Brigham Young (12/3/13)

CMJ

Yeah I'm upset. Not from losing but from a lack of basic fundamentals such as running an actual offense, transition defense, and honestly a lack of effort at times. As I said earlier, whether it's coaching or players not responding it falls on the coach.

This, this and more this.

• Upvote 1

325 out of 350 teams in assists per game.

Y'know...

I hesitate to point this out...

Because I don't think he'd be playing much here anyway...

But...

Trey Norris is leading South Dakota in time on the floor, averaging 31 minutes per game and has a 5.7 to 1 Assist to Turnover ratio.

He has 37 assists through 6 games. Through our first 6 games, we had a total of 55 assists as a team, and that's with a double overtime game included.

Spot on.

Also, in the event that we keep Benford past next year, who on God's green earth has any idea what our roster will look like? We have 7 juniors and 3 seniors on this roster. At the rate Benford is losing his recruits there is no way to even begin to project who will be on the team in a couple of years.

Having to rely on him getting his guys in here to fill up the roster is what concerns me the most.

He has always been hard pressed to get recruits on campus (not transfers). We may end up with 5-7 juniors every year bennyvia here. Of course all of them will be a perimeter player since he neither wants to nor can recruit big men.

This will be a god awful mess for the next coach to clean up. I just hope that coach arrives before Benford finishes off what's left of the fan base.

He has always been hard pressed to get recruits on campus (not transfers). We may end up with 5-7 juniors every year bennyvia here. Of course all of them will be a perimeter player since he neither wants to nor can recruit big men.

This will be a god awful mess for the next coach to clean up. I just hope that coach arrives before Benford finishes off what's left of the fan base.

You're completely right. I feel like we get outrebounded in 80% or more of our games and that will just continue to happen.

Y'know...

I hesitate to point this out...

Because I don't think he'd be playing much here anyway...

But...

Trey Norris is leading South Dakota in time on the floor, averaging 31 minutes per game and has a 5.7 to 1 Assist to Turnover ratio.

He has 37 assists through 6 games. Through our first 6 games, we had a total of 55 assists as a team, and that's with a double overtime game included.

Benford didn't need him. He has ... er ... had PJ Hardwick!

We are 16th in the nation in rebounds. What are you even talking about!?!?!?

He's talking about the fact that, even though we're playing a pretty godawful schedule, and even though our per-game numbers are skewed by that double overtime game against Portland... Our opponents are scooping up a lot of rebounds.

Despite the D-2 transitional, NAIA, Southland-heavy murderer's row we've been competing against on the boards... If you took all our opponents rebounds and averaged them out as though "North Texas Opponent" were one team, then Incarnate Young of Southeastern Okla-lumbia-daho-land-wood State would be averaging 40.8 rebounds per game. 37th in the country, right behind North Carolina and just ahead of USC.

He's talking about the fact that, even though we're playing a pretty godawful schedule, and even though our per-game numbers are skewed by that double overtime game against Portland... Our opponents are scooping up a lot of rebounds.

Despite the D-2 transitional, NAIA, Southland-heavy murderer's row we've been competing against on the boards... If you took all our opponents rebounds and averaged them out as though "North Texas Opponent" were one team, then Incarnate Young of Southeastern Okla-lumbia-daho-land-wood State would be averaging 40.8 rebounds per game. 37th in the country, right behind North Carolina and just ahead of USC.

I do not see the complaint here. Focus on the lack of an offensive game or the lack of hustle to get back on defense. Rebounding right now is the least of our worries... Edited by Andrew
  • Upvote 1

I do not see the complaint here. Focus on the lack of an offensive game or the lack of hustle to get back on defense. Rebounding right now is the least of our worries...

I've never seen a poster like you struggle to find ammo. FWIW, you're not really the one to blame.

Edited by greenminer
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Also, when you shoot as badly as we do, there are LOTS of rebounding opportunities.

Lots.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

I am not sure, among all the other things that need to be "tidied up", that rebounds is the one to point out. Considering your stat that our opponents average 40.8 RPG, then we would have, on average, beat all of them with 42.9 RPG thus far this season.

(we are also top third of the country in rebound margin).

Edited by andrewrozell
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I am not sure, among all the other things that need to be "tidied up", that rebounds is the one to point out. Considering your stat that our opponents average 40.8 RPG, then we would have, on average, beat all of them with 42.9 RPG thus far this season.

