A Few Sun Belt Wins

Aquila_Viridis

Should not be considered in this hire. That is small-time thinking.

But if he wins K-State he is a miracle worker and hire him on the spot.

I actually agree on this. If we beat ULM and K-State, he will have gone 4-1 in his time, with the one loss being a close game to Troy, who, talent-wise, is the best of the SBC and has been for a long time. If we were to beat Kansas State, who will be playing in a bowl game and will most likely be 7-4 coming into our game and ranked, would be as big as any we have had at this school in 30 years. Coaching this group up, after all of the injuries, and closing out the glorious day of playing our last game in a toilet by beating a ranked Big XII team would almost automatically put him in as HFC next year. That said, I still believe that we will lose to K-State and that even with a win over ULM, he will not be the choice for our next head coach. I still see the strong possibility that Leavitt will be get the HFC position and that Chico will be his Assistant Head Coach with a BIG RAISE. Maybe I am wrong, but I think that its a very strong possibility.

I actually agree on this. If we beat ULM and K-State, he will have gone 4-1 in his time, with the one loss being a close game to Troy, who, talent-wise, is the best of the SBC and has been for a long time. If we were to beat Kansas State, who will be playing in a bowl game and will most likely be 7-4 coming into our game and ranked, would be as big as any we have had at this school in 30 years. Coaching this group up, after all of the injuries, and closing out the glorious day of playing our last game in a toilet by beating a ranked Big XII team would almost automatically put him in as HFC next year. That said, I still believe that we will lose to K-State and that even with a win over ULM, he will not be the choice for our next head coach. I still see the strong possibility that Leavitt will be get the HFC position and that Chico will be his Assistant Head Coach with a BIG RAISE. Maybe I am wrong, but I think that its a very strong possibility.

The very last part of your post, untjim1995, that I underlined is a scenerio many of us could live with.

A very strong Canales supporter (with few posts) very class-like sent a message of apology to me this AM about some past PM's and apologized for one particular poster (whose moniker I will not post).

The apology was easiley accepted but I still tried to explain to him that this has never been about a personality whatsoever but was merely just many of us just wanting to try another hiring direction this time around. I told him if not Chico in this role it could have been Coach Doe, Coach Smith, Coach Johnson, etc, but it was never about Coach Canales at all. I think that is how most feel who still want another direction.

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Downvote 1

I'm happy with what Canales has done in his brief time as the interm coach. I believe we will beat ULM on Saturday. If we do, then I think we should name Canales as our new head coach.

I don't expect to beat Kansas State, but I feel confident we won't get embarrassed.

I think 3-2, with a win over MTSU, a close loss to Troy, and a respectable loss to K. St., is remarkable for 5 games with another coaches team, and base playbook. Personally, I feel this program is night and day from what it has been the last 4+ years, and under Canales it will only get better. We can see it is already getting better. Another coach could come in and win, but I think that would be a bigger risk. How long would it take that coach to evaluate his players and get them where he wants them in his new system? How long would it take him to start winning games? Will he give us a chance to win that opener in the new stadium against Houston next season? Will that coach have us challenging for the SBC Title and a bowl game next season?

I think we know Canales can win, and win now.

• Upvote 2

There are really too many threads on this topic at this point... we should admin them all into one super thread, but why are we all just sitting here repeating ourselves over and over and over on the subject?

Not to be a killjoy, but what else can be said that hasn't already until we have some new news?

• Upvote 2

There are really too many threads on this topic at this point... we should admin them all into one super thread, but why are we all just sitting here repeating ourselves over and over and over on the subject?

Not to be a killjoy, but what else can be said that hasn't already until we have some new news?

Not sure I agree on the too many threads, since many have a different angle. It is a topic that many people have something to say about. They post where they post. I read most of the threads, so generally if someone has something to say, at least someone sees it wherever it is.

