Next Saturday Oct. 22nd - world series

TheColonyEagle

(Baseball gods I'm not assuming anything here so don't get mad)

But assuming the Rangers take care of business, game 3 of the World Series will be in Arlington at 7pm 10/22.

We have a home game at 6pm that day.

Will this affect attendance? Shouldn't the athletic department be changing kickoff to 2 pm RIGHT NOW?

Can they? How big of a deal is it to move kickoff up 3-4 hours?

with the exception of people watching the game from home, how many UNT fans are putting up funds to attend a world series game?

Assuming they can get a ticket.

From my perspective, following the game via smartphone app is about as exciting as the game itself and the football game will be way over before the important innings anyway. Unless you are a real diehard baseball fan and for those, do you think they would attend UNT football anyway?

• Upvote 1

People just need to get their priorities straight. UNT football first, Rangers second!

That is a reactive statement. The Ath. Dept needs to be proactive.

Everyone knows the current challenge we have with the fan base and casual fan but we need numbers. Attendance is critical this year. They have a chance to control their own success with this game IMHO. Choosing not to do anything about it and then saying, "they just need to change their priorities" is not smart and does not communicate the necessary sense of urgency.

Edited by TheColonyEagle

We have learned that die hard fans go to games regardless so that makes for about 15k. The problem is getting casual fans in seats and they will use any excuse not to go to a game including the Rangers playing in the world series. We might see an unusually high amount of people just staying in the tailgating areas to watch the game and drink beer as opposed to going inside the stadium.

If they change the time to 2 pm attendance will be upwards of 20,000 I predict. If they keep the same time, it will be close to 12,000. It's simple UNT. get it done

Sorry, but do you have even the slightest statistical evidence that changing the time a week out will have such a dramatic effect? Any at all? With homecoming that means changing plans fir every single organization that has alumni. That is every department, every organization, changing parade times with the city, chaining time for everyone one involve with the game. You are talking about hundreds if not thousands of notifications. Then you have call every season ticket holder as you don't have email contacts for all of them.

Unless there is more than "I know how NT fans react," this would be a terrible idea.

• Upvote 1

And the point of this is not to get into a "good fans" vs "bad fans" debate.

That can't be changed in the next 2 weeks.

But like I said, if attendance is important, regardless of how we or the athletic dept. think Mean Green fans should act, the athletic department should be adjusting accordingly.

Hell, make it a point, "We are changing the start time so Mean Green fans can see their favorite college football team and their favorite baseball team all in the same day. Put it on the jumbotron after the game. (if they legally can). Whatever.

Just Get out in front of this!

But like I said, if attendance is important, regardless of how we or the athletic dept. think Mean Green fans should act, the athletic department should be adjusting accordingly.

Hell, make it a point, "We are changing the start time so Mean Green fans can see their favorite college football team and their favorite baseball team all in the same day. Put it on the jumbotron after the game. (if they legally can). Whatever.

Just Get out in front of this!

So sad...so very sad. :cry:

Yes attendance will be affected. Tho since it is homecoming I don't think it will be THAT bad....but make no mistake that it will have some effect. I for one have wondered why we don't do more games that are earlier like 2 or 3 pm. I am not sure but I don't think attendance would be that much better or worse if our games were earlier in the day.

How we do against LaLa this Saturday will have a huge impact on attendance. If we win, we'll still get a crowd...if we lose, it will be another reason for the fence sitters to just stay home and watch the world series.

Just Get out in front of this

I feel your concern but it is only game three of the ws. Game one or a deciding game four, five etc and attendance at The Ap would be crushed.

So sad...so very sad. :cry:

Kram, I totally agree with you....and maybe it's impossible to change the start time but I hope they're at least exploring it.

Reality is reality. I just don't look forward to the handful of hard core fans getting on here on 10/23 talking about how bad our fans suck. And I don't want to hear from the AD talking about how our fans need to make UNT a priority. They have a chance to control the attendance for that particular game.

If there is anything that can be done, they need to be doing everything in their power to move the kickoff up.

Or we can all just cross our fingers and whine about competition in DFW. The competition is not going away so the AD can either come up with creative ways to compete with it or continue to get pummeled by it.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1