(we are also top third of the country in rebound margin).

You will learn very quickly we have some very smug embers who think they know everything and enjoy letting everyone know it by listing "stats" and critiquing grammar. Keep setting up a straw man... In better news at least the players and coaches we have a bunch of negative fans who do not support. That always helps with recruiting. Said no one ever.

Let's focus on this. Obviously we are not where we wan to. We will have Benford as our coach for a while. We know he can recruit and he has has the talent around him to be successful (both in coaches and players). How about we try supporting the team. Players and coaches. This season I have tried to do both. Sure both groups needs some work but it's pretty clear we have the talent to win. Let's cheer them on and hope it translates to win. Either way basketball is the best sport in the land and win or lose it's an awful lot of fun to watch.

• Upvote 1

You will learn very quickly we have some very smug embers who think they know everything and enjoy letting everyone know it by listing "stats" and critiquing grammar. Keep setting up a straw man... In better news at least the players and coaches we have a bunch of negative fans who do not support. That always helps with recruiting. Said no one ever.

Let's focus on this. Obviously we are not where we wan to. We will have Benford as our coach for a while. We know he can recruit and he has has the talent around him to be successful (both in coaches and players). How about we try supporting the team. Players and coaches. This season I have tried to do both. Sure both groups needs some work but it's pretty clear we have the talent to win. Let's cheer them on and hope it translates to win. Either way basketball is the best sport in the land and win or lose it's an awful lot of fun to watch.

How exactly do we know that Benford can recruit?

Living in Kentucky for 40 years, I have watched way too much basketball over the years. Instantly recognizable what the problem is. The short of it is this. North Texas has very little talent. Just got there ass handed to them (really 30 points) by 5 mormon white boys. Really no reason to watch this team again.

Sure NT will win some more games; but expect some embarrassing games for NT in the near future. NT should recruite out of state (East of the MS River) and stop accepting the losing. Accept nothing short of top 50 or 60 every year to start.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

How exactly do we know that Benford can recruit?

Wesley and Combs are just as sold as Jordan Williams. He has also brought in some solid players from bigger name programs (Vaughn's, Gaines, and Taylor). He also managed to keep the Core guys we had (Alzee, CJ, and Jordan). I still have faith that he can turn into more then just a glorified recruiter. He has shown that he can and then shown that he cannot. We were suppose to lose to BYU I expected to lose by 20 and would have expected the same if we had JJ and Mitchell on the team. BYU in Utah is a whole other beast. They play as a team and just seem to tear it up. Now if we lose to any other team besides A&M before conference play then there is some reason to be concerned. Our record is just one game off of what I thought it would be. I has us losing to BYU, Oklahoma, and Portland only. Pretty close for me.

• Upvote 1

Wesley and Combs are just as sold as Jordan Williams. He has also brought in some solid players from bigger name programs (Vaughn's, Gaines, and Taylor). He also managed to keep the Core guys we had (Alzee, CJ, and Jordan). I still have faith that he can turn into more then just a glorified recruiter. He has shown that he can and then shown that he cannot. We were suppose to lose to BYU I expected to lose by 20 and would have expected the same if we had JJ and Mitchell on the team. BYU in Utah is a whole other beast. They play as a team and just seem to tear it up. Now if we lose to any other team besides A&M before conference play then there is some reason to be concerned. Our record is just one game off of what I thought it would be. I has us losing to BYU, Oklahoma, and Portland only. Pretty close for me.

Pulling in one year transfers isn't an example of strong recruiting in my book. Certainly not when they and other transfers become the core of your class. Wesley isn't playing this year. Benford hasn't gotten and kept high school recruits, all his moves smacks of a man clutching at straws because he doesn't know what he is doing/has no plan.

Pulling in one year transfers isn't an example of strong recruiting in my book. Certainly not when they and other transfers become the core of your class. Wesley isn't playing this year. Benford hasn't gotten and kept high school recruits, all his moves smacks of a man clutching at straws because he doesn't know what he is doing/has no plan.

If/when Combs and Wesley suit up next season it will all look much better. Two solid freshman who by their sophomore year could start. (Though they both bring a similar skill set and most likely play the same position).

Edited by Andrew
  • Upvote 1