Rice Fans Post Game Thoughts

Harry

This game shows in a nutshell the failures in the Bailiff era. Here we are, a senior laden team in a diminished conference, playing a team which was on the bottom a few short years ago. But with an experienced disciplined coach, they made us look inept. With our supposedly improved recruiting, we were clobbered physically. We continued to run play after play into the strength of their defense and ignored downfield passing until it was too late.

Look folks, we''ll go to another mediocre bowl but forget a CUSA championship. We've sunk down to where we won't win even this conference.

read more: http://csnbbs.com/showthread.php?tid=658038

Reminds me of the reaction by the Ball State fans after that game. I feel like both those teams/fans went into that game feeling like they were superior and after losing they felt like it was because they played a bad game.

I am biased, but I really feel like we beat Rice and Ball State and made them play their "worst" game of the year because we are better than them.

Always fun to frustrate opposing fans and beat them so bad that they think the sky is falling.

• Upvote 1

I think his name was OldOwl? Yes, he used the same word repeatedly. Kept talking about his couch. We got a Crate and Barrel one brand new, for free, with down filling and everything. He needs to trade up.

I think his name was OldOwl? Yes, he used the same word repeatedly. Kept talking about his couch. We got a Crate and Barrel one brand new, for free, with down filling and everything. He needs to trade up.

Hey, a wise old owl would just go get him a new free couch, and quit complaining. Eh, it just bothers me when people, myself included, see everything bad in a game as their players/coaches/AD/Admin/band/cheerleaders/fans didn't do. It couldn't be something their opponent did.

Just a few of the gems:

The better team did not win but that is why you play the game. You could easily tell who was a better/more talented team in the 1H.

But tonight Rice beat Rice in coaching, in TO's, in offense, and in ST.

No they are not a "fairly senior laden team.

I get they're upset at losing, but wow. Surely they are smarter than that.

• Upvote 2

(Yesterday 10:09 PM)owl40 Wrote:

I feel like ECU after the Tulane game. The better team did not win but that is why you play the game. You could easily tell who was a better/more talented team in the 1H.

We held them to ~250 yds of offense. We out-gained them by over 100 yds.

As I had said on earlier post(s), it comes down to holds onto the ball. We had 3 turnovers (1 for an easy TD) and they had one. That was the difference.

Ross had over 100 yards and we had more than 7 First downs. D played great. O played OK. We lost on ST and not being able to even push the TO battle.

McH made two mistakes but overall was a warrior. He played a good game. Not on him. We continue to have drops at WR that hurt. OL did not put their best effort forward tonight.

Some bad play calling by Reagan but overall in a close game, you have to get TO's or not give them to other team. That is what happened tonight. In a close/even game, we gave them 14 points on a punt return and a easy TD.

I still think we win the West but just made it a harder path. Congrats to NT. They are an improved team and play very hard (esp at home). But tonight Rice beat Rice in coaching, in TO's, in offense, and in ST.

Here's the full post of what Rudy was referencing.

I think sour grapes may be my new favorite fruit.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't UNT also a fairly senior laden team currently in a diminished conference who played tonight against a team which was on bottom a few short years ago?

Ummm...What?

There was certainly no clearly better team, and if there was, it sure as heck wasn't the team that lost by 2 TD's.

Edited by oldguystudent

I think these teams are as evenly matched as any in CUSA and I do think this game could have gone either way. I do have concerns about our offensive production -- 200-something yards isn't going to cut it. But with our defense playing the way it has... we can feel pretty good about the remaining 3 games on the schedule.

Comparing stats is a loser's game. It should be fairly obvious that McCarney sit on the ball most of the second half and it worked well. I think NT could have passed them into oblivion in the second half as they continue to crowd the line of scrimmage, but why chance it. Also if you are going to play the stats game, you might want to include the so called hidden yardage that doesn't show up in the offensive yardage. Add in a long fumble recovery and the returns and that stat edge for Rice disappears.

Rice has a good team they just got beat by a better one.

Honestly, they just sound a little butthurt. Nothing to see here.

Lots of butthurt.

The one comment about how "the best team didn't win" was some BS. They didn't lose because of some random penalty or because the refs robbed them. Rice lost because they depended too much on one RB behind an OL that couldn't consistently block for him nor for the QB. They lost because they couldn't lock down our rushing attack and because they couldn't execute on special teams.

They didn't have the best team. They might have had the better rushing attack, and a stout enough defense, but that doesn't stack up against an equal rushing attack, better passing, a scoring defense and a scoring special teams.

• Upvote 1