Anyway at the moment I am really excited about NT sports. It can all come crashing down fast, but what a stage is set at this time. With a win over ULM and a basketball win against Rice, the support and momentum going into the K-State game would be very high. If they pulled it off (I would like to point out that K-State failed to exploit weaknesses of the Missouri team), really it might be the most memorable season ever. A win against K-State equals a win against Texas this year. I know this is insane conjecture, but I'm insane!

Should not be considered in this hire. That is small-time thinking.

But if he wins K-State he is a miracle worker and hire him on the spot.

So you're willing to put the whole football program on his shoulders for the next say....3-5 years just because he beat a couple of bad SBC teams and had just one win against a decent not by no means stellar K-State team?

That is almost just as worse than hiring a high school coach to be our HFC.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

So you're willing to put the whole football program on his shoulders for the next say....3-5 years just because he beat a couple of bad SBC teams and had just one win against a decent not by no means stellar K-State team?

That is almost just as worse than hiring a high school coach to be our HFC.

Well actually what I said is that the SBC wins should not even be considered. The not-stellar K-State team obliterated Texas. Now I have seen Texas play several times this year, in person, and one must wonder if they will get by FAU. (Of course I recognize they may come together and obliterate FAU but man have they been bad.) But still, KS did prove they are a big-time program. If the coach can prove he can get our little program a win against a big program, I'm on board. Do you recall any such thing ever happening before for us?

Guest MeanGreenHomer

I don't understand why everyone is so anti-Canales. He is the interim head coach, of course he is going to be a candidate for the job. That does not mean he is the only one, but he has earned an opportunity to be considered.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

The legendary "I'm Not Sayin" thread would object to the formation of this new 16 thread "Superthread"

• Upvote 1

Do you recall any such thing ever happening before for us?

I recall a MGN going pretty ape-sh*t after the win over a less-than-stellar Baylor team.

I love Canales, but if he gets hired I think it will be because of the Belt wins AND a kstate win. Both represent - if only on a small scale - ability to coach up consistency and one-game heroics.

One or the other by themselves is just...ordinary. Leavitt is my first choice, but if this finishes with the team winning out...Canales might become my new no. 1.

• Downvote 1

Well actually what I said is that the SBC wins should not even be considered. The not-stellar K-State team obliterated Texas. Now I have seen Texas play several times this year, in person, and one must wonder if they will get by FAU. (Of course I recognize they may come together and obliterate FAU but man have they been bad.) But still, KS did prove they are a big-time program. If the coach can prove he can get our little program a win against a big program, I'm on board. Do you recall any such thing ever happening before for us?

"Well actually what I said is that the SBC wins should not even be considered" -Aquila_Viridis

Apparently some have lost their perspective when conference wins are no longer good enough.

Why are so many on this forum willing to give Canales a chance ONLY if he wins out, beats K-State, etc. So if he doesnt win out, (probably wont), my question would be: which of your USDA Prime Hero All-World dream coaches could keep our buick rolling with as many back ups as Canales has done? Maybe all of them...maybe none. I see alot of homework done by alot of knowledgeable fans on this forum. Seems to me that the info would be out there on any other coaches that have gone thru this (loss of players) and turned it around to YOUR liking. I would want to know if ANY big name coaches have ever lost +50% of their starters and kept it all afloat. If this is not the standard for all candidates, why does it seem to be the ONLY standard for Chico. Canales has basically taken our broken down Buick and gotten it back on the road and at least gotten it rolling in "drive" instead of "reverse", puking all the fluids out, smoke billowing out, fenders missing,etc. I am not a Canales ONLY guy. I doubt Chico will get the final nod under the very best of circumstances anyway. The yardstick should be the same for all considered. I AM waiting on the the perfect clone of Fry/Fran/Levett/Stallings/et al to get hired so we can finally get all the man-love drool mopped up before the next opener !! End of the season or not, we are on bald tires people....and going uphill with no gas !!!! Freddie Kitchens...where are you ???

• Upvote 3

... keep our buick rolling...

