New UNT Commit - Brandon Garner, Mansfield Timberview

Harry

https://twitter.com/YoSoyJoseCafe/status/362727452872679424

• 3 months later...

As silly as it sounds, that opening moment of them coming out of the "tunnel" shows that he has somel leadership in him. It'll be interesting to see if he ends up at S or LB. I think he's a little slow for S and will have to put on weight for LB

I agree, it does. He sounds very passionate about football and committed from following him on twitter.

He fits the mold of Mccarney outside linebackers. Think guys like Sed Ellis, Jamal Marshall, and even Will Wright who he did not recruit. Not huge linebackers, but sideline to sideline guys who can cover as well.

Edited by BillySee58
  • Upvote 1

Billy I am glad you mentioned Jamal Marshall. I am excited to see him and Calvin Minor in the coming years and what they can contribute. UNT is no longer lacking guys who can flat out make plays on Defense at LB.

Billy I am glad you mentioned Jamal Marshall. I am excited to see him and Calvin Minor in the coming years and what they can contribute. UNT is no longer lacking guys who can flat out make plays on Defense at LB.

Yeah, they will provide solid depth at least. They're speedy guys who are built perfectly for special teams as well with their size and speed.

I'm glad the days where half our recruiting classes or more transfer, quit, or never make it in. Marc's bringing them in, keeping them, and developing them. We're here for the long haul.

• Upvote 1

Its always amazing how they only show a kids highlights. (None from their game against Cedar Hill, 2 plays against Desoto and none against Euless Trinity) I'm glad to see that the kid did show up in some games as I didn't see him make any plays in 3 games. He also a missed a tackle that led to a long Trinity touchdown run last week. Hope he turns into a player.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Yep, did we ever find out about the big guy who was wearing #73 ( I believe) on the sidelines?? Also can we expect Chad Davis to see a lot more of Chad Davis next year on D?

His last name is Clayton, and that's about all there is that can be found about him.

Chad Davis has some speed, but he's probably going to be behind the same guys next year as he was this year, with Buyers, Jones, and Whitfield all back. Hope he pushes them in spring though.

Its always amazing how they only show a kids highlights. (None from their game against Cedar Hill, 2 plays against Desoto and none against Euless Trinity) I'm glad to see that the kid did show up in some games as I didn't see him make any plays in 3 games. He also a missed a tackle that led to a long Trinity touchdown run last week. Hope he turns into a player.

That's why it's called a HIGHlight film. The players pick the plays and their coaches cut it up for them.

Cooley, I respect your knowledge and your insight, but you've been trolling hard this recruiting year. You've been saying a lot of negative and very little positive. If we had half as many people in the recruiting forum as the football forum, you'd get blasted about saying negative things when recruits and their parents read these boards.

You said there was no way South Oak Cliff would make any noise in the playoffs because of their ugly win against Mansfield Summit earlier in the year, yet they went 11-2 and made it to the third round. You also said Fonzale Davis was the 2nd best receiver on his team, yet he had over twice as many catches and over three times as many yards as JF Thomas, the guy you said was SOC's best receiver.

You also said DeSoto didn't have the defense to make a deep run and they'd lose to a team like Coppell or Allen. Yet they're now 13-0 after beating Coppell.

You don't have to say all these players are going to be future all-conference guys for us, but you also don't have to blast them and say things like "Can someone remind me why we offered Brandon Garner?" Again, the insight is appreciated, just be careful not to go to far when criticizing these kids.

Edited by BillySee58
  • Upvote 2

His last name is Clayton, and that's about all there is that can be found about him.

Chad Davis has some speed, but he's probably going to be behind the same guys next year as he was this year, with Buyers, Jones, and Whitfield all back. Hope he pushes them in spring though.

Is it Clayton or Clayborn? There has been a kid named Clayborn on the sidelines all year.

That's why it's called a HIGHlight film. The players pick the plays and their coaches cut it up for them.

