Who Says Local Guys Won't Play for UNT?

KRAM1

Seems the old line that local kids won't play for North Texas is getting a run for its money with Coach Mac and company...maybe this experience coupled with the effects of Apogee and a new attitude around all of UNT overall is beginning to show some positive results with the "locals".....check out the 2014 committed list to date. Nine players with six of the nine from the DFW area...way cool! Here's hoping this trend continues.

Fonzale Davis -wr-South Oak Cliff

Chris Miles-ol-Lewisville

Johnavhon Grahm-de-DeSoto

Shaq Jackson-DT-DeSoto

Brandon Garner-lb-Mansfield Timberview

Jalen Montgomery-lb-Mesquite

Looking good for the locals, and seems to be stacking up as a pretty darn nice class of recruits!

• Upvote 7

Seems the old line that local kids won't play for North Texas is getting a run for its money with Coach Mac and company...maybe this experience coupled with the effects of Apogee and a new attitude around all of UNT overall is beginning to show some positive results with the "locals".....check out the 2014 committed list to date. Nine players with six of the nine from the DFW area...way cool! Here's hoping this trend continues.

Shaq Jackson-DT-DeSoto

Looking good for the locals, and seems to be stacking up as a pretty darn nice class of recruits!

I think most people who complain about 'locals' not coming to UNT are talking about Denton/Lake Dallas kids not coming to UNT.

We've always had DFW-area talent coming to UNT, just not Denton-area talent. Hopefully they start looking at us a little more now.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

The only reason those guys committed, is because they want to stay close to home but neither SMU or TCU offered so they had to settle for UNT.

Or maybe they just preferred a closer to home university with a more diversified and ecletic environment that was just not way too much lilly white for them? I can say that since I'm white; actually I'm probably more a shade of beige than white; but the real world out there is all about being around diversity and they will get more of that at UNT than other places.

And with our main campus in Denton which would also give a UNT athlete on scholarship a great foundation for which to transfer course credits designed to make such a transfer a bit more easy toward post-grad programs at the UNT Law School or, uh, over near your fine, little privates school the UNT Health Science Center or a program designed to make them full-fledged Doctors of Osteopathy (D.O's), or they'd have a choice to major in a program that would give them job choices as a high ranking hospital administrator and finally they could transfer from UNT with the core curriculum under their belts to even become a pharmacist because of the new UNT Pharmacy School. * Latest word on the street is that an M.D. program is now on the UNTHSC's master plan, too, and will soon enough be up for vote with the Texas legislature. And apparently we are going to need many more doctors in this country and quite soon, too.

Not sure they could get anything close to all the aforementioned by going to schools with such a limited curriculum if you know what I mean.

And (once again) back to your beloved TCU? (And on the subject are yall going to be purple this year or blue which suddenly popped up on your teams unis & as your school's apparent new colors a few years ago)? (Yall really need to make a decision as to what your school's officials teams colors truly are at some point, right)?

But Back To The Subject of TCU:

Your school will become what some used to call yall back in the SWC's last quarter century of operations as...............Those (close to or in the) Celler-Dwellin' TCU Horned Frogs! Mark it because yall are now swimming with the Big 12 sharks who are known to injest little insignificat tadpoles such as TCU thru their nostrils. :crazysmile:

Have A Nice Day! :)

Addendum: At North Texas a football player will have dramatically more opportunities of winning conference football championship and who knows maybe even a BCS bowl bustin' kind of bowl like Orange Bowl bound Northern Illinois did last year. At TCU? Not so much and I simply defer to Baylor U as proof of that as in....how many Big 12 football championships have the Bears won lately since their 1'st year in the Big 12? :)

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 2

The only reason those guys committed, is because they want to stay close to home but neither SMU or TCU offered so they had to settle for UNT.

I really don't understand why this type of comment is even necessary. I can only assume that NT football broke your heart at some point in the past. And, by claiming to be a TCU fan, you continue to bash our school to vent your frustrations. What other reason would you have for hanging out on this board, when you could be with your peers getting excited about the upcoming Big 12 season.

You must secretly admire all of us here. I'll take that as a compliment, even if it is the only one we will ever get from you.

• Upvote 1

Imagine my surprise to find out that Lewisville and Flower Mound are neither "local" to Denton. Learn something every day. Having lived in Denton since 1965 (after moving from Dallas) I have always considered the DFW metroplex as "local". Since Lewisville, Flower Mound, Carrollton, Sanger, Pilot Point, etc. are not considered "local", I guess we now define local as Denton HS, Denton Guyer, Ryan HS and Lake Dallas. Oddly, Lake Dallas is included.

OK, if that is the definition for this group, we can go with that...let the "local kids won't play here" bandwagon roll since it is such a small "local".

Dang that Coach Mac...doesn't recruit local kids...but, he sure is making some inroads in those far far away places like Lewisville and Flower Mound! Travel expense for recruiting those guys must have been massive!

:zoro:

Just having a little geographical fun here fellas....

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Imagine my surprise to find out that Lewisville and Flower Mound are neither "local" to Denton. Learn something every day. Having lived in Denton since 1965 (after moving from Dallas) I have always considered the DFW metroplex as "local". Since Lewisville, Flower Mound, Carrollton, Sanger, Pilot Point, etc. are not considered "local", I guess we now define local as Denton HS, Denton Guyer, Ryan HS and Lake Dallas. Oddly, Lake Dallas is included.

OK, if that is the definition for this group, we can go with that...let the "local kids won't play here" bandwagon roll since it is such a small "local".

Dang that Coach Mac...doesn't recruit local kids...but, he sure is making some inroads in those far far away places like Lewisville and Flower Mound! Travel expense for recruiting those guys must have been massive!

I'm not as old as you, :lol: but I certainly agree.

I don't have a problem with guys like Mario Edwards not signing with UNT just because he's from Denton, I was just trying to explain what I understood from others when they complain about 'local' talent not staying in Denton and Denton's neighbors (I just threw in Lake Dallas, since they seem to churn out D-1 talent every year, but they don't seem to want to go to UNT either). I don't think anyone complained that we never get DFW talent to UNT.

• Upvote 1

It didn't take me nearly that long to figure out people were being specific to Denton players.

Somebody get this old man a beer! ;)

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

It didn't take me nearly that long to figure out people were being specific to Denton players.

Somebody get this old man a beer! ;)

How about several beers? But, since you missed the whole geographical fun thing you might not be old enough to buy beer!

Where can I meet you to pick up that six-pack. How about making it Goose Island 312? I won't have to share it with Thor as he doesn't care for wheat beers. Pity the lad.

Somebody get greenminor a lemonade!

• Upvote 1

How about several beers? But, since you missed the whole geographical fun thing you might not be old enough to buy beer!

Where can I meet you to pick up that six-pack. How about making it Goose Island 312? I won't have to share it with Thor as he doesn't care for wheat beers. Pity the lad.

Somebody get greenminor a lemonade!

I like their ipa...but wheat brew is no Buenos...

Shaq Jackson-DT-DeSoto

This is the most positive news coming out of the football program in a while. And I think its a great reflection of Coach McCarney's enthusiasm and experience in connecting with people. It takes a while to get Texas high school coaches on your side--they have lots of people coming their way from lots of schools in the state and out. But once you do, it can make a huge difference in your recruiting. A winning season this year under McCarney would be like a vitamin shot to our recruiting. If we fall back, though, I suspect that our recruits we have recently received verbals from will change their minds between now and signing day if we have another 4-8 season or worse this year.