... taken our broken down Buick and gotten it back on the road and at least gotten it rolling in "drive" instead of "reverse", puking all the fluids out, smoke billowing out, fenders missing,etc.

I see what you did...

So the buick is broken down, but being taken out of the garage since the Dodge and Ford are gone.

Are there any other coaches with automobile names out there that we could hire? (Please don't tell me there's someone named Yugo).

"Well actually what I said is that the SBC wins should not even be considered" -Aquila_Viridis

Apparently some have lost their perspective when conference wins are no longer good enough.

SAM Coach, are you still on the same kick? If we were any FBS league except the SBC (which even most its top teams are down this season) conference wins might pack more punch --but in 10 years of the SBC we have (still) not had any of our schools in the Top 25 and I'm not sure even Top 50 (although I stand to be corrected on that one).

So just sue us, SAM Coach, because Harry's polls still say most NT Exes want to go another direction with this hire. We've tried all the others the last 6 hires. Can you accept that w/o making all this so personal to (it seems) mostly you?

Be around Mean Green football since the early 1970's and then try to understand where some of us are coming from, OK?

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Downvote 1

Just so I understand this: None of you guys will count the SBC wins of our next coach? They don't count, right?

I don't think anyone is saying that. I think it's more blindly following someone because they have a lot of enthusiasm and coached 2 victories over less than stellar teams. Canales should stand on his body of work, not 3 weeks of it. The guy is really likable. No one on this board should take this coaching search personal. If you are taking it personal you are either too involved with one of the candidates, or need to get a life.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Just so I understand this: None of you guys will count the SBC wins of our next coach? They don't count, right?

They will count, but some of us actually think UNT can do what La Tech has done for years and that is win numerous "Body Bag" games, too. Some of us also think UNT can recruit like Troy who has put a helluva' bunch of their players in the NFL. Question: How many NFL players has UNT put on active rosters the last 10 years?

Back To La Tech Who We Get Beat Out On Too Many Times On Texas HS Football Products:

The Bulldogs beat Alabama 2 years in a row if memory serves (and numerous others true Big Boy schools for that matter). Can we say UNT should just beat SBC schools, go to the Big Easy and then get our heads handed to us on a silver platter? This new hire needs to get us out of that bad habit which some seem so damn comfortable with as their true NCAA panacea. It would not be anywhere else but we know (of late) Denton is not anywhere else, now don't we?

Why do we still set our FB goals so Dickey'esque? You know, lose all our OOC games, then shoot fish in the SBC fish barrell runnning the table (like our first 4 years), go to a bowl as a Bottom 25 SBC FB Champion (or close to being in the Bottom 25) and then seeing most times how so far the SBC FB Champion really is in recruiting against the rest of the FBS (except of late with MUTS and Troy).

Still not what I feel our majority wants to do. Just check Harry's Poll unless its been stuffed again with skewed voting.

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

SAM Coach, are you still on the same kick? If we were any FBS league except the SBC (which even most its top teams are down this season) conference wins might pack more punch --but in 10 years of the SBC we have (still) not had any of our schools in the Top 25 and I'm not sure even Top 50 (although I stand to be corrected on that one).

So just sue us, SAM Coach, because Harry's polls still say most NT Exes want to go another direction with this hire. We've tried all the others the last 6 hires. Can you accept that w/o making all this so personal to (it seems) mostly you?

Be around Mean Green football since the early 1970's and then try to understand where some of us are coming from, OK?

GMG!

Plum,

Whether the SBC is "Not Good" enough to have a team ranked in the Top 25 or Top 50 is irrelevant. That is the conference we are in, and the wins or losses in your own conference is the most important to a team and program. Just look at Michigan and Rich Rodriguez, he has won a lot of his OOC games and lost most Big 10 games and that is why he is on the hot seat. Am I trying to compare the Big 10 to the SBC, absolutely not. My point is the most important wins that a team can have is in Conference Games....period! And until UNT is no longer in the SBC, focusing on beating SBC teams should be priority #1. Conference Championships!!

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1