Louisiana Monroe (1/5/13)

CMJ

Just beat bad by a 2-8 team at home, just when you think it could not get any worse.

We can spend the time arguing what the problems are:

Injuries

A coaching staff without a clue

Lack of talent

Players that don't care

Overrated team

I have come to the conclusion all of the above are factors and it doesn't really matter how you weight them, this team is the biggest disaster I have seen in many decades of following NT sports.

• Upvote 1

Just beat bad by a 2-8 team at home, just when you think it could not get any worse.

We can spend the time arguing what the problems are:

Injuries

A coaching staff without a clue

Lack of talent

Players that don't care

Overrated team

I have come to the conclusion all of the above are factors and it doesn't really matter how you weight them, this team is the biggest disaster I have seen in many decades of following NT sports.

Worse than Dodge?

Worse than Dodge?

I was referring to the team's performance versus expectations and I can't think of anything close.

The closest and in some ways may be like this situation. Hayden Fry left a 10 win team with almost everyone back. NT hired Jerry Moore who tired to implement a 4 yard and a cloud of dust offense similar to Nebraska in those days. Many of Fry's players who started and played well found themselves on the bench and the team was basically a .500 club. That team was definitely a disappointment, but nowhere near this years MBB team.

Many are comparing Trilli, Dodge and Benford; probably prematurely. Trilli, although I think he did some reprehensible things, was probably a better coach than he is given credit. He bought into Helwig,s crazy scheme, to finance the bb program by playing guaranteed games and never had a change in the early years. Then he lost all creditability and played the last couple of seasons with a much easier schedule but he couldn't find any players who wanted any part of the situation

Dodge was a "Hail Mary" on the part of RV and NT, IMO he didn't tear the program down any further than it was; he just did not advance it. A loss of a critical 4 years.

Benford has demonstrated that he like Dodge was not really for prime time. The problem is that like Trilli, I think he is in the process of digging such a hole in his first year that the odds are that he will never get out of it.

Worse than Dodge?

To me, yes. I was not happy or proud when Dodge was the coach, but his teams lacked talent from the start. This is a complete embarrassment on so many levels. I had probably at least listened to every game the last 5 years, but after the UTA game this year, I have not even attempted to make time for this team.

To me, yes. I was not happy or proud when Dodge was the coach, but his teams lacked talent from the start. This is a complete embarrassment on so many levels. I had probably at least listened to every game the last 5 years, but after the UTA game this year, I have not even attempted to make time for this team.

THIS!!!

No matter whose "fault" you think it is, no matter how many times you try to blame 18-20 year old kids for this atrocity, one fact remains. We are literally LOSING a fanbase that took a long time to build.

No amount of "you're a horrible person and fan if you don't show up and give money" can change the fact that the message is no longer even being heard, much less received. Your telethon isn't gonna work when people have turned off the television.

So now we'll spend the next few years mired in irrelevance when we had a shot at FINALLY getting one right around here. And save the protestations about how we can't blame this person, or that person. Save the garbage about how some people aren't dedicated enough. Basically, just quit with trying to lay the blame at the feet of someone, anyone, other than those who get paid to make this program successful. And not because I want them "fired" or because I'm bagging on them...they don't need you to run to their defense guys...rather because the damage is done.

The "same ol' North Texas" line is already deeply entrenched in the public's mind. Everyone has already pulled their pants up and their butts are no longer open for sunshine and rainbows to be pumped.

Edited by emmitt01
  • Upvote 5

THIS!!!

No matter whose "fault" you think it is, no matter how many times you try to blame 18-20 year old kids for this atrocity, one fact remains. We are literally LOSING a fanbase that took a long time to build.

No amount of "you're a horrible person and fan if you don't show up and give money" can change the fact that the message is no longer even being heard, much less received. Your telethon isn't gonna work when people have turned off the television.

So now we'll spend the next few years mired in irrelevance when we had a shot at FINALLY getting one right around here. And save the protestations about how we can't blame this person, or that person. Save the garbage about how some people aren't dedicated enough. Basically, just quit with trying to lay the blame at the feet of someone, anyone, other than those who get paid to make this program successful. And not because I want them "fired" or because I'm bagging on them...they don't need you to run to their defense guys...rather because the damage is done.

The "same ol' North Texas" line is already deeply entrenched in the public's mind. Everyone has already pulled their pants up and their butts are no longer open for sunshine and rainbows to be pumped.

That's it in a nutshell. Well said emmitt01.

19 rebounds against a smaller team. Just under 3 minutes left, UNT down 3 and ULM with the ball while UNT plays man to man defense, and PJ Hardwick completely turns his backl on his man (the guy who had been killing us from the 3 point line all night) in order to sag into the lane, but not only sags into the lane, but starts trying to anticipate a drive from a MUCH TALLER PLAYER, allowing his man, you know, the one that has been killing us all night from three, to spot up a good 15 feet from PJ. That is not an exaggeration. He lost his man by 15 feet. Because he is 5'8" and is sagging into the lane, to do what I have no idea.I was literally yelling from my seat for him to get on his man before ULM rotated the ball to him (ball rotation, a concept COMPLETELY lost on this coach and team). #4 for ULM gets the ball, lines up his 3 with no one within 10 feet of him, LITERALLY, and splashes it home.

