Next Saturday Oct. 22nd - world series

TheColonyEagle

F.

Doesn't matter what game of the WS is played that night...if the Rangers are in it, our attendance will look a lot like last week.

Homecoming will offset the world series, just hope for good weather and a win at U LA LA

• Upvote 2

I believe the late game thinking was that most Saturday kids sports are done by 4.

Late games give no excuse not to go...unless the Rangers are playing at home in the F'ing World Series.

Yes attendance will be affected. Tho since it is homecoming I don't think it will be THAT bad....but make no mistake that it will have some effect. I for one have wondered why we don't do more games that are earlier like 2 or 3 pm. I am not sure but I don't think attendance would be that much better or worse if our games were earlier in the day.

• Upvote 2

I say we trick our students by saying invitng them to a FB event for a large Rangers watch party going on at Apogee that night. The joke will be on them when students are eligible to enter a raffle for one oficially licensed Rangers (wrist) watch.

• Upvote 5

My daughter came home yesterday and told me she has a spelling bee next week. I promised her I would go, she's my daughter after all. Then I started thinking about it. She's never won a spelling bee that I can recall. All the other spellers are kids I've never heard of. Why can't she compete against some local kids, some kids I know from our neighbornhod? I know she needs me and all, but I'm told there's a debate tournament that day...and it's for the national title!!!

I'm sure in time she'll understand that I just have to prioritize.

Huh? If your daughter hasn't won before, why are you supporting her? Should you not root for that rich girl that wins a lot instead. Her mom made a bunch of shirts to support her daughter that her family wears. Even non-family members wear them. You don't have to be a family member to act like you are a family member. Just put on one of those burnt orange family shirts and cheer for the rich kid that wins a lot. Everyone else does it.

I jest, of course. By the way, here is a link to the homecoming festivities: http://homecoming.unt.edu/ Keep wearing green and support our kids.

• Upvote 1

I don't think it will affect attendance that much regardless of what we do this weekend. You all are under the impression that people are paying attention to how NT football is doing. The extra people who came to the first game aren't coming back until next year, or perhaps the last two games if we have run the table until then. Getting pounded the first third of every season runs off all the fans except the die hards. They go find some other bandwagon to join. If it weren't homecoming, I could see changing the time if it were ok for the players and coaches, but it is, so not a good idea.

What would be worse is bad weather.

I don't think it will affect attendance that much regardless of what we do this weekend. You all are under the impression that people are paying attention to how NT football is doing. The extra people who came to the first game aren't coming back until next year, or perhaps the last two games if we have run the table until then. Getting pounded the first third of every season runs off all the fans except the die hards. They go find some other bandwagon to join. If it weren't homecoming, I could see changing the time if it were ok for the players and coaches, but it is, so not a good idea.

What would be worse is bad weather.

But shouldn't the Athletic Department do everything in their power to make sure the weather is good as well?

• Upvote 1

My daughter came home yesterday and told me she has a spelling bee next week. I promised her I would go, she's my daughter after all. Then I started thinking about it. She's never won a spelling bee that I can recall. All the other spellers are kids I've never heard of. Why can't she compete against some local kids, some kids I know from our neighbornhod? I know she needs me and all, but I'm told there's a debate tournament that day...and it's for the national title!!!

I'm sure in time she'll understand that I just have to prioritize.

So is it your other daughter that's in the National Debate Championship?

• Upvote 2

Football way better than baseball...sorry, but true. Plus, it's a SERIES,missing one game won't kill any baseball fans. This pisses me off that it will hurt attendance.

That is your opinion.

As for it being a series...it is playoff baseball...every game is meaningful and it is the world effing series(If the Rangers get that far).

It doesn't need to piss you or anybody off. The ones that want to go to the game will go...those that dont wan't to go won't go.

That is your opinion.

As for it being a series...it is playoff baseball...every game is meaningful and it is the world effing series(If the Rangers get that far).

It doesn't need to piss you or anybody off. The ones that want to go to the game will go...those that dont wan't to go won't go.

Gagreed, let me first say that I will be in attendance and catch the rest of the Rangers game afterwards just like I did last Saturday. However, I always believed that a football game was better than a baseball game until last year when the little baseball team that I root for made it to the World Series. I have now experienced the greatness of playoff baseball and can say that especially a World Series game is better than a regular season football game. That being said, as I stated earlier I will be in attendance to support the Mean Green. I am glad that we start an hour earlier though.

It doesn't matter what time the game is scheduled for or what other activities are happening at the time...some folks will just complain and see it as the AD's fault.

Heck, schedule it in the afternoon and folks complain that it messes with their kids sports activities or that it is too early for them to get to Denton, or their "other" college is playing a day game and that is more important than the UNT game (See TX - OU excuse), some will say the sun will be too hot on the student side, and on and on and on.

Play it at its scheduled time and you get the "it's the World Series" crowd complaining...or any number of other reasons...too late for the kids, the students would rather be in Dallas, there is a concert, etc., etc.

Seems like we need some wrinkled $100 bills here.....

Can't win...PLAY THE GAME AS SCHEDULED! It's not like people haven't known what time the game is for several months now, and it is homecoming. Lots of morning, daytime and evening activities centered around homecoming...I believe there is a Hall of Fame Breakfast, Fraternity and Sorority morning and afternoon gatherings, a parade, travel arrangements and plans for the visiting team and on and on. If the Mean Green doesn't mean enough to you to get your rear in the stadium...well, enjoy the World Series. After all, those professional teams need your support so badly and certainly know who you are since you mean so much to them. All about priorities folks, but we have been down this road before and it was only the first round of the playoffs.

See you at Homecoming on the 22nd!

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

I believe the late game thinking was that most Saturday kids sports are done by 4.

Late games give no excuse not to go...unless the Rangers are playing at home in the F'ing World Series.

Great point. My son's soccer games are often around 12 or 1 PM but fortunately I requested a black out date given I'm the coach. Later in the day allows for most activities to play out and also for alumni associations to have a luncheon prior to the parade/game. Great way to get more people out. Plus in Texas there's a good chance we get a hot spell and who wants to sit under the blazing sun on a Saturday. I'm always a fan of night games.

Homecoming Schedule of Events

From the looks of the above schedule, it appears they could move the game up to 3:00pm if needed without effecting any other events. It is too bad the parad can't go down NT Blvd and through Denia so that the tailgaters can see it. That would be a great setting.

That is your opinion.

Of course it is my opinion and true to me. I'm not saying it has to be true for anybody else. BUT, Football is more popular than baseball, that's a fact. Anyway, I know UNT football isn't anything compared to World Series, but UNT students should all still go to their homecoming game, but I know some won't go to the series game but will watch it on TV instead. That bothers me and being a die-hard fan, it pisses me off there aren't all that many fans like me at UNT. Just my feelings, that's all.

• Upvote 1