Cooley, I respect your knowledge and your insight, but you've been trolling hard this recruiting year. You've been saying a lot of negative and very little positive. If we had half as many people in the recruiting forum as the football forum, you'd get blasted about saying negative things when recruits and their parents read these boards.

You said there was no way South Oak Cliff would make any noise in the playoffs because of their ugly win against Mansfield Summit earlier in the year, yet they went 11-2 and made it to the third round. You also said Fonzale Davis was the 2nd best receiver on his team, yet he had over twice as many catches and over three times as many yards as JF Thomas, the guy you said was SOC's best receiver.

You also said DeSoto didn't have the defense to make a deep run and they'd lose to a team like Coppell or Allen. Yet they're now 13-0 after beating Coppell.

You don't have to say all these players are going to be future all-conference guys for us, but you also don't have to blast them and say things like "Can someone remind me why we offered Brandon Garner?" Again, the insight is appreciated, just be careful not to go to far when criticizing these kids.

JF Thomas is a better receiver than Fonzale Davis. Not negative but a fact. Check back with me next year to see if he receives a higher profile scholarship (than North Texas) I don't rely on stats or third party rating systems to form opinions of players. I also stated that Fonzale was a nice pickup when he committed. I saw 7 SOC games this year. and about the same amount last year. I am a 1972 graduate of SOC and have followed the program since my soph year. JF Thomas didn't play football last year; where Fonzale; was the only returning WR. Most of Davis' yards came from the bubble screen that was open all year. Thomas concentrated on basketball where he would be a good UNT recruit for Benford. I never said Fonzale couldn't play. I can't, however, proclaim him to be the next UNT Hall of Famer when I see him drop key passes game after game. (Stats don't reflect this) SOC did exactly what I thought they would do. They had more talent than anyone else they played this year. (approx. 10 D1's over the next 2 years) They beat a 3rd place team in the opening round (DISD school) and played great against Frisco Centennial. They turned around and gave up 63 points to a Wylie team losing by 3 touchdowns against an inferior team. Thank God they won't play Highland Park next weekend where it would really get ugly.

SOC also lost to a decent Carter team to finish 2nd in the district. Carter was blown out by a 3rd place Lincoln team in the first round. Losing in the 3rd round is not "making noise in the playoffs" They were, at one time ranked #10 in the state. My exact words, if I can remember correctly, were if they play like they played against Summit they would not do anything in the playoffs.

I have followed Desoto for a number of years now. (Saw about 6 or 7 games this year) I said, and still believe, that Desoto does not have a championship defense to win a state title. That is the goal for the program. Desoto has had over 100 D1's over the past 10 years. They were behind by 10 points late in their game against Coppell because of an average defense (and bad coaching) I never said that they would lose to Coppell. I may have said that they could lose to Coppell. The road to a state title goes through Allen. They can score on anyone but their defense will not stop Allen.

As for recruiting, why is every commit "a great get for North Texas"? If I don't agree that everyone is a steal, how is that being negative? I have followed NTSU/UNT recruiting for about 38 years now. Go back as far as you'd like and you will see a familiar pattern where every recruit is a stud! If a kid is undersize, not a problem. The coaches will put 20-30 pounds on them. If a kid is too slow, the strength coach will increase their speed. If a kid has no other offers, no problem, we must trust in our coaches. I call them like I see them. If you look hard enough, you may find some posts were I was extremely pleased with some recruits.

RJ Bond is the recruiting coordinator/Asst. Coach @ South Oak Cliff. Prior to SOC, he held a similar position at Skyline. RJ's chief job is to get every kid a scholarship. He has a HUDL for each kid that he sends to every college; with weekly updates on what the kid did positive each week I understand this process very well.

My sole purpose in reading a message boards is to learn facts about the team and players. I can do without most opinions, especially when they are based, in part, on "made for recruiting videos". Your point is well taken though. I get that mosts fans only want to read feel good stories and posts.

• Upvote 4