GAME OVER.

There are so many things broken so badly on this team, it's not even funny. Alzee suspended, a guy that has done nothing but play his ass off the last 4 years, doing whatever any coach asked him to do, and has never been in any trouble. This thing is about to come apart at the seams. The ball movement that was there against the 2-3 against Troy was nowhere to be seen against ULM.

Weekday games are out for me from now on. Just too long of a drive to see all this talent wasted by one of the worst coaching hires in UNT history, if not the worst.

I share Emmitt's feeling about losing a fan base. I just hope after this thing ends at 10 or 11 wins (maybe) and a 1st round exit in Hot Springs that something is done besides blaming 18-21 year old kids, many who will leave this program after this year (mark it).

Everyone makes mistakes. Admitting and correcting this mistake is paramount to maintaining a fledging fan base.

• Upvote 3

I'd take Trilli back in a heartbeat over this. At least he specializes in facilities upgrades, while this guy only specializes in losing. Really sad to lose like that at home.

I always wonder why Trilli gets credit for facility upgrades He popped off about liking the UT color seats and quickly backed off and supposedly led to the recovering of the seats. Problem, he had little to do with any of it. Several fans did raise some money, see the plagues, for total of a few hundred units of the over 10,000 seats needed. Schools funds were used for most of the balance.

• Upvote 1

I always wonder why Trilli gets credit for facility upgrades He popped off about liking the UT color seats and quickly backed off and supposedly led to the recovering of the seats. Problem, he had little to do with any of it. Several fans did raise some money, see the plagues, for total of a few hundred units of the over 10,000 seats needed. Schools funds were used for most of the balance.

I bought a couple of green seats and was pretty upset I didn't get the individual seat plaque I was promised.

Then again, maybe I misread the fine print and was actually promised a plague instead of a plaque and this year is the plague I was promised.

Honestly, I wouldn't put it past NT Athletics.

• Upvote 6
  • Downvote 1

Thanks, RV...great hire you made here. I'm really looking forward to the next 3.5 years of this and seeing who you will hire after that with only a year left on his contract, severly handicapping what our poor athletic department can already spend on basketball. You're welcome, TCU, SMU, and UTA!! Enjoy the reality that North Texas will continue to be your best friend for media attention in the Metroplex!! And I guess should really congratulate the schools in the SBCUSA---since we won't even be competitive in this new league with all of our current conference mates, save for a few, including the team that just trucked us at our place. Again, nice job, RV!! Shanice Stephens thinks you're doing just great...

• Upvote 5

If we do not take immediate action and salvage something out of this season, here's what we should expect:

1. We will win about 9 games this season.

2. 2-3 of our top returning players will transfer at season's end.

3. Our recruiting will tank for years to come.

4. It will take between 3-8 years to have another winning season.

5. We will finish this season at or near the bottom of the Sun Belt and about 250 RPI spots worse than expected.

6. We will lose money over the course of the next several years vs. the cost of a buyout.

All of this is assuming that we wait until the end of the season and then make a coaching change. If we DON'T even do it then . . . we will have a vastly less talented team next year than our current roughly 9 win team (give or take a game), and we can expect to win 4-6 games next season and effectively be one of the worst teams in the nation.

I'm normally quite averse to fan "knee jerk" reactions that clamor for immediate firings after a few bad games, but this thing is beyond broken. I'm running out of comparisons in my mind. Todd Dodge (not to rag on the poor guy) accomplished far more with the level of talent he had at his disposal than our current basketball coach. Unprecedented failure necessitates an unprecedented response.

• Upvote 2

I bought a couple of green seats and was pretty upset I didn't get the individual seat plaque I was promised.

Then again, maybe I misread the fine print and was actually promised a plague instead of a plaque and this year is the plague I was promised.

Honestly, I wouldn't put it past NT Athletics.

Best answer

• Upvote 1

Yep, I bought seats as well. I recall it being said our names would be on the back of the seats we paid for. But, seems to me the big plaque in the concourse is a much better idea.

Plus, I did not donate so I could see my name on some plaque. I donated to help get rid of those awful orange seats. It wasn't about recognition for me, it was about the seats and about helping with this project.

Greenjoe was one of the folks who helped to spearhead this project. I recall his twisting my arm to get me to contribute. Good job, Joe. He 's still a donor to this day...thanks to greenjoe and all who give of their hard earned funds to help the Mean Green.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 2

Todd Dodge (not to rag on the poor guy) accomplished far more with the level of talent he had at his disposal than our current basketball coach.

At first I thought this was a crazy statement.

Then I stopped and thought about it.

You are exactly right. Unbelievable. Never thought I'd see worse than the Dodge years...let alone after just 2 years since he left town.

• Upvote 3