think North Texas main goal, The next few years is to really get the city of Denton behind the athletic program, what better way to do that than to get a business that is deeply rooted in the Denton community. Just for hypothetical say Budweiser offered an extra million dollars a year. I think, going with the local business if it helps benefit getting the community behind the program will have a larger impact in the long run.

• Upvote 6
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

My thoughts as well. If numbers aren't a lead-off then that tells me they're not necessarily excited to announce them but I hope I'm wrong.

@TheReal_jayD does however make a decent point that getting Denton's backing could have greater impact than the on paper dollar value, depending on how much more of course. In CSU's deal with their local credit union, the following was included: 

"the June 1 release of the Rams+ credit card, which helps Colorado State fans build up points toward benefits across campus, multiplied when used for purchases with select merchants on CSU's campus, donating to the CSU Foundation or using the card to become a CSU Alumni Association member or renewing membership."

I'm not in favor of issuing college students credit cards and I'm generally against them for myself but that type of rewards offerings for spending money with the university plus the naming rights money would be huge. I'll wait and see after my initial pessimism.

Edited by GMG_Dallas
  • Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, greenjoe said:

I wonder what role the company hired to search out a naming sponsor played.  And, I wonder if we found DATCU on our own, if we owe that company a commission.

Is it   DAT “QUE” or   DAT “COO” ?

With the recent video the AD just posted, they were all pronouncing it Dat-Que.

1 hour ago, greenminer said:

Apogee will make 20 annual cash payments to UNT starting at $312,000 and ending in three $1 million installments. The value of the annual in-kind contributions starts at $280,000 this year and ends at $573,961 at year 20.

Huge thanks to you and @MCMLXXX digging out the info. Wow that way below what I thought the "$1M a year" deal would be. I hope UNT got a nice chunk of chance for them breaking the contract 10 years early. 

Edited by Green Otaku
  • Upvote 2

43 minutes ago, TheReal_jayD said:

I have no clue of other offers or even the exact number for this offer. But when dealing with these kind of transactions, there is more to it than just monetary gains. I think North Texas main goal, The next few years is to really get the city of Denton behind the athletic program, what better way to do that than to get a business that is deeply rooted in the Denton community. Just for hypothetical say Budweiser offered an extra million dollars a year. I think, going with the local business if it helps benefit getting the community behind the program will have a larger impact in the long run.

Reading the press release and the names they used to conduct a national search for a naming partner I'm confident they got the best deal. Being in the much more visible AAC I'm sure they had some other national brands interested. 

One other thing about the press release is it mentions that DATCU has 100k members, if DATCU is 100% in for promoting UNT that's 100k people they can market games to via letters, discounts, a perk program, etc. 

• Upvote 5

2 minutes ago, greenminer said:

It's weird how concerned y'all are with the stadium name.

I guess we should all just be glad is wasn't the Denton Area Shoe Makers Union that had a couple hundred extra bucks to spare.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1
  • Eye Roll 1